Friday, February 8, 2013

Haul - Books

I don't seem to be sticking to the Don't Buy Extras plan that hubby and I put into effect at the start of this year.  I couldn't help this one though!  And hubby laughed it off, saying it can be my Valentine's present.  Works for me! 

Anyway, since becoming sucked into the booky world right towards the end of last year, I've noticed that Beautiful Creatures is all the rage at the moment.  The movie version of the first book in this series comes out next week, and of course everyone is scrambling to read the book before then.  Honestly, I'm not even positive what it's about.  I know there is magic, or witchcraft.  I think the girl needs to decide which side she'll choose . . . good or dark, something like that. 

I've looked at Walmart pretty much every time I've been there the last month or so, and have never seen these books there.  I thought it was weird, considering it's supposedly going to be the next big thing, 'the next Twilight.'  A friend of mine really REALLY wants to read the books and see the movie, and was freaking out that she can't find them anywhere.  Well, imagine my surprise this morning when I finally saw the whole set prominently displayed on the Walmart shelf!  Finally!  I immediately sent her a text, cyberscreeching about it.  LOL

I've seen various covers for these books.  The most popular seems to be a gorgeous box set.  Those covers are very similar to these but are mainly black with the colors being in the lettering.
Like, the picture and font are the same but the popular set is black where this one is purple.  The trees would be shimmery silver-gray on the popular one, where this is still purple but still sort of shimmery.  And the title letters on the popular one are beautiful purple.  I would have liked to get that box set but these are all gorgeous too, sort of an all over low shimmer.  The first three are paperback, the fourth (newest) is hard cover.  I'm excited to have these finally!

There is no way I'll have the first one read before the movie comes out.  I'm still working through the Mortal Instrument series.  I don't even know if I'll go see this movie in the theater because A) we just don't go see many movies in the theater, and B) that would be spending money we're TRYING not to spend.  I know, you're laughing at me on that point.  I'm laughing too.

But anyway . . . YAY for books!!!!  I definitely need more bookshelves now.

Have you heard of Beautiful Creatures?  Will you go see the movie?  Or read the book(s)?

8 comments:

  1. When I first saw the name I was like, "Wasn't that the movie with Kate Winslet and Rose from 2 1/2 Men?" D'oh, that's Heavenly Creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I always think of Kate Winslet too!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I saw a preview for the movie and was intrigued (but also had no idea what it was really about) and picked up the first book. It took me a little bit to get into it, but once I did I enjoyed it. Very typical young adult fantasy, but much better (and not nearly as trashy) as the Twilight series. Although to be honest, having read the book and seen more previews, it doesn't seem like the movie will be as good as the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twilight is one of my favorite books ever, but I didn't care much for the rest of that series. I've actually enjoyed the movie versions of New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn way more than the books.

      I'm looking forward to reading this, but I have something else I want to read first. I need to get cracking!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of this book...or the movie. Have I been hiding under a rock? I will google right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're not a book nerd maybe it's not so obviously popular. Like Lauren mentioned in the comment below, the movie doesn't seem to be getting much mass marketing. I see commercials for Warm Bodies all the time, but have only seen any for this maybe once or twice.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. I think I've heard of the movie, but it hasn't been getting much amss marketing, has it? I would definitely read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to watch the trailer online because I'm just not seeing commercials for it. I think Warm Bodies is stealing the spotlight. A friend of mine watches tons of TV like Entertainment Tonight and shows of that type, and apparently they're saying this will be the next big Twilight type thing, and that these unknown actors will be the next mega stars.

      ~Deb

      Delete