Monday, February 4, 2013

My Tart Storage

There are always a lot of videos on YouTube, and some blog posts, showing tart storage.  I've often wondered why people would care to see something like that, and have wondered if it's really just more of a way to see how much wax a person has instead of how it's stored.  But whatever . . . I usually skip those videos and posts but I saw one today and decided I'd go ahead and do one too since I haven't been posting much lately anyway.

In what used to be our dining room is an ancient buffet that has been in my family for as long as I can remember.  (There is a matching table and chairs, and someday I'd like to have the whole dang set refinished and fixed up.)  I store my tarts in one of the end cupboards of that buffet.

The top shelf is just a mix of things.  You can see some old candy dishes and some old fake flowers in the back.  My tea lights are there in the front.  An extra lighter over there on the right.  Those few tarts are ones I was going to do a comparison of with another vendor's version of the same scents.

The bottom shelf contains my entire stash.  Those are two medium flat rate boxes, to give you an idea of size.  Yes, my stash is tiny compared to most other wax fans, but right now I feel *this* is uncomfortably large.
In the back is that Christmas basket that I won.  It was full of soaps at the time but has now become a tart storage basket until Christmas rolls around again.

The first box, on the left, contains what is left of my Front Porch stash.  In total, I have four 4-pks, two 3-pks, and 19 singles from Front Porch.  Most are from the large order I made thanks to the holiday gift certificates I'd received.  A few are things I've received as gifts or in swaps.

The other box, on the right, is my entire Sweet Fixations stash.  There are 39 singles in here, almost all of them from that large order I placed at the end of the year.  I haven't really dipped into here yet because I've decided to use up my Front Porch stuff first for whatever reason.

And in the basket at the back is a mix of other things, mostly my Walmart clamshells.  There are a few holiday scents from Front Porch that I want to hang on to.  And there are six Candles From The Keeping Room tarts in here.  Oh, and there is one Scent Appeal clamshell in here that I received as a gift.

And that is IT.  I've said many times that I'm trying to not buy any wax (or anything extra) for a while because we're trying to take care of some debt, but even if I wasn't doing that I still feel uncomfortable when I have this much wax piled up.  I find I don't appreciate the tarts when I have a lot.  I tend to just race through the melting in order to get rid of them.  I don't remember scents much when I do that, don't develop favorites, don't melt them till their scent is gone.  I did pretty darn good at not buying in January.  I only spent $4.50 on tarts, all of those from Walmart.  One was a 50cent Christmas clearance, one was a gift for someone, and one was a backup pack of an old favorite scent. 

Having said that though, I did place two orders yesterday.  But they weren't my fault!  LOL!  Hubby was unhappy with the scent choices we have on hand, said he was in the mood for some spring/floral scents because he's sick of winter already.  He also mentioned that the sinus relief tart really seemed to work, and that I should get more.  We briefly debated just running to the Yankee outlet to get some votives in spring scents, but decided we just didn't feel like going anywhere, so I hopped online and placed a couple orders.  So yes, you will see a couple tart hauls coming up in the next week or so.

I'm off now to read my book!

12 comments:

  1. I've always looked at collection posts and videos to get storage and organization ideas. My stash is about the same size as yours, though I've placed two orders that will probably never be posted at the rate my internet situation is going :(
    I'm considering doing a post with tips on storage for small spaces, besides the obvious solution of "get rid of 'unneeded' items."
    But I like your storage. It's simple yet effective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My stash is usually small enough that I don't need to worry about how to store it. LOL!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I love me some storage posts/videos. For me, it's a little of both: storage ideas and I like to see what types of tarts people have in their collections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like ScentMyWay's little cupcake box she's using now for her empties. I have a really nice box like that but it's Christmas themed. I'd like to find something with a year-round design to keep things in, especially now that hubby is going to start melting HIS scents in the living room.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Wow, your tarting has rubbed off on the menfolk!

      Delete
  3. Nice job not buying! Despite the recent orders, lol.

    I was going to say about the buffet pics, "But that's where the [whatever was in there way back when, at the house] go!" but I can't remember what was in there, so that didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That end door used to have the fancy silverware set in that black case. It also held the 8-track tapes, and various junk at different times. It was the other end door that held the coloring book, colors, scrap paper, etc. The small top drawer was also random junk, and the larger drawer on the bottom held all the records.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Yep, remembered the others :D

      It doesn't quite click for me, thinking about it right now, that it isn't in the room at Paul's, even though I've seen it at your house plenty of times and seen the dining room at Paul's without it plenty of times.

      Delete
  4. I just discovered the whole YouTube tart community a few weeks ago by googling "tart storage" after I bought a ton of tarts at the Yankee outlet and got tired of the stacks falling over in my little cabinet. I had no idea recording your hauls was a thing! It made me feel a lot better about my own stash though since I have nowhere near the amount of wax that some people do :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of those people are crazy, aren't they?! The word, uh, 'hoarders' comes to mind. Heh.

    How do the Yankee tarts work for you? I've never had any luck with them, never any scent throw. From what I've seen mentioned in videos it seems Yankee quality in general is taking a dive lately. That's a bummer because we have an outlet store nearby that I'd love to get tarts from ... but they just don't work for me.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apartment is only 750 sq ft so most Yankee tarts do ok, and some I even need to break into 3 or 4 pieces or it's overwhelming. I use a tealight burner though, which apparently makes a difference. I try to wait for sales and good deals on YC, like the outlet this month had 18 votives/tarts for $12.99. I won't pay full price anymore, since the quality definitely seems to be slipping :(

      Delete
    2. I use a tea light warmer too. Not many of us do, apparently. :)

      ~Deb

      Delete