Thursday, May 16, 2013

Song of the Moment - If You Could Read My Mind


Yep, another oldie that I'm obsessed with at the moment.  And another that I never really thought much of until now.  I don't know what changed my mind but I'm glad I've finally given this one a chance.  

One question though.  What do you understand this song as?  Has the relationship failed on both ends?  Has someone come between them?  Someone for her, or him?  I'm undecided how we're supposed to take this.

The lyrics . . .

If you could read my mind love
What a tale my thoughts could tell
Just like an old time movie
'Bout a ghost from a wishin' well
In a castle dark or a fortress strong
With chains upon my feet
You know that ghost is me
And I will never be set free
As long as I'm a ghost that you can't see
If I could read your mind love
What a tale your thoughts could tell
Just like a paperback novel
The kind that drugstores sell
When you reach the part where the heartaches come
The hero would be me
But heroes often fail
And you won't read that book again
Because the ending's just too hard to take

I'd walk away like a movie star
Who gets burned in a three way script
Enter number two
A movie queen to play the scene
Of bringing all the good things out in me
But for now love, let's be real
I never thought I could act this way
And I've got to say that I just don't get it
I don't know where we went wrong
But the feelin's gone
And I just can't get it back

If you could read my mind love
What a tale my thoughts could tell
Just like an old time movie
'Bout a ghost from a wishin' well
In a castle dark or a fortress strong
With chains upon my feet
But stories always end
And if you read between the lines
You'll know that I'm just tryin' to understand
The feelin's that you lack
I never thought I could feel this way
And I've got to say that I just don't get it
I don't know where we went wrong
But the feelin's gone
And I just can't get it back

3 comments:

  1. This song is sad. :(

    "The hero would be me
    But heroes often fail
    And you won't read that book again
    Because the ending's just too hard to take."

    Maybe he was her savior, they had a great relationship, but he kept messing up (seems like there's another person implied in the lyrics, even though he never thought he was capable of an affair/other relationship, IMO?)...she got tired of his @#!%, but he got tired of being her savior, so they just parted ways. She didn't want to re-live the relationship because it was too painful (the ending's too hard to take) and was afraid she'd get burned again, but he KNEW he screwed up bad, and he might want to give it another chance but knows there's no chance of that since he messed up.

    *whew*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it as he's having an affair, which he never thought he could do, and he's feeling prisoned by the relationship/marriage and he's about to leave. And he's sorry that he doesn't feel the way he used to about the gf/wife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of you have interesting takes on this. I see it sort of in between, I think.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete