Saturday, January 5, 2013

Haul - Front Porch Candle Co.

It's heeeeere!  My uber order from Front Porch, thanks to gift certificates I received for my birthday and Christmas.  This is actually three orders, placed over three day, and I did pay for part of this beyond the gift certificates.  I'm certainly not going to post individual pics of each one, but I will go through a quite list of what I got.

(I'm not even going to bother looking for scent descriptions because that is one area of the website that needs huge improvement.)

Singles
  • Blackberry Marshmallow - I don't even know what a blackberry smells like but this is a deep, dark berry smell, almost hints of grape.  Only slight sweet marshmallow note at this point.
  • Mrs. Claus Cookies - Pepperminty with a slight cookie note.  Love it.  Got two of these.
  • Buttercream Drizzled Bread - I think I heard somewhere that all of Front Porch's 'bread' scents are zucchini bread and I'm not a fan of that scent.  My first sniff of this was like -wham!- zucchini bread.  The sweetness of the buttercream is faint, and comes to you much later.  Maybe it will be better when warmed, but I'm not a fan right now.
  • Fresh Baked Bread - Having just said that about the zucchini bread, I ordered this hoping it would be a regular bread scent.  On cold sniff, I'm not sure.  I don't get that immediate zucchini-moist-bread note, so maybe it is just plain old bread.  We'll see when it's warmed.
  • Ultimate Bakery - I know this is supposed to be a mix of a bunch of things like apple and pastry, and I forget what else.  On cold sniff I"m kinda like 'Ugh.'  I think I get a bit of apple and spice, but it just seems like a weird blah mix right now.
  • Raspberry Filled Bread - I'm getting about an equal mix of raspberry and bread right now.  I'm unsure about this one too.  Maybe breads just aren't my thing.
  • Oatmeal, Milk & Honey - Yay!  Please, please, please let it be like the version I love from soap . . .  and it is pretty darn close.  At first I wanted to say it was dead on but then a sort of perfumey note comes chasing at the end.  Still very nice though.  Hope that perfume goes away when warmed.
  • Lemon Bliss - OMG, love this!  Zippy tart lemon right off the bat, but with a creaminess following close behind.  Sort of a Pledge/cleaner type lemon but I'm not too picky about that the way some people are.
  • Lemon Bread - Bleah.  I should have passed on the breads.  There is a candy-like lemon note but the immediate bread note kinda kills it for me.
  • Lemon Cookies - I'm on a lemon kick here, did ya notice?  This one is yummy but I like Lemon Bliss way more.  The lemon is softer in this, sweetened by the cookie  notes.
  • Citrus Explosion - Thought this would be a good pick-me-up for later in winter when we have cabin fever.  Wow this one is zesty.  It almost chokes, sort of tickles the back of your throat.  I think there is a bit of orange in here but it seems lighter, with more zing, like maybe grapefruit or something.  It's an eye opener for sure.
  • Coffee & Cookies - Love me some coffee scents, and ohhh this one is good.  It's a black coffee, with just a trace of that black coffee bitterness, but sweetened overall by the cookie notes.  Nice!!
  • Lemon Orange Pastry - Yummy!  Equal mix of lemon and orange make a bright, perky scent while the pastry lends just enough bakery to warm it slightly.  One sniff, I think there is more lemon.  Another sniff, I think there is more orange.  This one is fun.
  • Blackberry Butter Jam Cookies - Everyone is raving about this scent so I had to try it.  I'm not getting much at the moment, a faint berry scent and very faint sweetness.  Will have to wait till I warm this to see how it is.
  • Cafe Mocha - I can never what all the coffee variations are.  Mocha has chocolate in it?  This one is not nearly as good as Coffee & Cookies.  This one has a bitterness, and if there is chocolate, well that's probably what's killing it for me.  There is something distracting from the coffee, and I'm not a fan of chocolate scents.
  • Strawberry Marshmallow Bread - Quick whiff of strawberry on first sniff, then the bread note takes over.  It's sort of a bright scent in a weird way.  I might like this one.  Or maybe I'll gather up the bread ones and do a Bread Sampler Giveaway.  Hmmm.....
  • Pineapple Upside Down Cake - I've heard people talk about this scent from various vendors and I thought I'd give it a try.  Wow, interesting.  Definitely pineapple, which I like.  And then some sweetness and warmth but not a distinct 'cake' scent.
  • Vanilla Noel - I'm assuming this is the traditional dupe of Vanilla Bean Noel from Bath & Body Works, which is yummy vanilla, caramel, rum, and musk . . . or something like that.  Love it.
  • Warm Vanilla & Sweet Sugar - I *think* this is another B&BW dupe, this time for Warm Vanilla Sugar, which I also love.  This has more musk or something, much more of a perfumey scent.
  • Lemonberry Crumble - Yummy!  Bright lemon and something else fruity, and some creaminess, maybe cookie notes.  There is no spice like I would imagine in a 'crumble' topping.
Marshmallow Sampler Pack (8 singles)
  • Sugary Marshmallow - Mix of marshmallow and Warm Vanilla & Sweet Sugar.  The scent is light right now but I get the marshmallow note first, which is quite alright with me.  There is a faint perfume-i-ness surrounding it.
  • Raspberry Marshmallow - Strong on the raspberry, with the marshmallow coming in as an afterthought.
  • Chocolate Marshmallow - The scents that go into sampler packs are preselected.  I wouldn't have chosen a chocolate scent on my own.  And yeah, not liking this one.  Very strong, slightly bitter chocolate scent . . . which now tells me the Cafe Mocha is pretty much just this chocolate scent.  I don't get any marshmallow sweetness in cold sniff.  Bleah.
  • Blackberry Marshmallow Butter Jam Cookies - I get the blackberry note first.  There is something creamy, probably cookie-like in the background, and maybe a slight hint of marshmallow.
  • Lemon Marshmallow - I already have several of these.  Obviously I love this scent.  A sweet, creamy lemon.  Yummy yummers!
  • Blueberry Marshmallow - Light at the moment.  I do get some blueberry scent, which is very nice, and a soft sweetness mixed with it.
  • Purple Marshmallow - I think the 'purple' is from Purple Cow, which I believe is grape and ice cream or something like that.  This is grape right off the bat, with very light sweetness in the background.
  • Cranberry Marshmallow - This one was interesting as soon as I saw it.  The cranberry reminds me of fall, slightly spiced, but the marshmallow sweetens and softens it.  I like this.  Might hang onto it for next fall.
4-packs
  • Cranberries Sprinkled With Sugar - Speaking of cranberries . . . lol . . . I got TWO free packs of this scent.  This one is NICE.  I did look up the description and it says it is spiced cranberries blended with 'Just Sugar,' but of course I can't find 'Just Sugar' listed anywhere so I don't know what that is.  Sniffing this cold, it is a gorgeous spiced cranberry scent but not too harsh or strong on the spice.  There IS something else but I can't figure out what I'm smelling.  It's a gorgeous scent though.  While it does make me think of fall, I'd be willing to melt this anytime.
  • Nana's Banana Pudding - Yummy!  If you like banana, that is.  An inyerface smack of banana, and then something soft and sweet, slightly warm underneath.  I like it, but I know a lot of people do not like banana scents.  This was another free pack.
  • Bird of Paradise - This is supposed to be tropical if I remember correctly.  I get strawberry and some creaminess, and some pineapple maybe?  Coconut?  A sweet, happy scent.
I ordered the Bird of Paradise 4-pack, but the other three were freebies.  The way Front Porch does their free packs has changed as of Jan. 1 but my order(s) were placed before that, and regardless, how I ended up with three free packs doesn't fit the old criteria OR the new so I'm confused.  But HAPPY!  Also, I wasn't sure I'd even get free packs using gift certificates and combined orders, so I had told her to just surprise me with whatever scent if I qualified.  When I saw two packs of the same cranberry scent I was a bit 'Well, poo,' but man, after smelling them, I'm thrilled to have so many of that scent!

