Friday, January 11, 2013

Haul - Sweet Fixations / Tarts

YAY!  The last of my large, year ending orders is finally here and this time it is from Sweet Fixations.  Towards the end of last year, as I was considering picking just one or two wax vendors and sticking with them, Sweet Fixations was always on my list of possibles.  I've ordered from Tia twice before and as far as I can remember, have enjoyed all of the tarts I've received.

One of the biggest things I like about this vendor is that fact that you can buy single tarts.  I don't need to worry about large bags of a scent I don't like, or sampler packs with some of the scents being things I don't like, or bundle packs where I'm forced to pick five scents when there were only three I wanted to try.  At the Sweet Fixations website you will find 1+ oz. scallop tarts sell for $1.75, and 2 oz. scent shots are $1.50.  Yeah, it would totally make more sense to buy the larger scent shots then, wouldn't it?  I might switch to that in the future but given a choice, I don't like the tarts in cups because I don't like having to cut tarts.  (True, I could use the whole scent shot at once, but when I normally melt around 1 oz. at a time, I'd be getting more bang for my buck by chopping the 2 oz. ones in half.)  You can also find other shapes and options, like hearts, brittle, cake bites, and more.  Eventually I want to try all of these other things too.  There ARE sampler packs, if that's what you're into.  There is also a 'scent creator' section where you can request custom blends.

Shipping is quite reasonable.  Up to $21 is a flat rate of $5.00, $21.01-$49.99 is a flat rate of $6.00, and any order of $50 or more gets you free shipping.  Plus, if you order $40 or more, you will get a free 4-pack and I think you even get to choose the scent(s).  I'm pretty sure she also includes a freebie in smaller orders as well.

Shipping times can vary.  The site currently says 7-10 days, but I've seen it lower than that.  I suppose it depends how busy she is at the moment.  Also, there is a 'ready to ship' section that ships within a day or two, if I'm remembering correctly.  My order was a mix of 'ready to ship' and regular, so it took a while longer.  I ordered on Monday evening (Dec. 31) and received my order the following Friday (Jan. 11).  Everything always comes nicely packaged, and one time there was even candy added to the box.  (*Sweet* Fixations, ya know.)  Tia takes the time to include a handwritten note on both the business card and the invoice.  It may not seem like something important, but it's the personal little touches that make ordering from private vendors fun.

Enough nattering.  You're dying to know what I got, aren't you?!

I ordered 35 tarts (all different scents) and received four freebies.  I'll just do a list of them with a few first impression thoughts, and scent descriptions if available.  Individual pictures and more detailed reviews will come in my Melted series as I melt these.  Most of these are new to me.  Some I've had from other vendors.  A few I've had in my previous orders.

