Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Hello, 2013!

We all seem to say it every year but yeah . . . I can't believe how fast last year flew by!  For me, a lot of it has to do with my work schedule.  Twelve hour shifts, two days on, two days off kinda makes it feel like those two days I work don't exist.  All I do is get up, go to work, come home and eat, check a few online things, and go to bed.  So for me, my actively involved year is really only six months long.  Now wonder I feel my life is just passing me by!

Whine, whine, I know.

What were the personal highlights of 2012 for me?  Well, it was very much Casey's year what with dislocating his shoulder twice and undergoing surgery to fix it, plus the endless months of therapy.  It was also his year because he graduated high school.  My babies are grown up now.  *pouty face*  Anything else exciting?  We made our annual trip to a Vikings game, this being the fourth year we've done it.  There were those two heartbreaking deaths in our work-family right at the end of the year.  I got to read the rough draft of my sister's first finished novel.  I got a new (used) car.  And the Vikings have made it into the playoffs!

So what's ahead for 2013? 

The first thing hubby and I are going to focus on this year is cutting spending and reducing some debt.  In the last few days of 2012 I went ahead and placed some final orders for some things, and now that it's 2013 it's time to stop impulse buying.  I got two gift certificates for Front Porch Candle Co. and I went ahead and used those plus a bit of my own money to place a fairly large order after Christmas.  I also went ahead and placed a large order from Sweet Fixations for a ton more tarts.  From both places, I got a lot of random scents that will be good for anytime of year.  I had fun trying different vendors in 2012 but it also became a bit of a hassle.  You never know if you're going to like a new vendor and it's frustrating to find the tarts to be duds.  It's also kind of overwhelming just trying to keep up with all the different shops you hear about.  For a while now I've felt like I want to just find one or two vendors I can rely on and just stick with them, really get to know all of their scents and products.  I had four shops on my list of possibles but two of them sort of eliminated themselves because they don't sell single tarts, only mult-packs.  So at the moment Front Porch and Sweet Fixations look like my go-to shops.  Depending on how this Sweet Fixations order is, they might bump Front Porch out of the top spot just because of their convenience.  Regardless, I also want to get back to melting my tarts until the scent is gone, instead of the melt-and-toss rush I've been doing for most of the past year because I always had so many to try and so many more shops to buy from.  I will still buy the occasional Walmart tart if I see something new or interesting but in general I'm hoping to slow down on tarts overall.  This is one area you'll see a difference here at my blog . . . less hauls, but I'll hopefully be able to stick with the Melted series now at this slower pace.

Another end of the year order I placed was a pretty big one from Amazon.  I love books, have all my life.  I've gone through phases though where I'm not really into them for a while, and then phases where I can't get enough.  I'm in a 'can't get enough' phase right now.  Hubby is also trying to get back into a reading habit and got four books for Christmas.  Even Casey asked for books this Christmas!  (He got one, but I doubt he'll ever actually read it.)  I had several books on my Christmas list, and got two of them.  Because I needed to order a missing book for the series I'm reading at the moment, and because we knew we were going to cut spending as of Jan. 1, I went ahead and got several others I knew I wanted, plus a series that hubby had wanted.  I am super psyched for this order to come in!  I've been watching book haul and book review videos on YouTube lately and I'm getting more and more sucked into the world of books that I've always loved anyway.
This picture is from Spring 2010, when we finally started my dream floor-to-ceiling bookshelves in our 'hall' upstairs.  (It's more of a small room than a hallway.)  We were going to continue this look on all available wall space but never did more than this.  These are just two fairly affordable bookcases we bought at Shopko (I think?) and stacked on top of each other.  I was sooooo in love with it at the time, but I think I might let hubby go ahead and build something more sturdy this year.  The shelves in these units are already sagging, and it's crammed completely full.  I have books on top of books and three ever growing stacks on the floor.

