Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Melted - Candles From The Keeping Room / Country Bumpkin

Country Bumpkin - 'A wonderful complex blend of apples, candied yams, marshmallows, sweet cream butter, brown sugar, nutmeg, crushed cinnamon bark and fresh cloves.
Bring the country home to you.'

A year ago, I was obsessed with this scent in soap form.  When I got this tart as part of a gift, I was thrilled to see what scent it was!  I know soap can slightly change scents even if it's the same scent used in lotion or tarts or whatever, and that must be it because in tart form I just haven't been nearly as satisfied with this scent.  On cold throw, I wasn't getting much but even so it was nothing like I remember Country Bumpkin being.  It seemed much 'brighter' and fruitier.
I melted this entire 1.2 oz. tart in my tea light warmer.  Candles From The Keeping Room is the shop I've been most excited about lately, chomping at the bit to place an order for myself, and thrilled to have gotten a few from other people.  So I was *VERY* excited to melt this tart!  And I was *VERY* disappointed to find only a very light scent throw.  Noooooooooo!  Not only was it barely noticeable but it smelled nothing like I remember my beloved Country Bumpkin smelling.  This one seemed almost like straight up apple cider, which is a scent I just do no like.  I was so bummed!

I had to leave the house for an hour or so for Casey's shoulder therapy appointment, and when we got back I was slightly relieved that I could at least smell something as soon as I came through the door.  It was light in about half of the downstairs rooms but at least it was there.  And the deeper, warmer notes of the blend seemed to have come out more after a good long warming time.  I really don't know how to explain this scent, especially when this one was so light, but it's sort of a deep and complex sweet-warm-spice scent.  The marshmallow, yams, and butter usually give it a gooey sweetness, while the spice adds a bit of zip.

Unfortunately, this one was just too light to get all of that.  I think I still have a bar of soap in this scent, so I'll just go sniff that.  LOL  

2 comments:

  1. Oh...so this doesn't smell like the "real" country bumpkin? Hmmmm...that's a bummer! I melted this a few days ago and I thought it was nice...but your scent description of what it's supposed to smell like sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the scent mainly from being in soap, and the soap making process does very slightly alter scents. If you use the exact same fragrance oil in a batch of soap and a batch of lotion, the soap will smell slightly different. Maybe that is what the difference is for me. And maybe if I'd had a stronger scent throw on this one I'd have noticed more of the familiar notes.

    Do you have any bulb style warmers? Do you put stronger watt bulbs in? I've heard of people going up to 40 watts. Just wondering if it makes much difference . . . ?

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete