Friday, May 17, 2013

Small Book Haul

I'm scrambling for things to post about so this poor ol' blog doesn't become buried under a layer of dust, so I thought I'd do a quickie book haul.  I've bent the rules a bit on our Cut Spending goal when it comes to books but I've still been keeping it low.  I really should start going to the library, but I just hate having that due date and feeling pressured to get the book done fast.

Invincible, by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Nick Gautier’s day just keeps getting better and better. Yeah, he survived the zombie attacks, only to wake up and find himself enslaved to a world of shapeshifters and demons out to claim his soul.

His new principal thinks he’s even more of a hoodlum than the last one, his coach is trying to recruit him to things he can’t even mention and the girl he’s not seeing, but is, has secrets that terrify him.

But more than that, he’s being groomed by the darkest of powers and if he doesn’t learn how to raise the dead by the end of the week, he will become one of them...

Found this one in the bargain bin.  Only $3.48 for a hardcover book?  Not bad at all.  Just one problem ... this is the second book in the series and I don't even have the first one yet.  Doh!

Mystic, by Alyson Noel
Since arriving in Enchantment, New Mexico, everything in Daire Santos life has changed. And not all for the better. While she's come to accept and embrace her new powers as a Soul Seeker, Daire struggles with the responsibility she holds navigating between the worlds of the living and the dead. And with the fate of her boyfriend Dace in the balance, Daire must put aside her personal feelings and focus on defeating Cade, whose evil plans threaten everyone she loves and the world as she knows it.

MYSTIC is the third book in The Soul Seekers, a magnificent new series about a girl who can navigate between the worlds of the living and the dead, by #1 New York Times bestselling author Alyson Noël.
Again, had not really planned on getting this one.  Originally I had bought it thinking it was going to be a gift to a friend but then ended up revising the gift plan.  It didn't break my heart being stuck with the book though because it's a series I'm planning on reading anyway.  But once again, this is the third book and I don't yet have the first or second.  LOL
Loki's Wolves, by K.L. Armstrong & M.A. Marr
"The runes have spoken. We have our champion...Matthew Thorsen."

Matt hears the words, but he can't believe them. He's Thor's representative? Destined to fight trolls, monstrous wolves and giant serpents...or the world ends? He's only thirteen.

While Matt knew he was a modern-day descendent of Thor, he's always lived a normal kid's life. In fact, most people in the small town of Blackwell, South Dakota, are direct descendants of either Thor or Loki, including Matt's classmates Fen and Laurie Brekke. No big deal.

But now Ragnarok is coming, and it's up to the champions to fight in the place of the long-dead gods. Matt, Laurie, and Fen's lives will never be the same as they race to put together an unstoppable team, find Thor's hammer and shield, and prevent the end of the world.

In their middle grade debut, K.L. Armstrong and M.A. Marr begin the epic Blackwell Pages series with this action-packed adventure, filled with larger-than-life legends, gripping battles, and an engaging cast of characters who bring the myths to life.
This one IS the first in the series, and a new series at that.  One thing I've discovered in the online book community is that A LOT of people still love to read 'middle grade' books.  This is kind of comforting because there are often 'kid' books that look quite fun, and sometimes you just need a quick and easy read to clear your head and get you out of a reading slump.  And this brand new one caught my eye because of the whole Vikings thing, and you know we're all about Vikings stuff in this house.  Skol!!
Those are the three books I've bought over the last several weeks.  There are TONS more that I want but I'm *trying* to hold off until I read through what I have already.  But there is one more that I might just go ahead order today . . . 
Ya see, another thing I've discovered from the book community is that A LOT of people also enjoy graphic novels.  I don't mean like 50 Shades graphic, I mean like comic book style.  I saw a couple people talk about this book, Anya's Ghost, in their videos and thought 'Hmmm, I might like to try a graphic novel too!'  And since hubby and Ty both need something ordered from Amazon, I might just sneak this book into my cart too.  The people at work will probably think I'm nuts for reading kids books and comics but hey, they'll still worship me for being a Reader.  LOL

So what do you think?  Have you read any graphic novels or middle grade books lately?  Have you stumbled across any fabulous new books I need to know about?  Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. For graphic novels, you might like Stardust by Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess (it was a regular novel too, I think) and the Castle Waiting series by Linda Medley. Both are older titles--I've been out of the grapic novel loop for a while LOL. The Fables series by Bill Willingham, about fairy tale characters hiding out in New York City, is also popular (especially now that 'Once Upon a Time' is a hit), but I found them kind of uneven. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the Stardust movie! Haven't read the book though. And that Castle Waiting series does look interesting. I'll have to wait and see how I feel about Anya's Ghost, see if I even like graphic novels...

      ~Deb

      Delete