Monday, January 7, 2013

Tagged - Top 5 Wax Tart Vendors

Some bloggers have been posting lists of their favorite vendors in response to some newer wax buyers questions about which shops to try.  Lauren, from Lolo Loves Scents, already has her list HERE, and Abby, from SoCalCandleGal, has her list HERE.  Abby then tagged me and a few others to do our own lists, so I'm going to give it go.

Coming up with my Top 5 is going to be hard.  You might not believe it, but I really do not buy nearly as much wax as a lot of others in this crazy wax-addict world.  I seem to do small orders from random vendors, with little return business.  With the start of this new year, I had wanted to pick just one or two vendors and stick with them, but I don't think that's going to work because I'm already itching to order from several other places.  (Oooh, this just gave me an idea for a new tag-post!)

The picture above is not an accurate representation of my list because, well obviously there should be five vendors in there but I only have four.  I don't have any tarts from one of the places I want to mention, and really I don't even know what my Top 5 are anyway.

So let's stop nattering and get down to business.  I'm not going to put these in any order . . .
  • Sweet Fixations - I've placed two orders and am currently waiting for a huge third order.  I *think* this might be me go-to shop from now on.  I love that I can get single scallop tarts, and can order as many or as few as I want, not having to deal with Pick 5 or Pick 10 type bundles.  There is a great scent selection, but it's not so long that it's overwhelming and redundant.  You can find all the popular scents, as well as many in-house custom blends.  Single tarts are $1.25, scent shots (tarts in cups) are $1.50, and there are several other shaped options like little cake bites, hearts, brittle, and others.  Shipping is $5.00 for orders $0-$21, $6.00 for orders $21.01-$49.99, and free for orders of $50.00 or more.  You get a free 4-pk of scallop tarts with orders of $40 or more.  There is a Ready To Ship section, which ships within two days.  And she does include free samples with every order.
  • Front Porch Candle Co. - Maybe this one shouldn't even be on my list because I'm so back and forth about this vendor.  I do love the tarts, absolutely.  I love the grubby style, and the cute packaging.  They've performed well for me in my large, open area rooms.  Ordering and shipping has gotten A LOT better . . . but there are still some problem spots.  While they do have free shipping all the time, their prices are getting quite high for the amount of product you get ($1.75 for single 1 oz. grubby tarts).  It might be time for them to reconsider the free shipping and bring prices down to something more comparably competitive.  It can also be frustrating when you see so many wonderful scents you want to try in their scent list yet it's only the same handful of popular type scents that are continually restocked.  Even so, I am currently hooked on this vendor, as my recent large haul shows.
  • Candles From The Keeping Room - If this vendor would offer single tarts for sale I think they would be my favorite.  But they don't.  They offer 4 oz. and 8 oz. bags, and some other options.  Oh well, the shaped tarts are adorable, strongly scented, and come packaged so cute and country in clear cello bags tied with homespun.  Shipping is fast and they include tons of free samples.  Win, win!!  There is an extensive scent list, all the popular scents and plenty of custom blends.  I just wish they offered single tarts!
  • Walmart tarts (Better Homes & Gardens / Scentsationals) - These might not even qualify to some people but I have always loved these tarts.  Most people who have not tried them, automatically poo poo them because they are from *Walmart* and because they are only $2.00.  Let me tell you though, these have consistently been the strongest and most reliable tarts I have used.  The scent selection is limited but fairly decent.  (Depending on your particular store, the choices may be severely limited.)  They've had some huge seasonal scent releases in fall and winter, and seem to come out with more subtle seasonal types in spring and summer, like lots of fruity things in summer.  They are clamshell style tarts, which means six cubes, and a total weight of about 2.5-3 oz. . . . for just $2.00.  Plus, since you are sniffing them right there in the store, you already know if you like them or not.  I've never done it (yet) but you can order the Better Homes & Gardens tarts through the Walmart website, and the Scentsationals through their own website.  Prices are higher online though.  (Oh my!  I just noticed on the Walmart website that there is a Paula Deen brand of tarts now.  I will have to look for those next time I'm shopping!)  So yeah, not a private vendor but dang good tarts just the same.
  • Scent Appeal Candles - I've placed two orders from here and it was the second one that convinced me.  She went out of her way to try making some scents blends that I'd asked about, and one was so good she added it to her regular line.  She patiently and promptly answered all of my questions, always in a friendly manner.  Her scallop tarts are sold in 3-pks for $1.75, but there is a 6-pk bundle option for $3.25 which lets you choose the six scents you want, so it's then like getting six singles.  She also has clamshells for $3.00, and scent shots for $1.50.  This is an Etsy shop, so it may appear her scent selection isn't as huge as other shops but you can always look back through the 'sales' to see what scents might just be gone for the moment, or you can contact her to see just what else she might have.  Shipping is fast, quality is great, and she does include samples.  I hope she makes the move to her own website one of these days.
These are not my absolute Top 5 though.  I debated putting Kim's Tarts on the list but in reality, it's been so long since I've ordered from there that, well, how could I say it's one of my favorites?  I do know I've enjoyed the tarts I've had from Kim's in the past.  She was always well known for her super affordable price of $1.50 for a 3-pk of scallop tarts.  I see she now has free shipping on orders over $30.  Hmmm!  And there are several other vendors that I've enjoyed but just haven't had enough experience with to know if they're a favorite or not.  But I guess these would be the ones that I favor at the moment.

