Friday, June 14, 2013

Haul - My Pink Dreams (tarts)

I've been very good about not ordering tarts for many months now.  If you're a follower, you know that hubby and I came into 2013 with a mission to cut spending and get some debt taken care of.  Now that my stash (from a couple big orders right at the end of 2012) is gone and I only have leftover fall/holiday scents tucked away in the back of my tart cupboard, the urge to order has been coming back.  Since last weekend was our anniversary, I was going to allow myself a small order . . . but from where?

It's been a long time since I've just ordered from random 'unknown' vendors I find while browsing Etsy, so that's what I decided to do.  I'd browsed for a while and had several possible shops marked, and then I came across My Pink Dreams.   This shop has 2 oz. scent shots for TWENTY-FIVE CENTS. 

TWENTY-FIVE CENTS?!?!

That couldn't possibly be right.  Was there a sale?  I looked back over the info and didn't see anything about a sale.  Going out of business?  Again, didn't see anything about that.  Just getting into the business?  No clue.  Well, what the heck . . . twenty-five cents?  So I ordered.  LOL!
  • Chai Tea - 'A very complex fragrance! Our chai tea fragrance begins with top notes of spicy cinnamon bark and nutmeg; followed with a body of fresh green tea; finished off with the aroma of creamy soy milk.'   Smells sooooo freakin' good!  Would be a good fall scent, but I don't think I'll wait that long.  A strong tea scent but with a creaminess, and softly spiced.  And it has purple and yellow glitter, making it Vikings colors.  Skol!
  • Hazelnut Coffee - 'Hazelnut Coffee: An aroma of freshly brewed Arabica coffee beans combined with creamy vanilla with a base note of nutty hazelnuts.'  I love coffee scents, and this one is yummy, sort of sweet, not strong on that typical bitter coffee note.
  • Orange Chiffon Cake - 'Orange Chiffon Cake: A decadent blend of warm, buttery vanilla pound cake topped with a creamy, sweet orange meringue sprinkled with orange zest and toasted hazelnut.'   Ohhh, this is good.  A nice, full pound cake scent, and you really do get a distinct, bright orange note.
  • Orange Juice Cake - 'The aroma of buttery pound cake with orange zests, with base notes of vanilla, coconut, and caramel.'  The word 'juice' is misspelled on the label and the Etsy listing, but oh well.  This is a nice scent but I prefer the chiffon cake one.  This one is a lot sweeter, with a strong vanilla note.
  • Buttered Maple Oats & Honey - 'This fragrance has top notes of oatmeal and sweet cream butter, middle notes of cinnamon, raisins, and honey, and sits on dry base notes of vanilla, brown sugar, and maple. This fragrance is amazingly true to its name.This is yummy but again, makes me think of fall or winter in its warm coziness.  Strong on the oats and butter part, with all the other goodies lightly sweetening it up.
  • Lemon Pound Cake - 'This wonderful baked aroma begins with zesty lemon rinds, rounded out with buttery yellow sponge cake, toasted coconut, smothered in buttercream frosting.'  On cold sniff, I don't get much lemon in this.  I can tell it's there, but right now it's lurking deep in the pound cake note.  (This one also had a spelling error on the label.)
  • Lemon Sugar - 'Remember the taste of childhood, lemonhead candy? This fragrance takes it up a notch with citrus top notes of real lemon, and warm base notes of vanilla and sugar.'  This was a freebie in my order.  Yay for extras!  This is indeed lemony but it's more of a Pledge than a Lemonheads type.  Will be interesting to see how this is warm.
  • Green Apple Explosion - 'We believe we have quite possibly found the "spunkiest" green apple fragrance on earth! We thought about calling it Granny Smith Apple, but this fragrance deserves a name that "pops" just like its aroma.'  Another freebie, this guy was scenting the whole package and is hubby's favorite of the bunch.  It IS a nice scent, bright and fun and summery, but it doesn't immediately strike me as just apple.  It seems like there has to be something else in here, something making it more rich and candy-like.  Kinda reminds me of Jolly Rancher candies.
Turnaround time was fantastic.  I ordered late afternoon Sunday and the package arrived in Thursday's mail.  That is awesome!  My order arrived in a well sealed yellow padded envelope, with the individual tarts looking like this .........
Each was wrapped in tissue paper and then wrapped in very cute Hello Kitty tape.  I don't know if this was to absorb any oils and keep the lids on the cups?  They definitely survived the trip, but the amount of tape was inconvenient.  Cute, for sure, but too much.

The tarts themselves are all white with different colored glitters on them.  They are filled to the brim, for sure.  The label says 2 oz., and the one I popped out of the cup to check the actual weight was 1.7 oz..  These are 100% soy tarts.  The wax is sort of soft and crumbly around the top, yet when popped out of the cup the bulk of the tart feels quite solid.  I hope they're easy to cut because I will probably only melt half at a time.

As mentioned, turnaround time was awesome.  I was not thrilled with the shipping costs though.  A lot of people blame Etsy for 'stupid rules' but I had my own Etsy shop for two years and know how those things work.  Many shop owners will refund overcharges.  This one apparently doesn't.  There was no business card or invoice in the package.

The name My Pink Dreams seems familiar to me.  The Etsy shop is mainly nail polishes.  The Facebook page says they also have soaps and body products.  Maybe I know this name from my soap days?  I'm not sure yet.  There is not a huge scent list to choose from.  Again, I don't know much about this vendor.  Maybe there is another website with more offerings?  There are 19 scents to choose from in the Etsy shop right now, almost all of them being yummy foodie type scents.  And I still really wonder why they are only twenty-five cents.

I have not actually melted any of these yet.  Cold scent is pretty strong on all of them so I'm hoping they are good and strong while melting.  Scent shots and tarts I have to cut are not my favorite formats but for the price that these are, I'm willing to deal with those minor technicalities.

And for those nail polish lovers out there, here is a sample of what My Pink Dreams offers .....


Are YOU familiar with My Pink Dreams??

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh! New (to me) wax vendor! Those scents all sound really good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, just me back to trying random unheard of vendors. Spreadin' some love. :)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Never heard of this vendor either. Excited for your reviews after you melt them! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to browse Etsy and try the vendors I've never heard of before. That next uber-popular shop might be lurking out there somewhere, waiting to be discovered!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. Never mind, I was a bit behind writing comments for everyone and saw your first post before this one! Chai tea sounds really nice, as well as Green Apple Explosion...that's a great scent. Looking forward to all your reviews.

    Love the Hello Kitty paper, but would wonder about scent absorption, too...I think you're okay though since they were only in transit a few days...did you remove it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hello Kitty part was actually tape, so I'm guessing it was to keep the lids on the cups. Yep, I took it all off because I needed to get to the actual tarts ... not because I was worried about the scents absorbing. (I don't worry about that, like I don't worry about curing.)

      I'm saving the Chai and apple scents until I am done with all the others. Save the best for last!

      ~Deb

      Delete