Prices have also changed as of Jan. 1, so to tell you what I paid wouldn't matter anymore.  A majority of this haul was made possible by the gift certificates I'd gotten.  Prices might seem a bit high at first but keep in mind that Front Porch has free shipping.  It doesn't matter if you order one little tart or a huge boxful, shipping will always be free.  So the slightly higher price works in the end.

It's getting easier to actually order from Front Porch now.  Stock added each weekday afternoon.  Shipping times have gotten faster too.  She only waits to combine two or three orders now, and from I've heard usually ships within the week now.  She used to wait 7-10 days or something, combining whatever orders you placed in that time, and then it was another week or something to get your order.  I'm glad things are faster now.  I ordered on Dec. 25, 26, and 27, and received my combined package on Jan. 4 (with a holiday in the middle).

I've admitted before that I've changed my tune about this vendor.  I used to be so frustrated and confused and said I'd never give them another moment of my time.  Ha, ok.  Well, I do admit things are getting better there, and I hear there will be even more improvements coming.  But I do still have some sore points.  One that I already mentioned is that I wish someone would update and tend the scent list on the site.  I'm tempted to volunteer myself!  It also irks me that it seems like only the same handful of popular scents are ever added even though stock is added five days a week now AND she asks for requests on the Facebook page.  I've requested the same few things over and over and over.  I've even asked about them in private emails while she worked on a problem with my gift certificates, but still, I've never seen any of them added.  Hopefully one of the changes they're hinting at will be a wider variety of stock.  I mean, why have a list of so many scents if you're not offering them?

