Thursday, February 7, 2013

Haul - Ten Digit Creations / Tarts

Ten Digit Creations is a vendor I was familiar with back in my soap days, but these days I've been hearing a lot about them because of their wax tarts.  I never did try their soap back then, but I have now received my first order of tarts.

Yeah, yeah . . . I'm not supposed to be buying tarts.  I know.  I haven't forgotten that.  But over the weekend hubby was saying he wanted more sinus relief tarts as well as some spring/floral scents.  So yeah, we allowed ourselves a couple of small orders.  I also used the opportunity to finally try Ten Digits.  Yay!

So, what did I get?
  • Eucalyptus Spearmint - 'An invigorating blend of eucalyptus and spearmint.'  I didn't see an actual sinus relief tart in the listings but thought this one might be close enough.  It's not like the familiar Vicks scent but it is still a really nice, strong scent.  I think this combo might be used for stress relief, right?  Well, I could use a ton of that too these days.
  • Lilac - 'The aroma of a freshly blooming lilac bush.'  Ohhh my gosh, I'm not a floral fan in general but there is always a spot in my heart for the scent of lilac.  We had a huge lilac bush in our backyard when I was growing up, and we have a big lilac bush in our front yard here in our current house.  And this is an awesome lilac, smelling fresh and true.
  • Forget Me Not - 'Aroma of these fragrant delicate flowers in full bloom.'  Hard for me to describe since I'm not a floral fan.  Not a really perfume-y type floral, more of a greenery type.
  • Butterfly Meadows - 'Spring meadow filled with dandelions, verbena, heliotrope, lily of the valley, weeping willows, sweet pea blossoms, and kentucky blue grass.'  This is a new scent at Ten Digits and I think I got it on sale because of that.  I was interested in this because of the green notes mixed with the florals in the description.  Sniffing it, there is a strong grass note with lots of lighter prettier notes dancing in the background.  It smells like being outdoors in summer.
  • Violet Vixen - 'Violet blends with crisp, clean lime to produce this sophisticated fragrance.'  Since these were meant for hubby, I wanted to get a variety of different flower scents.  This one just sounded interesting with that lime twist.  It's very sweet and sort of powdery.  Not obviously floral, but pretty all the same.
  • Dragonfly - 'She smells of jasmine blooms, fresh air, and sunshine.'  Another new scent that was on sale, and another that sounded interesting.  Apparently fresh air and sunshine smell like cheap urinal cakes because that's totally what I get from this.  Hubby asked 'How would you know what urinal cakes smell like???'  LOL!  Seriously though, I do not like this one.  Hubby thinks it's ok.  Hopefully he melts it on a weekend that I have to work.
  •  Rattlesnake Grass - 'Fresh leafy greens showered with sweet orange flowers.'  I'd never heard of this scent so I just had to get it.  Another interesting one, sweetly floral.  There is the lush green note that keeps it from being straight floral, and then the sweet, almost sparkling note from the orange flowers.
  • Pink Sands - 'Bright citrus, sweet florals, and spicy vanilla.'  This ever-popular Yankee scent is not new but it must be new at Ten Digits.  I think I have had this scent from elsewhere, possibly even an actual Yankee tart or votive, but I really didn't remember what it was like so I decided to go ahead and get it.  I really like this one!  It is bright and sweet, with just the teeniest touch of warmth from the vanilla.  It's not fruity.  It's not floral.  It's an excellent mix.
  • Maple Sugar - 'The sweet smell of maple syrup and brown sugar.'  You didn't really think I'd place an order and not get myself some scents, did you???  This one is a little disappointing right now on cold sniff.  It's a maple syrup scent but it's not as sweet as you'd expect.  There is almost a burnt note to it, or pepper note.  Something odd about it at the moment.  Hope it's better when warmed.
  • Cafe Vienna - 'Coffee sweetened with vanilla, caramel, and brown sugar.'  This is super duper uber yummy!  A wonderful coffee scent without the bitter note, all sweetened up with creamy caramel and vanilla and sugar.  You do get a definite caramel note in here.  Love!
  • Sunday Morning - 'Nutty sweet cream, freshly grated nutmeg, carmelized pecans, almond, marzipan, and vanilla swirled with brown sugar.'  I can't remember if ScentMyWay (YouTube) had this in her recent haul video, or where I'd heard about it, but I knew I had to have it.  It's NOT what I was expecting.  This strikes me as a fall scent, not a ooey gooey sweet bakery scent like I thought it would be.  The almond must have a big role in this deception.  I don't know, there is almost like a cider note.  There is sweetness and warmth, a hint of spice, but there is an almost tanginess, something reminding me of cider.  It's a nice scent, just not at all what I was expecting.  I might hold on to this for fall.
  • Avocado & Sea Salt - 'Salty marine notes blend with bright grapefruit, soft white rose, and creamy avocado.'  This was a free tart in my order, and another of their new scents.  I get a lot of the rose and something spa-like, probably those salty marine notes.  I don't like this because it's too perfumey floral, but hubby likes it and it's meant for him anyway so I guess it works. 
The thing that most people probably know Ten Digits tarts for is the foil cupcake liners they come in.  They are 1 oz. tarts but they seem freakin' ginormous.  (I weighed one though, and it is indeed 1 oz.)  These tarts are also dye free.  I admit, pretty colors and cute shapes or decorations are definite eye candy even for me, but in the end all tarts melt down to a puddle of wax and it's the scents we buy them for.