Here we go . . .
  • Raspberry Macaroon - 'Toasted coconut, caramelized sugar, and raspberry.'  Ooh, yummy.  You get the raspberry for sure but there is an almost creamy sweetness from the coconut.
  • Dole Whip - '(SF Blend)- Fresh pineapple and vanilla ice cream.'  A bright, creamy pineapple.
  • Sinus Relief - 'Smells like Vick's vapor rub. Cool, crisp mint fragrance. This seriously works!!'  Wow, yeah, that's a strong Vicks smell.  And it's weirdly comforting.  I've been wanting to try one of these sinus relief tarts for a while now.  I never thought there was anything to them, but people swear they work.
  • Rice Krispie Treats - '(SF Blend)- Vanilla, marshmallow, and butter.'  Kind of waxy smelling right now, strong on the butter.
  • Sweet Cherry Bread - '(SF Blend)- Buttered bread topped with juicy cherries.'  Interesting.  Strong on the bread note (and not yucky zucchini bread!) with subtle hints of the cherry.
  • Hot Buttered Rum - 'A rich and strong warm drink with rum, french vanilla, and butterscotch.'  Yummers, although it smells more candy-like than warm-drink-like.  It smells like butterscotch Lifesavers.
  • Flip Flops - 'Tropical vanilla scent with creamy coconut.'  Creamy coconut, not overly sweet like some can be.
  • Lemon Drizzle Bread - '(SF Blend)- Fresh baked buttery bread drizzled with lemon.'  Oh, love this one.  Nice sweet lemon first, with slight bready undertones.
  • Chocolate Chip Cookies - 'The wonderful smell of freshly baked cookies with semi-sweet chocolate and vanilla.'  I've had this one before.  I usually don't like chocolate scents but this is one exception, probably because of the sweetness from the cookie notes.
  • Glazed Donuts - 'Butter, Fried dough, and sweet glaze.'  Light scent right now but yeah, it does smell like opening a box or bag of glazed donuts.  There is that sweet doughy-ness, and something sugary.
  • Serendipity - 'Sweet vanilla, powdered sugars, sweet cherry, orange citrus and yummy coconut. Very sweet and so so good!'  Have had this from other vendors but thought I'd try it from here too.  Some people find it just too darn sweet.  I get the cherry and coconut, with a trace of orange zing, and lots of sugar.  This one doesn't seem AS chokingly sweet as others.
  • Blueberry French Toast - '(SF Blend)- Delicious blueberries and french toast.'  Light right now, but I do get the blueberry note, and some bakery sweetness that I wouldn't know is 'French toast' if I didn't already know what this was.  I might be picking up a faint hint of cinnamon too.
  • Honey I Washed The Kids - 'Top notes of honey drizzled over toffee with a soft white musk background. Lush Type.'  Kind of perfume-y because of the musk, but very nice.  Soft and sweet, and almost floral.
  • Lemon Fluff - '(SF Blend) - Sweet and sour lemons blended with marshmallow.'  Lemon like the Lemonheads candy, with just a touch of creaminess.
  • Yellow Polka Dot Bikini - '(SF Blend)- Great summer blend of creamy coconut and lemon.'  I've had this before too.  Really interesting because you're never quite sure if it's the lemon or the coconut that is stronger.
  • Rockin Vanilla - 'Vanilla and hazelnut.'  Had this one too, and love it because it reminds me of the very first tart I ever melted.  A deep, rich, vanilla with soft hazelnut notes.
  • Pineapple Upside Down Cake - 'Sweet pineapples, baked cake, butter, brown sugar and cherries.'  Ohhh myyy, this is fabulous.  Pineapple first but the cherry is quite strong, and a definite cake note.
  • Strawberry French Toast'(SF Blend)- Sweet strawberry jam and french toast.'  This one is more recognizable as what you might think of French toast (without syrup).  The strawberry kinda wraps around it, like you're not sure if that's what you're smelling or not.
  • Banana French Toast - '(SF Blend)- French toast stuffed with bananas and topped with cinnamon streusel.'  Oh yummy!  The banana is soft and sweet along with the 'toast' notes.  Only the very lightest hint of cinnamon.
  • Berry Creme Noel - '(SF Blend)- Sugary berries topped with vanilla caramel glaze and a dash of vanilla bean noel.'  The Vanilla Bean Noel is quite strong, with very sweet berry notes mixed in.
  • Lemon Noel - '(SB Blend)- Refreshing lemons and vanilla bean noel.'  Strong Lemonheads type lemon, and slight notes of creamy vanilla but not recognizable as Vanilla Bean Noel at this point.
  • Almond Rum Cake - 'Yummy cake with chopped almonds, vanilla extract, dark rum, and vanilla.'  Nice!  Strong almond but the cake note is there and I do get the rum.  Yummy.
  • 7Up Pound Cake - 'Lemon-lime, warm cake, vanilla, and sugar.'  I remember when this scent was all the rage, and it was one of the first I'd ever gotten from Kim's Tarts.  Thought I'd get it again just for old times sake.  And I still love it . . . strong cake note first, then the bright lemon-lime notes with some creaminess.
  • Graham Crackers - 'Crispy graham crackers with honey, wheat, sugar, and cinnamon.'  Had this before and couldn't believe how much I fell in love with this scent.  You wouldn't think boring ol' graham crackers could be so lovely!  I don't know how to describe it.  Just warm and comforting.  Not too sweet from the honey.  Not too spicy from the cinnamon.  Not too sugary.  Just GOOD.
  • Vanilla Frosted Grahams - 'Vanilla gram crackers topped with raisins and cinnamon.'  Because I loved the Graham Crackers scent so much I wondered what it would be like in this version.  Funny too, because while waiting for the order to come I had finally melted some sample cubes of The Bathing Garden's version of this and loved it.  Sniffing this one, yep, the delicious graham scent but a bit sweeter this time around.
  • Purple Cow - 'Just like the Popsicles from our childhood. Grape and Vanilla ice cream.'  Quite creamy, not overwhelmingly grape.  It's like candy grape, not full juicy fruity grape.
  • Butterscotch Ice Cream - 'Butterscotch, vanilla ice cream, topped with nutty pecans.'  Yes!  Love butterscotch scents!  This is very rich vanilla-butterscotch,  I don't really get the nuts at this point but I'm just so happy with the butterscotch that I don't care.
  • Honeyed Almond - The description for this one on the site is nowhere near close to honeyed almonds so I'm assuming that is an error.  Wow, I'm surprised that I *don't* like this one.  It's not at all what I was expecting, which would have been something closer to an Oatmeal, Milk & Honey type scent.  This is just weird.  Maybe that incorrect description IS correct?!  I don't even know how to describe this.  It's almost like a bad perfume with a hint of fruit zest at the center.  Weird.
  • Butter Brickle Crunch - 'Vermont maple, toffee bits, and creamy butter.'  I might have had this one before.  It's very yummy, almost butterscotch-y.  It reminds me of the Better Homes & Gardens one I love so much, Butterscotch Maple Cream.
  • Brown Sugar Cake - '(SF Blend)- Sweet brown sugar drizzled over yellow pound cake.'  Kind of light right now but still delish.  A darkly sweet cake scent, if that makes sense.  Got this because another popular vendor refuses to stock brown sugar scents even though they've been requested for weeks and are in her scent list.  We won't name names though . . . 
  • Vanilla Crunch Cupcake - '(SF Blend)- Buttery toffee topped with crunch cuts and baked into freshly made cake.'  Lovely vanilla cupcake scent.
  • Summer Days - '(SF Blend)- Creamy coconut and fresh apple.'  Apple first and foremost, very slight coconut softening it.
  • Blue Hawaii - 'Tropical fruity drink with juicy orange, pineapple, lemon,cherries, rum and coconut.'  Pretty sure I had this one before too.  Mmmm, strongest on the coconut, rum, and pineapple. A little bit of fruity brightness from the other notes.
  • Beach Retreat - '(SF Blend)- Juicy fresh pineapple blended with creamy coconut.'  Creamy pineapple, with hints of coconut.  Sound similar to several others in this list, yet this one is not a fave.  Not bad, but didn't give me the 'Ooh, like!' reaction.
  • Pancakes & Syrup - '(SF Blend)- Buttermilk pancakes topped with warm maple syrup and berries.'  Not a strong maple note, and the berry note is very light.  I do get pancakes out of it though.
  • Cranberry Cobbler - 'Sweet and sour red cranberries baked in sugar and lightly browned pie crust.'  I got two of these as part of my freebies.  Mainly a tart cranberry scent yet sugary sweet.  I don't really get much of the crust note at this point.
  • Grapefruit - 'Sweet, juicy, and freshing grapefuit with a tangy zest.'  Also got two of these as the other part of my freebies.  I didn't choose the free scent, just told her to surprise me.  This is very bright, energizing, but not that pucker-face tartness that can be grapefruit.  This is more of a sugar sweetened grapefruit.  It's quite nice.
Wow, it's taken me forever to write this post.  I guess that's one reason I should only place small orders . . . so the haul posts are quick and easy to do!  LOL  But anyway, that is my mega haul from Sweet Fixations.  I got a variety of scents because this is supposed to tide me over for quite some time.  I want to get back to melting my tarts as long as there is scent, instead of just racing through them so I can move onto the next.  That will also allow me to (hopefully) keep up on my Melted series.

