Thursday, March 21, 2013

Mini Book Haul

These are the last two books from my big Amazon back at the end of 2012, before we went into Cut Spending Mode.  These were pre-orders at that time, which explains why I'm just getting them now.

Emblaze, by Jessica Shirvington

NO GOOD CHOICES
When you're hanging off the edge of a volcano, how do you make the most important decision of your life? For Violet Eden the decisions between right and wrong are getting harder and harder. Because apparently being a half-angel Grigori doesn't always make you right.

Where is the good in having to choose between the life of her best friend and saving humanity? How does she balance a soul-crushing need for her Grigori partner, Lincoln, and the desire to keep him safe at all costs? And what if the darkest exiled angel of all, Phoenix, isn't as bad as she thought?

Both sides—Angels vs. Exiles—are racing to decipher an ancient scripture that would allow anyone banished to the Underworld to return. And at the very center: Violet. She only has one chance to make the right choice...
 
This is the third book in the Embrace series.  I've been wanting to do a nattering post about this series because I think it's the first time since Twilight that I've been so excited.  Sadly, the start of this book just isn't grabbing me like the first two did.  I hope things turn around soon.  I'd seen some hints online about some things coming up but I don't know if they're in this book or the next one.  I guess I'll find out!
 
Clockwork Princess, by Cassandra Clare

THE INFERNAL DEVICES WILL NEVER STOP COMING
A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.

Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.

As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?

Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.
 
This is the third book in the Infernal Devices series, which is the prequel series to the Mortal Devices series (City of Bones, etc.).  Before I'd started reading the MD books, I was actually more interested in this series because it's set back 1800's England.  So I was quite bummed when I finally started reading the first of these books and just couldn't get into it.  I think a huge part of that though, was that I knew I'd have Emblaze coming soon and it was THAT one that I was really wanting to read.  I'm still very much looking forward to reading this series though!

I noticed the cover of this says 'Collector's First Edition' and was all intrigued.  I think it's because of this . . .
. . . the inside of the dust jacket has an archive looking family tree.  I've heard there are spoilers in this little 'gift' so I have not looked at it any more than I had to to take the picture.  LOL

And that is my mini haul.  Once I finish reading Emblaze, I have this Infernal Devices series, but I also have that Beautiful Creatures series.  I'm not sure which one I want to dive into first?!  There are soooooooooo many books on my Amazon wish list that I want to read, that I can't wait to be able to order, but I'm determined to get through what I have first.  If I was *really* sticking to that plan, there are tons more books already on my shelves that still need to be read but they are books that just don't interest me as much as the ones I don't have.  Isn't that how it always works?

Have YOU read anything good lately?

3 comments:

  1. THE ENCHANTED LIFE OF ADAM HOPE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one where he just mysteriously appears, right? I read your review and one problem I had right away was that you said (I think) that it was never explained who or what he was, and that it didn't matter. To me it does matter. I need to know such things and have it all tied up nicely!

      Or did I totally misunderstand the review?

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Yep, that's the one. Nope, you're right about what it said. Yeah, then I think the book would just bother the hell out of you. Lol!

      Delete