Monday, June 10, 2013

Melted - Yankee Candle / Tea & Honey

While I've given up on Yankee's tarts because I get no scent from them, I'm still willing to give their votives a chance.  I've heard a lot of people melt them as tarts.  So when hubby wanted to stop there as an anniversary treat to ourselves, it was mainly votives that we got.  Tea & Honey is one of them that I picked out.  I can never smell these things through the wrapper so I didn't bother with a cold sniff.  Once melted, this was a very nice scent, very much like Lemon Iced Tea.  There was something soothing about.  I think the almost floral notes of the honey are what made my mind think there was lemon, and that mixed about equally with the tea note.  It was sweet but not overly so like candy or something.

Since a a votive is just shy of 2 oz., I cut this in half and melted just one of the chunks in my tea light warmer.  The scent was medium in the area of the warmer.  It's a very natural, pleasant scent ... not like something heavily perfuming the air.  The throw was weak.  I could detect light traces of it in the next room but probably only because I knew something was melting and I was checking for it.

While melting this votive as a tart gave better results than Yankee's actual tarts, I was still a bit disappointed by the strength and throw.  I'm not against buying more votives when they have their $1 sales.  I think in the fall maybe we'll go back get some in the fall and holiday scents.  As for this particular scent, Tea & Honey, yes, I would buy it again.

6 comments:

  1. I am interested in seeing how the rest turn out too. I bought some on clearance at Party City and so far the Buttercream did not have much scent even melting the whole one. I thought it might be because it was old? The tea and honey sounds like a very nice and delicate background scent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also wondered if they are just old. I mean, we are getting them from an outlet store and they do often look like they've seen better days.

      I melted the other half of the one I'd cut, and that one was noticeably stronger. Maybe if I'd just melted the whole thing at once it would have been better.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. A dollar for nearly 2 ounces, that's a good deal. I also love that it is readily available. A friend of mine gave me a pumpkin votive a few years ago and I placed it in my drawer for the fall. It was so strong, especially for still being wrapped. I could smell it when I walked by the drawer. I never even burnt it, it was that strong cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, just the mention of pumpkin has me looking forward to fall/holiday scents again. Mmmmmm.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but again, sucks that it was so weak! Sometimes I feel like...why does Yankee even try anymore!? They just can't compete with online vendors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever been really wowed by Yankee. Early on I thought I was a freak, that I was missing something because everyone *LOVES* Yankee. Then I started to see the people complaining and I was relieved. LOL!

      I think for people who aren't familiar with the handcrafted vendors online, they love Yankee like they love Scentsy ... because they don't *know* there is more to offer.

      ~Deb

      Delete