Thursday, January 10, 2013

Haul - Amazon

Love me some Amazon!

As mentioned in a previous post, I placed a fairly large Amazon order on New Year's Eve.  I was needing the third book in the Mortal Instruments series but Santa hadn't brought it and we had no luck finding it in local stores so I knew I'd have to get it from Amazon.  There was a series hubby had been wanting so I decided I might as well order that too.  Then I just decided to get some other things I'd been wanting, instead of putting it off and making scattered small orders.

So let's take a look!

First, and possibly boring to some, are three cds.  I love soundtracks and scores, and I must have complete sets of things.  I never had gotten the last two soundtracks from the TV show Lost.  Yes, I have the soundtrack cds from Lost.  I *LOVED* that show, was obsessed with it like nothing else.  I still can't help crying when I hear the sad piano music from Boone's death, or the music from the first season finale when the raft set sail.  Ohhhhhhmygod, who did not cry when Vincent the dog started swimming after it????

Anyway, finally got the final two seasons and it will be quite trippy to listen to them because I pretty much immediately fell out of Lost-mode after that ripoff of a finale.

I also got the Breaking Dawn, Part 2 score cd.  I got the soundtrack cd for my birthday.  I have not seen the movie yet.  I have not listened to either of these newest cds yet.  But I do have the complete set from all the movies now.

Hubby wanted this Fablehaven series, by Brandon Mull.  We actually already had the first book, but it was way cheaper to get the whole boxed set than try and get each of the other books individually.  A while ago when he had tried to get back into a reading habit, he'd been browsing the books at Walmart with me, and picked this first one.  These books are meant for younger readers, like pre-teens or something, but I think it's like with Harry Potter where adults love to follow the adventures too.  I have not read these, but I might at some point down the road, if I fall into a lull with my own reading list.  I'm not even quite sure what it's about, just know that it's magic and fantasy and kids trying to save the day.  But hubby really enjoyed that first one so if it helps him find his reading groove again, I'm all for it.  Hehe.  (Now if the boys would read more ... )

The war between Exiles and Angels is on — and she's wanted by both sides.

The hotly anticipated follow-up to Embrace, Entice ramps up the captivating combination of angel mythology, forbidden romance and intense action. Seventeen-year-old Violet Eden's whole life changed when she discovered she is Grigori – part angel, part human.

Her destiny is to protect humans from the vengeance of exiled angels. Knowing who to trust is key, but when Grigori reinforcements arrive, it becomes clear everyone is hiding something - even her partner, Lincoln.

And now Violet has to learn to live with her feelings for him while they work together to stay alive and stop the exiles from discovering the key to destroy all Grigori. It isn't easy. Especially when the electricity between her and exile Phoenix ignites, and she discovers his hold over her has become more dangerous than ever.

The race halfway across the world to find the one artifact that could tilt the balance of power between Angels and Exiles brings them to the cradle of civilization, where Violet's power will be pushed to the extreme. And the ultimate betrayal exposed.
 
Entice, by Jessica Shirvington, is the sequel to that beautiful purple covered book, Embrace, that I fell in love with last year . . . the one that kicked off my journey into angel books.  (My thoughts on that book HERE.)  I've been impatiently waiting for this book!  It was supposedly released in October and I was checking stores like crazy but never did see it.  Then I actually forgot about it for a bit until I saw someone mention it in a YouTube book video.  I forgot it again when I was placing my big Amazon order and actually had to go back and quick add a second smaller order.  And now that I have it, I'm kinda wanting to jump right into this one instead of finishing the Mortal Instrument series.  Doh!

I already have the third book in this series pre-ordered.  It comes out in March, according to last reports.

To save her mother’s life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters—never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family’s past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he’s willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City—whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the third installment of bestselling series the Mortal Instruments.
 
This is the book that I needed, the one that made me place the order to begin with.  This is the third in the Mortal Instrument series.  I already have my thoughts about the first book posted ( HERE ), and am hoping to get my thoughts on the second book posted today.   Looking forward to diving into this one.

Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What’s more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length . . . everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world. . . . and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.
 
This is the first book in the companion series to the Mortal Instruments books.  I guess it's a prequel series.  This series actually caught my interest more because it's set back in 1800s England.  Since I already the first two books of the other series though, I figured I should read those first.  I'm really looking forward to this though!

True love is shrouded in secrets and lies in the #1 New York Times bestselling second book of the Infernal Devices trilogy.

In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.
 
The second book in the Infernal Devices series.  Also very much looking forward to this one!  Well, I guess if the first one sucks I won't be looking forward to this one, huh?  We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  Hehe.  And they better not suck because I already have the third book pre-ordered!  That one also comes out in March.
 
And that is my glorious Amazon haul.  Usually I only order a book or two at a time.  It was quite fun to get a big ol' boxful like this!  Are you a book nerd like me?  What are some of your favorites?  Oh!  I've also joined Goodreads, so if you are a member there, feel free to look me up/add me.  I'm not too sure what I'm doing there yet.  Had a lot of fun with the scanner app on my iPod though!  Got all my books scanned and onto my 'shelves.'  Woot!

Anyway, yeah, books and tarts and a cup of hot chocolate . . .

9 comments:

  1. "books and tarts and a cup of hot chocolate" - poyfect!

    I'm on Goodreads, so I'll look you up. I never do anything there, though. Lol. But I'll be interested in your updates, which I'll get by email.

    The covers of the Infernal Devices ones intrigue me :D

    Hope the third Moral Instruments book is good, if you manage to read it instead of Entice. Lol. Maybe you should leave that book on one of the boys' pillows to get them to read. Ha.

    Hope Kurth gets back into his reading groove. :) Hope the books don't end up too kid-ish. ?

    That's very cool about the Lost soundtracks. I always liked the music on there. Bah, I'd forgotten about Vincent following the raft! (not that I remember the music in that part) It's a bummer that the Lost finale was sucktastic for you true believers. I liked it, but you know me--I forgot everything that happened as soon as I watched an episode, so I didn't exactly have as much at stake as you. Lol. I'm still bummed that Twin Peaks was cancelled and never "finished," and it's been 20 years!

    Enjoy the bookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't immediately hate the Lost finale. I was too busy sobbing, and on that same night I kinda liked it even though it was nothing like what I'd hoped for. It was only later, after letting it sink in, that I felt cheated. Even so, I kinda understand their point that not everything has an answer, and once you die, does it all matter anyway? But it just kinda killed any desire for me to re-watch the show because now I know none of it matters.

      I've been having an urge lately to FINALLY watch it again though.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I have resisted the urge to read Entice and am plowing ahead with book three of the Mortal Instruments. It's pretty good so far but I'm starting to notice some annoying things. Let me rephrase that ... the small, annoying things that have always been there are really starting to bother me in this one. Things like always being interrupted just when an important bit of information is about to be revealed.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    3. Cool that you want to watch it again (finale).

      Re: interrupted just before important bit of information--that sounds very annoying and very soap-opera.

      Delete
    4. I want to watch the whole Lost series, not just the finale.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I love Amazon too! Wow, you got a lot of books! I actually bought a Kindle but I never use it. I kind of like real books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love good old fashioned physical books. Sometimes I think it would be fun to have a Kindle (or similar) because they just look so fun and handy but really, I just don't need it. I got the free Kindle program for PCs from Amazon and tried reading a book here on my computer once and it bothered my eyes and gave me a headache. I don't like watching movies or TV shows on here either.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete