Friday, May 31, 2013

Read - Anya's Ghost

Anya's Ghost
by Vera Brosgol
2011
221 pages

Anya could really use a friend. But her new BFF isn’t kidding about the “Forever” part . . . 

Of all the things Anya expected to find at the bottom of an old well, a new friend was not one of them. Especially not a new friend who’s been dead for a century. 

Falling down a well is bad enough, but Anya’s normal life might actually be worse. She’s embarrassed by her family, self-conscious about her body, and she’s pretty much given up on fitting in at school. A new friend—even a ghost—is just what she needs. Or so she thinks.

Spooky, sardonic, and secretly sincere, Anya’s Ghost is a wonderfully entertaining debut from author/artist Vera Brosgol.


This is the first graphic novel I've ever read.  I'm not even sure how to review such a book.  I've heard others commenting on the quality of illustrations in their reviews, if they are colorful or if the faces show enough emotion, etc.  Since this is my first, I'm sure I won't be nearly as technical as the old pros!  lol

After spending so much time reading long YA paranormal romance series lately, this little book was a complete breath of fresh air.  I whipped through it in about two hours.  I was amazed how many little things could be conveyed in seemingly simple comic strip style blocks of storytelling, how just a couple line changes on a face can change the whole emotion, how an added word like -SLAM- over a door could actually say so much.  It was just plain ol' fun to read this!

The illustrations in this particular book are just basic black-white-gray.  I've seen other books online that have lots of color and varying amounts of detail.

The story was cute.  There were some twists and darker points, and in the end there were some moral lessons, but it was very quick paced and stayed pretty light hearted.  My only real complaint would be that the story ended a bit too abruptly.

Upon finishing this, I was thrilled to be able to say I finished a book in just a couple hours, and thrilled to now have read a graphic novel, but there was not quite the full satisfaction of having read a full length novel.  It was sort of like fast forwarding through a movie and only picking up the very basics of the story, instead of sitting down and committing to it and having time to really get into it.  Overall though, it was fun and I wouldn't mind reading more graphic novels.

2 comments:

  1. I WANT TO READ THE ACTUAL BOOK BUT I CANT how can i read it it looks really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello.

      I can't help you, sorry. I ordered mine online.

      ~Deb

      Delete