Anyway, that's another area you might see changing here at the blog.  There might be more book hauls and reviews.  If you're not booky, don't worry.  You won't be swamped with boring book posts.  I'm not a fast reader.  I'm not impressed with those who are either.  All of those 'I read a book a day!' braggers will just get an eye roll from me.  I would love to increase my reading speed to be able to consistently finish books in a week or less, but I like to take some time and really get into the story.  I have to 'be' there, see the characters, hear them, get to know them . . . not just whip through the words on the pages.  This is why I don't go to the library.  I don't like having that due date looming over me.  And really, I can't build my glorious library if I'm only checking out library books.  (Goes against my cut spending rule, I know.)

As I get more into the book world, I will probably be watching more book videos on YouTube.  And as I buy less tarts, or at least buy from less vendors, I will probably be watching fewer wax related videos.  That part is already happening just because of the drama and all my gripes about that wax community.  I still want to find more active blogs to read though!  If you know of any, let me know please!  (Blogs that just link back to the owner's YouTube channel do not count.)

I might finally be getting back to more personal nattering posts here on the blog.  I'll still do reviews and hauls of various things but it will no longer be my primary goal.  I suspect I'll lose followers this way, but oh well.  Maybe I'll find others as I broaden my topics.  I'm also considering doing the giveaways again.  I saw so many fun little giveaways right around the holidays, and one YouTuber in particular has such a warm heart about why she does them . . . it's simply better to give than to receive . . . that I felt bad about my reasons for giving up my own last year.  I think I might try to do them again.  Most will be small, but there might be a couple big ones along the way.  I want to try and get one posted for January right away, so keep an eye open for that.

The highlight of our 2013 will probably be our trip to a Vikings game.  We're a little unsure about it this year though because so much will depend on if they start work on the stadium rebuild or not.  If they do, I've heard the Vikings will play at the college until the new stadium is ready.  We haven't done much research into where that is or if we'll have to find a new hotel, but we do know it would mean outdoors games, which would also mean we'd probably want to go pretty early in the season to avoid freezing our bits off.  We've considered even skipping a year or two while the stadium work is taken care of.  Then again, with the way this season has turned around, and making it into the playoffs, we're already kinda chomping on the bit to get back there!
And I'm totally crushing on Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder right now.  I've liked him from the start but wow, lately I'm just all about him.  I still like punter Chris Kluwe but he scares me a little bit.  LOL
More Ponder . . .
(We were so close to the action at this last game we went to.
It was awesome!)

I'm just rambling now.  We'll see how 2013 goes, how things work out here on the blog, how long I can keep my impulse buying in check.  We'll see if I really can bring back the more personal journal type posts, or if I have anti-social meltdowns again and decide to build walls of secrecy again.  We'll just see in general, I guess.  Hope you stick with me!

How about you?  Any plans or hopes for 2013?  Any New Year's resolutions?  I'd love to hear!


15 comments:

  1. WOW, how did Casey dislocate his shoulder TWICE?! Congrats to him for graduating high school! :)

    Agreed on having orders from new vendors be a hassle...you really never know what you're gonna get (...Forest Gump, anyone??). It's good to try stuff, but sticking with a few favs is probably the best way to go. Also, this deffffffffinitely reduces unwanted spending!

    That QB is a total hottie. ;)

    LOVE your book shelf! Don't hate me...but ever since Josh got me a Kindle a few years ago, I read SO MUCH more. Part of the reason why is because I have reeeeally bad arthritis, and holding larger books often hurts my hands. The Kindle is so lightweight and transportable...but I miss the "feel" and "smell" of "books," you know?? What good books have you read recently?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time he dislocated was in February, from a fall in gym class. The second time was in July, while trying to swat at a bat in the house. The doctor said that because it had happened twice so relatively close, and because he wasn't doing much that second time, that something must be wrong. When they did surgery they found the whole back side of his shoulder joint/socket was torn apart. Yikes.