Enough of my whining.

So that is my big fat post-holiday haul from Front Porch.  This should last me a while, especially since I want to try getting back to melting them until the scent is gone, instead of one tea light melt and move on to the next.  Actually, I don't even know if these tarts are strong enough to go through a second melting.  (I use tea light warmers.)  We shall see!

I will be keeping an eye one the daily additions but I doubt I will be ordering for a while, unless I see some of the brown sugar scents (or maple, or butterscotch) that I've been requesting.  Or maybe more Lemon Bliss if I see that one.

No, Deb.  No.  You will not order more.

Anyway, I will try to do more detailed descriptions as I melt each one.  If there is anything you'd like me to melt first, let me know!  I'd also love to hear what you think, if you've already tried any of these.

21 comments:

  1. Wow awesome haul, Cranberry Marshmallow looks so yummy, I wanted to order the Marshmallow sampler just because of it but I didn't, I'm proud haha ! I love your descriptions, you're so enthusiastic :) I'm slowing down on orders too, from Front Porch at least, it's getting pretty expensive !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a big one order from Sweet Fixations coming and that is supposed to be IT, done, finished for a long time. I try not to look at the Front Porch email each day when new stock is added, figure I'm not ordering so I don't need to look. I always end up looking anyway but there is never anything in the type of scent I want added. It's always just the same old things/types. Well, I guess that will make it easier to not order. LOL

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowowowowow...what a haul! I placed my first Front Porch order yesterday and can't wait!

    They didn't have many lemony scents (in singles) when I ordered...so I'm excited to see what you think of them!!!! Lemon Bliss and lemon Cookie look awesome!

    -Kari Ann-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! And I can't wait to see what you got. :)

      I'm trying to melt everything else besides my Front Porch stuff, and the few Sweet Fixations I have have on hand. I'm kinda doing a clean sweep of everything, and will try focusing on just one or two vendors.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. I like that idea! And you are right that they need to update their scent list! i got Celtic moonspice....no idea what that will smell like!!!

      -Kari Ann-

      Delete
    3. Update it, maintain it, and make it more user friendly.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. The scent list drives me BONKERS! I also wish they would update it. Very frustrating when you're trying to order something.

    Ohhhh...I wish I had ordered Cranberries Sprinkled with Sugar. That sounds so good!

    Fresh Baked Bread should not be zucchini bread so I think you're safe. FP's Amish Friendship Bread smells like Zucchini Bread though and I think the Amish mix is what they uses for all their bread blends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had seen her comment in the Facebook group that their Amish Friendship Bread and Zucchini Bread were the same. I thought 'Why do it then?'

      ~Deb

      Delete
  5. Oh...and I love Nana's Banana Pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Lots of stuff! Hope they're awesome. Hope the bread ones end up better than you think. Yeah, mocha's got cocoa or chocolate. Blueberry Marshmallow sounds yummay. (Me & the blueberries--yesterday I was standing there sniffing the box of frozen blueberry scones at work. Lol) All the lemon ones sound lurvely. As does Coffee & Cookies and Cranberries Sprinkled with Sugar. Glad Oatmeal, Milk & Honey is close to your fave. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny about the blueberries because whenever I see a blueberry scent in any vendor's scent list I tend to think 'Ooh, I should get that for Sheri,' but I think it might end up being like Mom's Cardinals thing. LOL!

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Ha, no, I'd be all for it!

      Delete
    3. There is Blueberry Ocean Spray juice now. Do you drink that? (Or just sniff it?)

      ~Deb

      Delete
    4. I don't drink it or sniff it, but maybe I should (sniff it).

      I had a blueberry muffin yesterday at the hotel. Yay!

      Delete
    5. (After you sniffed it.)

      I wish we'd start making the blueberry Ocean Spray at work. I mean, we DO make Ocean Spray.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  7. Melted the Front Porch banana pudding ones yesterday and today! Thanks--I really liked 'em. Although I think I need to space out banana scents because I liked it a lot yesterday, but today I was wishing I'd melted something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. Was it strong enough?

      I'm getting close to start ordering a bit again and I might revisit Front Porch. I've been seeing some yummy sounding scents in their inventory lately.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Yep. Kewl.

      I think I'm gonna melt the zucchini bread one now. We'll see if I'm filled with a burning hatred and disgust.

      Delete