Thursday, December 13, 2012

Ollie's Soaps - Tarts

Ollie's Soaps is a vendor that is brand new to me.  While I have heard the name mentioned on YouTube, it was from a blog that I decided to give this shop a try.  And it wasn't for the soaps, but for the tarts.  I only placed a small order, as I prefer to do when first trying a new place.

One thing I was just tickled pink about was that owner Ayano wrote her thank you note on an actual Seattle postcard.  Little known fact about me . . . I love collecting postcards.  And since I doubt I'll ever get to Seattle, this was a very cool little treat for me.

Ok, what did I order?

Serendipity Noel - [no description available]

I have Serendipity from another vendor and while I haven't melted it yet, I have fallen in love with the scent just from cold sniff.  And I already know I like Vanilla Bean Noel, so I thought this would be a good mix,  (Serendipity is a mix of vanilla, cherry, orange, powdered sugar, and coconut.  Vanilla Bean Noel is vanilla, caramel, hint of musk, and I can't remember what else.)  And yeah, this is a super sweet and yummy scent.  The Serendipity is stronger, all that candy-like sweetness, bright and happy . . . but then the Noel adds a bit of a creamy undertone, with that caramel giving it a bit of a warm sweetness.  Be warned!  This is SUPER sweet, but not in a choking 'I just inhaled Pixie Stix powder!' way.  And how dang cute is that little donut shape?

Vanilla Frosted Grahams - [no description available]

More cute little donut shaped donuts, and how can you go wrong with the scent of Vanilla Frosted Grahams?  This is a sweet but cozy bakery scent.  There is something that could be like graham crackers, but kinda reminds me of a sugar cookie scent.  Then there is a sweet note lurking, not really like buttercream, but sweet vanilla.  Cookie or graham, this is still a really nice scent.  Actually, since I'm all about peppermint lately, I wonder how this would be with a bit of that mixed in.  Hmmm!  I might have to try some mixology!

That is all I ordered, but Ayano was generous enough to include several freebies.  (Thank you!!)

Fruity Fruit Loops - [no description available]

This is a super uber mega popular scent, and one that I do not join the bandwagon for.  It is SUPER sweet, like the aforementioned 'I inhaled Pixie Stix powder!' type sweet.  I *does* smell like the cereal, you almost can smell the crunchy part of the cereal, but it's just so cavity-creating-ly sweet that it's too much for me.  Maybe I'll melt this in small pieces when we get closer to spring, or maybe I'll just pass it on to someone else.  I always love getting freebies because it's fun to try things you  might not have considered getting otherwise, but this one just isn't for me.

Sweet Milk - [no description available]

Another very popular scent these days, this one is quite interesting.  Hubby and I had fun trying to pinpoint just what is was we were smelling.  Hubby said, "It's like you smell something one time, and something else the next time."  He's right.  Sometimes when I sniff this it's just a creamy, sweet scent.  Sometimes it seems like a creamed corn scent.  Sometimes there is almost a sour milk note.  Right now, I'm getting that sort of corn scent . . . almost like a very light cornbread or corn pudding note . . . with a sort of warm sugar sweetness mixed in.  This will be very interesting when melted.

Pink Candy Corn - [no description available]

I received two of these little guys in Pink Candy Corn scent.  Right now all I really smell is Pink Sugar, and that's not surprising because Candy Corn is usually a rather light scent.  Pink Sugar is cotton candy, vanilla, caramel, musk, and several slight notes of fruit and things.  It's a very popular perfume, and hugely popular as both a wax and bath/body product scent.  I've always liked the scent, so I'm happy to have these little tarts.

And that is my small haul from Ollie's Soaps.  There are several styles of tarts in this Etsy shop.  The 4-pk donut shaped ones are $2.50 a pack.  There are also clamshell style, scalloped, and even chunk style.  You can also find soaps, body butter, and bath bombs at Ollie's Soaps.

Shipping was FAST.  I ordered on Monday morning (Dec. 10) and received my package on Wednesday (Dec. 12)!!!  Everything was nicely packaged and arrived in perfect condition in a regular padded yellow envelope.  Shipping charge was $5.00, although actual was only $2.30.  A lot of smaller shops will refund overages.  This one did not.  Even so, $5.00 is quite cheap compared to some of the standard rates other shops charge.  (**UPDATE** I was indeed given a partial refund for shipping overcharges.  I posted too soon.  Oops!)  While I have not actually melted any of these, I can assure you that the cold scents are very strong and full.  I'm feeling confident these will perform fine when melted.

So overall, I'm extremely pleased with my first Ollie's Soaps experience.  I can easily see myself ordering from this shop again.

Have YOU tried Ollie's Soaps yet?


11 comments:

  1. Ohhhh! Those look cute and you got some awesome scents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are super cute, but they don't look quite as 'full' as Front Porch's tarts. The price and lightning fast shipping can't be beat though. Hope they perform well!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you got to try this vendor, hopefully you enjoy what you got! I want to try all of these scents, they sound awesome! Her shipping is ridiculously fast, which is always a plus! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the recent post on your blog that made me decide to order! :)

      Have you tried the bath/body products?

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. OH! I'm glad I converted you into a customer! :)

      I haven't tried any of the bath or body products, but I don't really use bath bombs or bar soap, but the body butter is intriguing.

      Delete
    3. I don't use bath bombs either because I'm just not a bath lounger, but I would *like* to be, especially these days when I'm so frazzled. I do use handcrafted bar soaps but hers are melt-n-pour, and I usually don't bother with those.

      I *still* have not melted any of these tarts! Every time I get a new order from somewhere, I always feel like I have to use up older stuff first. And since these aren't particularly Christmas-y, I keep grabbing other scents to melt first.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. More donuts! :) The Sweet Milk sounds really intriguing. You can pass the Fruit Loops my way if you want, if it still needs a home ... hee. Does the Vanilla Frosted Grahams smell anything like the graham crackers with frosting on them that Mom made when we were kids? I remember eating those on Sunday nights when Grandma was over and Lawrence Welk was on. :D Did I ever tell you that Brad's mom used to make those, too? I always thought it was just a low-rent thing we had because we were poor, but I guess it was more widespread. Lol! Of course, Brad's family weren't loaded either.

    Holy crap, that is fast shipping.

    I find it so funny how swept up I get in looking at the pictures of the tarts/soaps/lotions and reading about their scents (in your blog entries). It's like, do I plan on ordering? No. Do I have it here to smell? No. But it's still fun to look at and read about. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "You can pass the Fruit Loops my way if you want..."
    I thought you wanted a beef stick and cheese ball?

    Sometimes I have a craving for those good ol' graham crackers with frosting but I never do anything about it. We almost never have graham crackers in the house anyway. The boys never got into that! I tried a couple times when they were little and they just turned their noses up at Frosted Crackers. Weirdos!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want it all. Does anyone make a beef stick & cheese ball tart?

    Losers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't surprise me! There are bacon scented tarts.

      ~Deb

      Delete