Tuesday, December 4, 2012

My First Influenster Box!!

Influenster is a program that I've tried twice and had nothing but frustration with ... until now.  I don't remember if I've blogged about it before, or if I've just grumbled about it somewhere along the way.  Earlier this year, when I'd considered making this blog a review blog, I'd heard about the Influenster program through some YouTubers.  I checked it out and thought it would be great fun.  If you don't know, it's a totally free program where you 'earn' products to try and then review and discuss them through social media like blogs, Twitter, Facebook.  You create a profile on the Influenster site, and then you unlock badges related to different areas or interests.  You unlock these badges by answering questions, linking your accounts, etc.  That part was fun.  Then it all got frustrating.

Back when I first signed up the website was so uninformative.  You were limited on how many badges you could unlock but it didn't really tell you that.  So I just went through the list starting from the beginning, instead of picking the areas I was most interested in.  And then there was nothing.  No way to earn more badges.  No extra things to do to boost your chances of earning products.  No sort of news on the homepage or anything.  Just nothing.  So I rage quit.  (Ha, gamer terms.)  I wanted to delete my account but couldn't.  I think I had to email them or something, and then they only deactivated it.

Some time went by and I heard others talking about the program more, and that there had been some changes.  So I tried to sign up again.  Ah, but it told me my name/email were already associated with the program.  Really?  Cuz I closed that account.  So I can reopen it if it's still there, right?  Nope.  Contacted them to ask about reactivating.  No, we can't do that.  Oh, well then can you get rid of my info so I can sign up again?  Uh, no, but you can use a different email address.  Wtf?  *rage quit #2*

Or maybe I did sign up again with a different address.  I can't remember the order of events.

Anyhoo!  More time goes by and I see someone who does almost nothing online get a one of the Influenster boxes.  Really????  So once again, apparently just having a YouTube channel is the key to it all, even if that channel is crap and barely active.  Maybe that was when  Rage Quit #2 happened.

Shortly after that I got an email notification that I was on the list of possibles to get the next box.  All I had to do was log in, fill out the special survey, and wait.  Well, that's fabulous except I can't log in to that account because you say it doesn't exist and can't be reopened, even though the site tells me the email addy is still stored and, hello, you just sent me a notification for the program.  Whatever, people.

Fast forward to now.  Maybe two weeks ago I received another such notification, and I once again tried figuring out how to either reopen that account or get it deleted once and for all.  Somewhere in my raging anger, I noticed THIS notification was sent to my second account addy (which is forwarded to my main addy).  DOH!  Duh me!  Once I discovered that I was able to get into that second account and fill out the survey.  While there I found tons of changes to the website and the program.  I was having fun filling out the surveys and things, unlocking badges, raising my 'influence' score . . . and then again received the message that I'd reached the limit on badges.  I wish you'd make that clearer from the start, guys!

But whatever.  I filled out the survey, tended my profile, and waited.  I was actually quite surprised to get word that I would indeed be getting a box.  Woot!

I received the Cosmo VoxBox.  When I saw that it was a Cosmo box I thought 'What the heck?  Why would they pick ME for something girlie and makeup filled?'  Then I figured it was because I'd not unlocked badges according to my interests, so I was probably dumped into this group.  Ok, that's fine . . . I was getting a VoxBox!  (And it turns out it wasn't that girlie and makeup filled at all.)

I guess I didn't realize there were so many different products in the boxes.  Or maybe that's one of the changes since I was last paying attention.  This was almost like a Cravebox!  Yay!

When I first opened the box and saw this razor on top (before realizing there was anything else) I felt like *UGH* 'This is so cheap, this is what every person in every one of these types of programs gets.'  I don't use this kind of razor (just plain ol' pink disposable Daisy for me, thanks) and when I tried one similar to this that I'd gotten free somewhere else, I didn't like it.  But I guess the whole point of Influenster is to try things and let others know how we feel, so I guess I can give this a try.

This is the Venus Embrace razor, with an extra packet of interchangeable Venus & Olay replacement blades, and $2.00 off coupon.  Pretty nice for freebies.  Plus, the organza bag these came in could come in handy during this holiday season to put small gifts or something in.

When I pulled the razor package out and saw more things in the box, I was thrilled.  And to see chocolate made all the frustration worth while!  LOL!  I don't buy Ghirardelli chocolate but it was about this time last year that I got a bar in a Secret Santa thing I'd participated in, and I think I may have gotten some in Cravebox or something.  Getting Ghirardelli is always a treat for me.  This one says 'New!' and is Sea Salt Escape flavor.  It says 'Milk chocolate with sea salt and roasted almonds.'  It also says 'Gourmet Milk' near the top.  I don't know if that's a line of chocolate within this brand, or if they all say that.  I think I will be nibbling this tonight after supper.  Maybe I'll even share with the menfolk, hehe.

There are two pens in this box.  They are FriXion (by Pilot) erasable gel pens.  Interesting!  I can always use pens, and getting these once again reminds me of Cravebox.  Very cool.  The pink one is indeed bright pink ink.  Can't use that at work but it will be fun to use for shopping lists or little notes for hubby.