I'm sure most of you are already familiar with Sweet Fixations.  Did you see anything in this list that you think you'd order?  What are some of your favorite Sweet Fixations scents?  Have you tried her other wax options, like the cake bites or brittle?  Let me know what you thought!

14 comments:

  1. You got some really really good ones! The Butter Brickle and Butterscotch ones sound especially yummy. I've tried their Serendipity and I really liked it if I remember correctly. I wonder what happened to Honeyed Almond...I love FP's version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost want to ask about the Honeyed Almond on the Facebook page. It is just really WEIRD. I was so happy with the Front Porch one because it reminded me of Oatmeal, Milk & Honey. But THIS one is not even remotely close to anything even similar. Weird, weird, weird.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy tarts! That package must have smelled amazing.

    Ooh, blueberry french toast ..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because whenever I get a rather large order of tarts from *any* vendor there is just a sort of generic 'Oooh that smells good!' yumminess. Ya know, like the package as a whole smells the same wherever you order from. But then there is also usually ONE tart that makes itself known and it's kinda fun to sort and sniff until you find which one it is. Just dorky tart addict fun.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I haven't melted the blueberry one or the glazed donuts. Actually I've only melted the sinus one so far. I've been plowing my way through the Front Porch gift certificate haul first.

      Originally I'd thought about mixing the two large orders (this one, and the Front Porch one) into one large box and just reaching in to pull out a random tart whenever I needed something new to melt. I don't know why I haven't done that. Nope, FP and SF are still in their separate boxes.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  5. Ooh, now that would be fun (mixed box, random pick).

    Is the sinus one working (helping your sinuses)?

    Almond Rum Cake and Brown Sugar Cake grabbed my eye when I ran through this list again. Sound yummy. And Summer Days I find intriguing--I wouldn't have thought to combine apple and coconut and I can't even picture it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never believed 'sinus relief' tarts really did anything because it's just a fragrance oil. One I'd tried months ago was too weak to smell anything so I just disregarded the whole idea. But when I placed this large order, knowing SF tarts are strong enough, I decided to try again.

      Did it work? I'm not sure. We melted half of one the other night and I did seem to sleep much better that night but I'm not convinced yet it was that tart. Melted the other half the next night and had a fairly decent night, but the third night had no 'Vicks tart' and was also fairly decent.

      Sooooo ... I'm still not convinced. But it was weirdly comforting to fall asleep to that scent.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. You pointing out the ones you find yummy is making me want to dive into the Sweet Fixations tarts. It's making me want to order more too. LOL!

      ~Deb

      Delete
    3. Ha! You're weak and shapeable right now ...


      It's cool that the "Vicks" one was at least nice to sleep with.

      Delete
  6. Oh, and I'd almost forgotten about your love of butterscotch. Pudding!

    Remember the red (white on the inside) pudding cups from home? When Mom would make it and put it in the fridge in the cups to set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took me a moment but YEAH, now I DO remember those! I wonder if Peg kept them?! There are still a surprising number of the old things left in that house. Gary pointed out the silverware we were using at Christmas was the same stuff we used as kids.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Is it really the same silverware?! Wow. Yeah, I wonder if she's got 'em!

      Delete