Monday, June 10, 2013

Watched - Identity Thief

Identity Thief
2013
Rated R


From IMDB.com - 'Mild-mannered businessman Sandy Patterson travels from Denver to Miami to confront the deceptively harmless-looking woman who has been living it up after stealing Sandy's identity.'

Hubby and I watched this recently and loved it.  I never really liked Jason Bateman when he was young, thought he was a pretty boy child actor, but time and time again I find I like him in the adult roles I've seen.  And Melissa McCarthy just cracks me up.  So yeah, I was pretty sure I'd enjoy this movie.

Jason's character's name is Sandy.  Because it's a unisex name, Melissa's character was able to steal his identity even though he's a man.  And there are all kinds of jokes and jabs about his name throughout the movie.  When he finds out his identity has been stolen he's confused and angry that the police can't do anything.  (The police in the city she's committing the crimes have to be the ones to catch her, or something like that.)  Sandy figures out where she is and how he can catch her, and plans to haul her back to his city and set it up so the police will be able to catch her red-handed.  So the bulk of the movie becomes the crazy adventure of him trying to get her from Florida to Colorado.  And to add to it, there is someone else after her too.

Ohhhh my gosh, there are tons of hysterical moments in this movie.  There is a scene where they have stopped at a restaurant for a bite to eat but have very little money.  Sandy says they need to order the cheapest thing but of course when the waitress comes, FakeSandy starts ordering a full meal.  When Sandy snaps at her that he told her she couldn't have food, the waitress takes it as him being an ass of a husband punishing his wife for being overweight.  And FakeSandy just plays that out to the max.  I was laughing soooo freakin' hard I could barely breathe.

There is another scene later when FakeSandy gets hit by a car and is knocked out for a moment.  When she wakes up, her automatic reaction (throughout the movie) is to punch the other person in the throat, and this is what she does to Sandy who is checking to see if she's ok.  They don't have time to waste so they're trying to get back up and continue running away from the danger.  Sandy is whining that she needs to slow down because he's been punched in the throat and can't breathe.  She snaps at him "Well, I was HIT BY A CAR!  Did you see THAT?" and keeps running.  LOL!!!

There are heartwarming moments too, and a warm fuzzy ending that had me in tears.  I'd wondered all along how it would be wrapped up but hadn't ever thought of what happened.  Then again, I'm a sap and a sucker and cry at the drop of a hat. 

But yes, loved this movie and will have to buy it on DVD.

Have you seen it?  What did you think?

4 comments:

  1. I liked it! I'm a fan of both of them and loved them together. I liked the ending a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to Melissa McCarthy's new movie with Sandra Bullock. Can't remember the name offhand but it looks quite funny.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see this one! Melissa McCarthy is funny, Josh doesn't like her, lol. Wanted to see this in the theater but he refused. Sure sounds funny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you watch it eventually!

      ~Deb

      Delete