Monday, March 18, 2013

Walmart Wax Mini-Haul

In a previous post I mentioned that has a new Lemon Cake scented candle that I was pretty sure I would eventually have to get.  Well, I got it.  I also noticed a large display at the end of one of the aisles, featuring all Scentsationals tarts and warmers . . . and when I saw Lemon Chiffon, I had to have that too.

The candle is from the Mainstays brand, which has surprised me in the past with the amount of scent and throw they have.  This is a 6 oz. one, a new style/size that I haven't noticed there before.  It only cost $2.00.

The scent is soooo yummy on this little guy!  You get the sort of sweet, Lemonheads type lemon, but you also get the slightly warm and soft cake note.

I hope this things burns decently.  The wick is quite short and as you can see, quite off center.  Maybe I should have looked for a more centered one.  Oh well, we'll light it and hope for the best.

Lemon Chiffon is super yummy too, but is definitely more tart and inyerface.  This reminds me a lot of the Front Porch Lemon Marshmallow and Lemon Cookies that I've been melting lately.  There is a sort of cookie or bakery note laying quietly behind the more bold candy lemon.  And it's strong!  I haven't melted any of this yet but I'm thinking I'll be able to get away with using just one cube at a time.  (I usually use two.)

Love love love both of these scents!

Speaking of Scentsationals tarts, I'll do a quick list of the others I saw in that end display.  I don't think these are really 'new' but some of them are new to my store.  I sniffed those that I'd not seen before, but did not take any thorough notes or anything.  I think the Walmart people think I'm weird for all the time I spent sniffing and jotting down tart names.  LOL!

Anyway, the list . . .
  • Cupcake
  • Rise & Shine (sort of a warm spiced orange, not a bright zippy orange)
  • Rhubarb Crumble
  • Vanilla Bean
  • Tropical Fiesta (passionfruit and guava)
  • Fireside
  • Fresh Air
  • Sweet Pea
  • Mandarin Mango Madness
  • Coffee Cake Swirl (sugary cinnamon first, with cake note in background)
  • Black Raspberry Vanilla
  • Zen
  • Strawberries & Cream
  • Calypso Sands (floral, honeydew, and "light breeze")
  • Faded Denim (sort of a soft musk and cotton or laundry scent)
  • Lemon Chiffon (LOVE!)
  • Sunlit Meadows (citrus, florals, musk - sort of sweet and musky, nice)
  • Coconut Macaroon (super yummy coconut and cake notes)
  • Rain Kissed
  • Ginger Peach
  • Vanilla Woods (oak leaves, vanilla - interesting, might try this one)
  • Citrus Cilantro
  • Raspberry Fizz
This is where I'd like to go on a little rant about those who deem me unworthy to participate in the wax world because I enjoy the dreaded "Walmart wax," but after thinking about it . . . nah.  We'll just say that I am aware and that I don't like you much either.

So anyway, I'm obvious all into lemon scents these days.  What are YOU into at the moment?

21 comments:

  1. Oooh, sounds nice. I was at Kohl's two months ago and was sniffing candles in their Sonoma line, do you have a Kohl's in your area? I really wanted to buy their strawberry rose scent but figured I'd wait for it to go on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have a Kohl's near here but it's been ages since I've been there. I just don't go to the mall much. I usually zip into town and get my shopping done so early in the morning that the mall isn't even open yet.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. People need to back off of Walmart wax. Scentsationals have a great scent strength and throw - and are so accessible. I've heard Lemon Chiffon is amazing. I love that Cupcake scent they carry! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Scentsationals/BH&G have always been strong and reliable for me. They are super affordable, easily available, and you can sniff before you buy. Sometimes spending all the extra money with private vendors is a waste because you get weak throw or scents you don't like or poor business practices.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I picked up Zen and Vanilla Woods last time I was there but haven't been in the mood to melt either one yet. Anyone who hasn't tried the Walmart wax is missing out--there are some great scents, and most of the ones I've tried have seriously strong throw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, as mentioned in my reply above, they have always been reliable and strong for me. The scent selection isn't as amazing as you find in the private vendors, but that does not mean the product is bad. A lot of casual wax fans don't even order from private vendors! So yeah, I will continue to buy Walmart wax and blog about them because there are plenty of people out there who DO like them.

      And I'm glad to see Walmart wax supporters commenting. :)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. I like Calypso - I need to pick that up next time I'm at Walmart. Along with Lemon Chiffon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being able to sniff something before buying it. Haven't melted any of my Lemon Chiffon yet.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  5. Lemon Chiffon sounds really nice! I love that you took notes...let 'em think you're weird, better yet, tell them it's for your blog and ask them if they have any inside info! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should make sort of badge, like a name thing. Something official looking that says Wax Blogger or something. LOL - then when I'm looking geeky in the store anyone who really notices me will notice my official badge.

      I'm such a dork!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  6. Lemon Chiffon is amazing! I have three back ups;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't started melting mine yet but might have to grab a backup next time I'm at the store. I doooo love that one!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  7. Love lemon chiffon. I Melted it all last week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't melted any of this yet because I'd been melting so many lemon scents in one long stretch. I do have a week off work now, plenty of melting time, so I might have to finally give this a try. :)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  8. This made me want to buy about 40 packs of tarts there. And I'm going there today. Uh oh.

    Lemon Chiffon sounds reeally awesome.

    Fuck the anti-Walmart-tart people. LOL. As far as my feeble mind can remember, it's always performed better than any of the private vendor tarts you've sent me, (as good as some of them are), and the scents are just really, really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So you went there and you didn't buy ANY, did you? One of these days I'd like to just order from the actual Scentsationals site. I always say that, but never do it. They have some really good deals too! Lately they've been having a weekly thing where if you buy three of their featured scent you can pick two free packs from the five others they're offering. The featured ones have been good too, not random crap scents that no one wants anyway.

    I'm always defending the Walmart tarts. The Scentsy people especially like to trash them. *rolls eyes*

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't--gotta save money this week :)
    Sounds like a sweet deal.
    Gag--Scentsy is better 'cause it's more expensive! And you know, I bet if Better Homes & Gardens/Scentsationals were selling at Target *instead* of Walmart, it would be a different story. People are so sucked in by a name. I would love to see those people do a blind scent test & see what they liked. I just did a quick search for Scentsy and saw some boob on a forum saying the Walmart tarts smell like wax. Um, what? No.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is one Scentsy seller at work and she trashed Partylite tarts as "they use regular candle wax." Huh??? She also tries to convince people that Scentsy is better because you get two more cubes than in the Walmart packs. Hmmm, well, the cubes are smaller and the overall weight of the package is only .1 oz different. Try again, superbly ignorant fool.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. And why do people flock to and follow dumb people?

      ~Deb

      Delete
    3. Maybe because you can remain dumb in their presence?

      Delete