And since I was tagged, I will pass this tag along to some other blogger friends (some of which were already tagged by Abby) . . .

11 comments:

  1. What about Country Home Scents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They went out of business last month.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Yeah, kind of a bummer but I hadn't been ordering from them much lately anyway. And remember in my mini reviews I said it seemed like I remembered CHS tarts being stronger back in the beginning? Apparently many other people noticed a difference since CHS came back from their semi-retirement last year. Ah well.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    3. Bummer :/ They were always so cute.

      Delete
  2. Great list, Deb! I'm DYING to melt my Sweet Fixations stuff...how long would you say they need to cure? Believe it or not, I've never tried Walmart wax! Smelled it, sure, looked at it, yes, but never tried it. I got some of it in a recent destash and I'm looking forward to melting it! :D

    I love that Kim's is cheap and has free shipping off anything over $30...I just didn't get the right scents my first go around. I might make another order when I dwindle my supply down. What were your favs from Kim's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't subscribe to the whole 'cure time' philosophy. Maybe there is something to it, maybe not, but I do know it's a relatively new 'rule' that was born from the natterings of our favorite source. *ahem* And now vendors mark the pour date on the labels? Anyway... (lol)

      I don't have any favorite's from Kim's yet because it's been so long since I've ordered, and because the ones I had were just to try random things. I don't think she has any exclusive blends, which is kind of a bummer, but for standard scents it's a great shop because of the prices.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I forgot about Kim's! I do like Kim's too and I would repurchase from her. Actually I'd repurchase from all the vendors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When is CFTKR reopening? I want to try the Indian breads that you love!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. Oh Deb I have stumbled across you again in my online searching. :) I have been doing okay. Been over a year since I blogged. I have just been exhausted. Anyways I read this whole post them saw you tagged me. I know it has been awhile but my top favorites (in no order) are..
    1. The Bathing Garden
    She operates off facebook now so you cannot "shop" the adorable tarts and ordering can be a bit complicated at first. The TAT is also about 2-3 weeks. She does restock every couple months that you can order as much as you like from, however you only have about 20 or so scents to choose from and one thatyou love might not be on the list for months. However Shannon has the best customer service I have dealt with ever and her tarts have never disappointed me. So creamy and highly scented. I love her lemon scents and cream scents. Her lemon cheesecake is amazing! I do not prefer her chocolate or cola scents although you can feel the bubbles tickle your nose when you sniff a cold cola scent. Impressive!
    2. Front Porch Candle co. Once again a bit hard to order what you want from and then the scent you want comes in a form you do not want. The prices can be a but I tend to buy the 4 packs and once you are over $25 you get 10% off which is nice. The glazed jelly donuts and lemon marshmallow have been my favorite. Great throw! There are just so many mixes "pink sugar this pink that blah blah pink" I get a bit overwhelmed and stop reading.
    3. Walmart! The scentsations ten to be my favorite but I have also found some goodies in the Better Homes and gardens. My favorite would be " Orange buttercreme cupcakes" which smells like fruit loops. I have heard so many complaints about this but I wanted a fruitloops scent and there it is $2 with the strongest scent throw ever. I am sold. I have bought a whole cardboard tube before! hahaha
    That is it for me! I only have 3 I really trust. I loved Country home scents but since they went out of business and all of my single tarts melted this last summer I am more partial to order clam shells which contain the melting better.
    A couple I have tried and found over rated were The Kissing Booth and Tiffany Candles. TKB scents all made me sick. Just not good for me. I ordered 5 tarts and will not purchase again. I threw away one tart and the free sample because they made me to nauseated. And TC I found expensive and the scents were too generic for me. I liked a couple but was disappointed overall.
    Anyways there we go. My top 3 lol. I haven't done much purchasing so there are for sure others out there I would like, but I enjoy these so much I don't have it in me to go looking for more. Plus the fact that the scents I love are sometimes hard to get a hold of keeps my spending to a low roar. You take care Deb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!! I saw you in one of the Facebook groups and thought 'Oh, glad she's back!' and now here you are. =)

      If I were to answer this tag today, my choices would be different. I want to love The Bathing Garden just like so many others do, and I've even ordered a couple times now, but I just keep shoving her stuff to back of my stash so I still don't know how I like them. I think I'm hesitant because my early experiences (long ago) were not anything impressive. I also prefer shops that have single tarts as opposed to multi packs or clamshells.

      ~Deb

      Delete