I almost freaked when I saw this in the box!!  I very rarely go to Bath & Body Works but I do get the emails and things in my snail mail, so I have been aware of their newest scent, Forever Red.  I have not smelled it yet.  I've wondered what it's like.  And now to see it in my very first Influenster box, after all the trouble and hassle and plain old giving up on the program . . . ?  AND it's the Eau de Parfume.  (I don't know why that's better than the plain body mist but apparently it is.)  The scent description on the card is '... passionate blend of pomegranate and red osmanthus with a sexy surprise of vanilla rum ...'  This is a .25 fl. oz. bottle, valued at $10.  I have no idea what 'red osmanthus' is but I do like this scent.  It's more sophisticated than just fruit and vanilla, but that's what I mainly get from it.  The pomegranate is fruity and juicy, and the vanilla sweetens and warms it.  I think I pick up sublte traces of that rum that's mentioned, and then there is something very pretty but not really floral.  I really like this!  I might have to add some B&BW to my Birthday/Christmas list!!

So after a rough start in this program, I must admit that I'm quite thrilled and impressed with the boxes they send out.  I know they have different types of boxes (this one is the Cosmo, remember) that different people are selected for based on their interests or however it works.  I know each type of box is different, but I don't know if each box within the same type contains all the same things.  Like, did everyone who got this Cosmo box get exactly the same items I got?  Or did some get a different flavor chocolate, or different color pen, or different B&BW scent?  That I'm not sure about.

And I realize that trashing the program as I did at the beginning of this post doesn't do much to earn me points, but on the other hand it points out some very real and frustrating trouble spots in the program.  Maybe I'll never get another box.  Who knows?  Considering I did nothing the past how many months to even boost my chances of earning this one, I wonder if it really matters?  Still, I will do all the followup things they want us to do, and I will try to stay more active on the site now that I know I *can* get something without a YouTube channel.  But whatever happens, I was bucket loads of thrilled to have received all these goodies!

Disclaimer - I received each product complimentary for testing purposes from Influenster.

13 comments:

  1. Cosmo box! Ha! You got some good loot though. I'd like to see your reviews! I want to see the review of that razor since you don't normally use one like that. Also the chocolate - it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even really want to use it because I know I don't like that style. LOL

      I had put everything back into the box after writing this post, and forgot all about the chocolate. Just a little bit ago I was looking for some chocolate (I usually have KitKats in my desk) and found I was out. DUH! Forgot I have this bar sitting here. Will devour it now ...

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I received the same box, except I had a black pen and a PURPLE pen. That was the only difference. I shared the chocolate with my grandma as she likes milk & i like dark. we ate the entire bar while shopping yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purple! Goooooo, Vikings! :)

      Have you been an Influenster long, received other boxes? This is my first ... I'm not even quite sure what to expect now.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. This is really cool! Glad it finally worked out for you. Sea Salt Ghirardelli sounds awesome, I had no idea there was such a thing as erasable gel pens and for some reason I always get excited about new pens (well, not crappy cheapest Bics, but you know what I mean), and it's awesome that you like the perfume! You know, it's funny about the razor--I used the more expensive razors like this where you buy the replacement blades for years, thinking it was the smartest thing because I have *so* much trouble with irritation after shaving, and then a few years ago I bought a pack of the cheapest crap from Walmart, the 6 or 8 purple ones for a $1.20 or whatever, and they do me better than the other ones did. I still have some trouble, but not as much. It makes you wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every once in a while I will buy the cheapie razors at Walmart but usually it's just force of habit that I grab the regular pink Daisy pack.

      This was a really cool box. If I never get another from Influenster, at least I was happy with this one.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. I switched to those Venus razors 'cause I can shave faster and be less careful about cutting myself with the spring-loaded head. They sent you the fanciest version though, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still just sitting here, just waiting to be tried, waiting to be reviewed, staring at me, wondering why I ignore it . . .

      ~Deb

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your advice! I was wondering how to work this influenster program! :)

    www.girlinbetsey.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. I really don't do much with mine. I rarely, barely use Twitter and if I do it's only to reply to something someone else tweeted. I don't make YouTube videos. I don't really do Influenster type things on Facebook. It's really just my blog, and that doesn't get me much.

      If you're active in all the other outlets you'll do fine.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  6. It's been an approximate year later. Did you ever get another box. I am enjoying filling out surveys and adding my input but, I am not quite understanding the scoring system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember for sure at the moment but I don't think I ever got another actual VoxBox, but I did get to try some product. Other than that, no, nothing. But I've sort of given up again too. They seem to base EVERYTHING around Twitter now, so if you're not constantly active on there it's like you have no chance.

      I suppose I could try doing more on the actual site, like reviews and things, but it seems like 'Why?'

      I do know there seems to be a billion different boxes going out constantly. I know of one blogger who seems to be getting things frequently but never mentions them on her blog, only does the Twitter activities.

      ~Deb

      Delete