Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Haul - Sweet Fixations / Tarts

The second of my recent I'm Not Supposed To Be Buying Anything But Hubby Wanted Floral Scents orders arrived yesterday.  This was is from Sweet Fixations, which I'm pretty sure is my favorite wax vendor now.  I think this is my fourth order from there overall.

Let's just dive right in . . .

  • Sinus Relief - 'Smells like Vick's vapor rub. Cool, crisp mint fragrance. This seriously works!!'  Stocked up on these babies, got five.  I always doubted whether so-called 'sinus relief' tarts worked but when we melted one in our bedroom one night, both hubby and I did indeed seem to sleep better.  Wishful thinking?  Coincidence?  We'll find out.  And melting just half was plenty strong, so really, these five should last a good long time.
  • Tulip - 'Very lovely strong scent, not overly floral.'  Tulips are probably my favorite flower but I really wouldn't know what one smells like if you shoved it in my face.  Hubby wanted floral scents though, and since I don't see this often I grabbed it.  And sniffing it, it's actually a really nice scent.  There is an almost spicy, greenery note and not the usual perfumey grandma's bathroom flower scent.
  • Dreamcatcher - 'Very unique and so beautiful! Powdery with floral hints. One of a kind!'  This one is very light on cold sniff.  It's sort of a sweet scent, almost leaning towards fruity.  The powdery note is soft and pretty but not inyerface baby powder type.
  • Violet & Birch - 'Strong, intriguing blend of white birch, violet, orchid with a musky base. Beautiful scent.'  Every time I browse the scent list I'm curious about this one.  Again, hubby wanted florals so I got this.  Ooohhhhh, it's very pretty.  It's strong, a sweet floral again, with just the lightest hints of musk and woody notes giving it a nice base.  Me likes!!
  • Fresh Cut Roses - 'Smells like a wonderful floral rose bouquet. Lovely!'  Rose is often a scent that you either absolutely love, or absolutely hate.  I lean towards the haters club.  Hubby wanted floral scents, and I was trying to get a variety, so I got this one anyway.  It smells like  . . . roses.  It does remind me of Valentine's and the floral department of the local grocery store and old fashioned grandmas.  It's nice, but florals just aren't my thing.
  • Lily of the Valley - 'A delicate, white-green floral flower.'  Oooh, this one is very green and quite perfumey.  This really reminds me of being outside in spring or early summer.  For as much as I don't like the really perfumey type florals, this has a strong enough wet greenery note to balance that.  There is almost a cut grass hint to it.  I kinda like this one.
  • Domestic Goddess - 'Jasmine and lavender are warmed with rich woods and sweetened by a base of vanilla musk. Fresh, clean laundry scent.'  Really not sure why I got this since I don't think I like jasmine and I'm not often a fan of lavender, but the fact that it's classified as a laundry scent gave me hope.  On cold sniff right now I'm not really smelling anything but the zucchini bread that it was packaged against.  Hmm, will have to let this sit out by itself for a while and see if it comes into its own scent.
  • Fairy Dust - 'Fresh lemon peel creates a sparkling accent for the sunny fruit accord that opens this fragrance. A rich fruity floral signature balances night blooming jasmine with fresh cassis, while hints of ozone create a shimmering effect.'  Another one that just sounded interesting, but I think it's the lemon that hooked me.  I seem to be all about lemon lately.  This one is also very light right now.  What I do smell, I quite like.  I don't get any obvious lemon scent but there is a sweet, almost fizzy note.  There is something almost very lightly musk-like, possibly the ozone part of the blend.  This is almost a laundry type scent too, from the little bit I can smell at the moment.
  • Zucchini Bread - 'Fresh zucchini, and cinnamon with hints of spice. More on the creamy side.'  We already know I do NOT like zucchini bread scents.  Why the heck did I order this then?  Because my sister is wondering if she would like this horrible scent craze, so I got one for her try.  It's overpowering everything else in this order and I've even thrown it to the far corner of my desk in attempt to get rid of the smell while I write this.  LOL!
  • Plum Crazy - 'Sweet plum scent, sure to make you go crazy!'  This is a free sample I received with my order.  Usually the freebies are just another scallop tart, so it's fun that this is one of the 'candy bar' style tarts.  I mentioned in one post that I would like to eventually try ALL of the different products Sweet Fixations has, and this is one of them.  This is a .6 oz tart, so the whole thing would be melted.  (When ordering this style, you would get four of these bars in a package.)  This is a nice scent.  It's bright and fruity, sweet yet with a bit of tartness.
And finally, I love the fun little extra touches like this . . . a gummy heart candy for Valentine's Day!  One of my other orders had a pack of Smarties candies.  And there is always a handwritten note on the back of the business card, as well as on the invoice.  The few tarts that didn't fit in the usual tall plastic bag were packed into a super cute little cupcake-print cello bag.  And a bit of colorful crinkle paper mixed with the packing peanuts in the large padded envelope made something boring and necessary just a bit more fun.

Single scallop tarts at Sweet Fixations are $1.25, and scent shots are $1.50.  There are several other shapes and types of tarts in the 'bakery' section.

Shipping was decent.  I placed my order on Feb. 3 (Sunday morning) and received my package on Feb. 11.  I noticed in the tracking info that delivery was supposed to have been on Feb. 8 but for whatever reason it sat over the weekend at one of the postal centers.  Oh well, it still only took about a week and I'm totally ok with that.  They have a $7.00 flat rate shipping, or free shipping on orders over $50.00.  I'm pretty sure you get at least one free sample with every order.

I just really love this company!

9 comments:

  1. "I'm Not Supposed To Be Buying Anything But Hubby Wanted Floral Scents," LOL I love that you called it that! :)

    You got some nice florals...I feel like it's that time, to start looking for tropical and florals, but I can't shake the want/need for spicy scents! Fairy Dust sounds like a great scent and I can't wait for your reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been blindly melting whatever Front Porch scent I pull out of the box for so long now, and they all seem to be sweet and fruity. I'm getting sick of them. I might need to dive into my other tarts to find something really warm and spicy and bakery.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Ha! Thanks!! We'll see if I hate it. Hopefully you won't throw it in the road before I get a chance at it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just straight zucchini bread. So many of the popular scents right now are zucchini bread blends. Even so, just having this in the mix can kill a scent for me.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. Violet Birch sounds really good! I need to place an order with Sweet Fixations...after my wax ban.

    Curious to see what your sister will think of zucchini bread! I haven't tried Sweet Fixation's version. I have decided that some are a lot better than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered how much they vary. I didn't even bother opening this one to get an idea. It's strong and I could smell that moist, salty veggiebreadness overpowering the rest of the package, and that was all I needed to know.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. Hey Deb ! Great haul but I see a lot of common scents you could get for much cheaper, try Granny's Kountry Candles. Her Soy ScentShots are $.65 each and $.50 when you buy two or more of the same scents. They're 1.5 oz and they are REALLY strong ! Also over $25 you get free shipping :) And no I do not work for them lol but I just know that a lot (if not all) of the scents you got from Sweet Fixations, GKC has them for half the price !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Thanks for the info. I've heard too many disappointing things about that vendor, so I'm in no hurry to place an order there.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah in the past her tarts used to be very weak but she changed the wax. I personally haven't tried her old wax but I made a huuuge order 1-2 months ago and everything I've melted so far has been really strong and long lasting. Also the owner is such a sweetheart. Anyways it's up to you, since her tarts are so cheap I'd say it's worth a try though xoxo :)

    ReplyDelete