Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Read - City of Glass

City of Glass
by Cassandra Clare
2009
541 pages

To save her mother’s life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters—never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family’s past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he’s willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City—whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the third installment of bestselling series the Mortal Instruments.


*** MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS ***

This is the third book in the Mortal Instrument series and I find I've been liking each book more than the previous one.  This one begins pretty much where the last one ended, and the bulk of it takes place in the Shadowhunters homeland, Idris.  I really wonder if author Cassandra Clare has played World of Warcraft because so much of Idris, of the capital city Alicante, the surrounding countryside . . . all reminded me of the towns and lands in Warcraft.  It's all stone cottages and cobblestone streets, no electricity, horses in the stables, etc.

I don't even know how I want to write these book 'reviews' anymore.  I don't want to give too much away, but I don't want to be so vague that it means nothing.  And to really comment on how I felt about certain things, I have to give some details away.  What to do, what to do??

I once again really liked the whole Valentine-Jace storyline and interactions.  For as evil as Valentine is, I like him.  He might just be my favorite character in the whole dang series.

(I think a lot of that is because of who is playing him in the movie,
and the fact that I so easily 'see' him and his Henry Tudor personality as I'm reading.)

Because this third book was originally meant to be the FINAL book, most of the loose ends were tied up.  Truths about a lot of things were finally learned, mainly whether or not Jace and Clary really are brother-sister.  I think we all pretty much knew that they weren't but I couldn't come up with a reasonable explanation for who Jace really was, and that was a fun and frustrating pondering game like I haven't had since my days of reading Harry Potter or watching Lost.  While I had most of the pieces picked out, I just hadn't been able to fit them together properly.  So yes, I was a bit surprised to learn who was who, and how Jace had come to be raised how he was.  You could say it was a bit farfetched, but once it was finally all revealed it just seemed to work.  And even though it was all Valentine's twisted demented doing, it was still kind of sad.  I felt bad for him!  But I'm being vague . . . 

Not only did I find myself thinking of Warcraft a lot with this book, I also had some mild Lord of the Rings vibes.  Jace goes off alone to try and confront Valentine and put an end to things, to save everyone from a war that is looming.  Meanwhile, the Shadowhunters are trying to form alliances with the Downworlders and build a united army to stand against the demon army Valentine is threatening to unleash on them.  It reminded me of Frodo and Sam trying to get the ring to Mt. Doom while Gandalf and all the rest are trying to hold off the orcs and hang in there.

The main new character in this third book was Sebastian.  Oh what a bucket of trouble he turned out to be.  You know pretty quickly that something is not right with this guy.  I figured it out way before the book finally explains it, but even so there are some things about this guy that you just really hate.  You thought Valentine was the evil one?  And it's funny because once I figured out what was going on, all I could picture this character as was this guy . . . 
. . . the stupidly arrogant and evil Viserys (Khaleesi's brother) from Game of Thrones.  LOL!!!  He is perfect for this role if they continue to make these books into movies!

There are a lot of big dramatic events towards the end of the book.  While I would normally think the whole 'this person died but oh, no wait, this person was saved afterall' tactic is predictable and lame, it seemed to work this time.  And while it might sound cheesy that Jace was pushing himself to the very end with the thought of seeing Clary just one more time driving him, and Clary doing the same in her situation, again, it worked this time.  I liked that there was enough distraction for Jace to get one final act in.  I liked that Clary had to struggle and drag herself and managed one small last act, liked that she didn't come charging in all pretty and heroic to save the day, liked that her struggle was unseen instead of some huge thing in front of her foe.  I can just *see* these scenes as a movie.  Ohhhhh, I almost think I'm more looking forward to this as a movie than the first one!

Since this was originally supposed to be the end of the this series, I'm quite curious to see what will happen in the fourth book.  It will be nice to see how Jace and Clary are as a couple now that all the brother-sister ickiness has been cleared up.  Alec and Magnus finally went public with their relationship.  Simon has TWO girls vying for his attention.  Luke and Jocelyn are finally together.  And evil has been defeated.

Or has it?

6 comments:

  1. Okay, this is HILARIOUS, because when I read your email, the first thing I thought when I read "charming evil guy," now that we've been watching Game of Thrones, is that guy. And then I saw him as Sebastian throughout the rest of your recap. Then I came here and read this and was like, "No way!!!"

    LOL

    Ooh, nice to hear Alec and Magnus are public ... :D

    That's cool that Luke and Jocelyn get together.

    We have just the last ep of season 1 of Game of Thrones left--gonna watch it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's just so perfect for the role! It would be awesome to see him in the movie version but it would also suck for him to be type-cast as that. LOL!

    We must discuss Game of Thrones. Email? Or Facebook? The second season DVDs come out Feb. 19. I can't wait!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, it would be hilarious if he were cast for it :D

      Just looked him up to see what he looks like without his Game of Thrones hair and wound up reading this interview. It's pretty interesting, and my eyes about fell out when I read he played a rent boy in something. 8-) Gotta look that up.

      http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/73823010.html

      Woohoo second season! Yeah, email for discussing.

      Delete
    2. Bah! The rent boy role was in a play.

      Delete
    3. Wow, it's weird to see him out of character!

      ~Deb

      Delete
    4. Yeah!

      Still find him yummy :)

      Delete