I love that I can get single tarts at Ten Digit Creations.  They have a 4-pack option and a 13-pack option, but I went with singles on this first order.  They are normally $1.25 each.  There is also a What's New section where tarts are currently on sale for only 85cents. 

Shipping was lightning fast, which is one of the things I'd kept hearing and one of the reasons I wanted to order from here.  I placed my order Sunday morning and had the package Wednesday morning.  They have flat rate shipping of $5.95, which is awesome compared to most others who do flat rate shipping.  They also still do first class shipping on small orders.  If that means you're charged actual shipping I will be in total love with this company.  There are many times I've wanted to just try one or two scents from a vendor but the high flat rate shipping has kept me from doing so.

Ten Digit Creations has a line of bath and body products as well as their tarts, room sprays, and incense.  As mentioned earlier in this post, it was their soaps that I was originally familiar with.  This is a shop that was always on my 'must try' list back in my soap shopping frenzy days, but for whatever reason I just never did.  I still don't need to buy any soap yet but I think next time I place an order here (and I definitely will be!) I will finally be trying their soap, and probably their lip balm too.  I have not melted any of the tarts yet but if the strength of the cold throw is any indication, they should be fine.  So overall, I am satisfied with this order and thrilled to have finally tried this vendor!

Have YOU tried Ten Digit Creations?

19 comments:

  1. Urinal cakes, LOL! I'm looking forward to hearing about your next order, I had something of theirs in my favorites at one point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, their About Us page is funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some great scents in your order! Sunday Morning, Forget Me Not and Violet Vixen are among my favorites from TDC. Everything that I've used from them has performed really well so far, I'm really impressed with this vendor! Enjoy your goodies =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear they perform well.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. I have gotten some tarts from here before, too! They were very nice. I got a grass scent and I loved it. I don't think they stayed especially long but they definitely held for a while and the scents were noticeable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully they last through one tea light at least.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  5. I have order from TDC and I liked pretty much everything in my order. Shoulda held off for Pink Sands, though! Might need to snag a couple of those. I had no idea they had a bath line until I went to their website! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to eventually try their soap and lip balm, but will probably pass on their lotions/butters. (I see those are made from bases and contain urea, which is my personal icky point.)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  6. I love "Apparently fresh air and sunshine smell like cheap urinal cakes because that's totally what I get from this." LOLOL, I was rolling when I read this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I died when I read: Hubby asked 'How would you know what urinal cakes smell like???' Hahahahaha!

      Delete
    2. LOL - I had to explain to him that work used to also have those cheap-ass nasty 'air freshener' puck things in the womens bathroom too, like cheap gas station bathroom scents.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  7. I don't have too many floral scents but the ones you picked sound nice - with the exception of the urinal cake one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want someone else to get the urinal cake one now, just so I can see what other people think. Come on, wax bloggers! Everyone order The Urinal Cake and post your reviews! LOL

      ~Deb

      Delete
  8. "Apparently fresh air and sunshine smell like cheap urinal cakes because that's totally what I get from this." LOL too

    And Kurth's reaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's still around next time you're here, I'm having you sniff it.

      And it's funny because Candles By Victoria has an Edward (Twilight) scent that I hate because it's way too floral-perfumey. It's supposed to be based off the description of Edward in the book, which includes "sunshine." I soooooo do not imagine a hot, sexy vampire smelling like flowery perfume! I don't imagine sunshine smelling like that either.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. I agree--that's lame. I would think "sunshine" would be some kind of ... like, clean, clear, fresh scent, sort of sharp? Not flowery. Or, interpreting "sunshine" a different way, a warm musk.

      No ... wait ... fine, I have to admit it: I always pictured him smelling like a urinal cake.

      And I know that smell too, from cleaning the men's bathroom at ye olde gas station in our hometown.

      Delete
    3. P.S. Every time I see that top picture it looks like smiley faces.

      Delete
    4. I'm undecided what sunshine would smell like, but none of my ideas are what I would like to think Edward smells like.

      I've thought of smiley faces too! LOL

      ~Deb

      Delete