    A lot of people ask me why I don't get a Kindle. Sometimes I think I'd really like one, but most of the time I just love the physical books. I see the point in cases like yours though. That sucks to have arthritis. How old are you??? (Rude to ask, I know. Sorry.) There are plenty of times when I'm laying in bed that holding a book is awkward and a Kindle would be so much easier. I don't know, maybe someday I'll get one.

    What types do you like to read? Like, what genre? I've been into Young Adult/angel books for a while now. At the moment I'm reading the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. But I like a pretty broad range. If it sounds interesting, I'll read it.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, that sound horrific! Poor Casey! Is he doing well with his therapy??

      I am only 26...yeah, I know, too young for arthritis, but I've had it since I was 15...yikes! I'm used to it, unfortunately...it's not just in my hands, it's all over. :(

      Physical books really are much more fun and fulfilling...something about the feel of turning a physical page instead of hitting a button. The new Kindle devices are sort of pointless, though, because the back-light is bad for your eyes! The whole purpose of e-readers was so they wouldn't damage your eyes, and now they are basically just tablets with reading capibilities. :P

      As far as genre, I like a broad range of books. I try to read what's "in" just so I don't feel left out when people talk about books, haha. I read "Fifty Shades" and "Twilight," but I wouldn't say I was a fan. I really liked "The Hunger Games." Series are always fun to get into, the Mortal Instruments sounds interesting!!

      Delete
    2. He finished therapy the first week of December. He still has some weak areas and is supposed to be continuing exercises at home but he's been 'cleared' for things like work, which he now needs to get busy with finding a job.

      I haven't read Fifty Shades, but did read Twilight. I *LOVED* the first book (Twilight) but didn't care much for the rest of the series. I've liked the movies though. Haven't seen the final one yet. I didn't think I'd like the Hunger Games series but *LOVED* the first one of that too. I was sucked in and spent the whole book with a horror, panic, ulcer causing tension in my stomach. Loved the movie too. Once again though, didn't care for the rest of the series.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I got all heart-squeezy fluttery when I read the inclusion of my draft in that list. :) Thanks. And thanks again for clambering through all those 8 billion pages. It means a lot.

    Good luck with the spending/debt reduction! Having said that, go to a bed & breakfast sometime this year. lol

    I'm looking forward to general life posts. I'm really enjoying staying actually caught up on your blog.

    Plans/hopes ... one word: BOOK.

    Good luck to Casey in looking for a job, by the way. I imagine it'll be an adjustment and I hope he's not too scared/nervous (or is he not at all? Not that I imagine he talks feelings with you excessively, lol). Anyway, thinking about him and hoping he finds something he likes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've ordered me to a bed & breakfast before. What's so fabby about that? There is one just outside Rosendale. Does that count?

      I'd wanted to try doing at least a teeny quick post EVERY day, even if it was just few words, and look how many days I've missed already. *sigh*

      I think it will be harder for Casey because he has NO work experience and this added delay hasn't helped things. There are no spots for him to slip into at Kurth/Ty's place either. :(

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. Because they're just neato. It's usually a historic building, and some places do cool things like bring fresh cookies up to your room every afternoon--you're out somewhere and you find them when you get back--I don't know, it's just fun and seems like it would be right up your alley. :)

    Bummer about no spots at Kurth/Ty's place. I hope all goes well in the search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are there any B&Bs close to you? Maybe if we ever get around to visiting you guys again we can stay there and kill two birds with one stone. (And avoid the tiny guest bed. Doh!)

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. It is tiny!

      There are quite a few around here if I'm remembering right from when we picked one to go to in 2011, but I'm not sure how close. We stayed at one in Dubuque, which is an hour from us.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I forgot--one just outside Rosendale: sure. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys will have to stay in the Rosendale one sometime, just so you can add it to your B&B list. hehe

      ~Deb

      Delete
  6. What's it called? I just searched and didn't find it.

    (Online. I didn't drive out.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Country Aire Bed & Breakfast

      I can't find much online about it but did find this:
      http://www.wisconsinvacations.com/lodging/profile.cfm?ID=1575

      ~Deb

      Delete