Friday, July 12, 2013

Soap Stuff - July 12

When you're a cold process soap maker you always have to think a couple months ahead because of the required cure time.  I recently ordered some fragrance oils in the scents I want for this fall and winter, and yesterday I made one batch.  I'd been planning on making several, but since I only casually make soap every once in a while now, I'd forgotten I was low on some supplies.  So yeah, only had enough for one yesterday.

These super cute pumpkin and leaves are in the scent Autumn Sunset, which is apparently a Scentsy dupe.  It's described on the oil supplier's site as 'Apples, pumpkins, fall leaves and warm spices. This is our interpretation of the scent made famous by Scentsy.'  This is SUCH an awesome scent for fall.  I would even consider placing a Scentsy order to get some of this in wax!

I usually just pour my soap into my plain ol' wooden molds and slice into plain ol' bars.  Since tiptoeing back into soap making after my year long hiatus, I've been more willing and wanting to play around with the cutesy silicone molds that had always angered me before.  I used to have tons of different molds but sold them all when I went out of business.  Kicking myself now!  (That one little Jack-o-lantern was the leftovers after filling the main mold, that's why he doesn't match.)

The other scents I will be making are . . .
  • Frosted Pumpkin - 'This is our interpretation of the Yankee Candle scent.  Notes of creamy pumpkin with ginger and nutmeg blend with vanilla frosting, maple sugar and a hint of citrusy lemon.'
  • Cranberry Chutney - 'Yankee candle duplicate. Scent of sweet cranberry chutney with hints of vanilla and spice.'  I prefer the Cranberry Spice scent that I used to make over this one, but this is still good.
  • Glistening Snow - 'This is our version of Glade's Glistening Snow fragrance. Fresh snow covered bayberries with undertones of cinnamon, clove and peppermint!'  Love this!  Since I just posted about Glade now coming out with wax melts, I hope they have this one when winter scents roll out.
  • Christmas Wishes - 'Warm vanilla sugar cookies, covered in sugary sprinkles, blended with notes of fresh balsam and a kiss of fresh lemon.'
  • Christmas Bliss - 'Balsam and pine blended with kisses of warm Christmas spices, holiday flowers and greenery.'  
The Christmas ones will all be regular bars because I don't have any Christmas molds and they won't be out in stores until after I need to have these made.  Bummer.

THESE molds, however, do not work.  My mother-in-law had gotten these Jello molds that you always see in the grocery stores.  She thought they'd make cute soaps because they are football themed . . .
. . . but no, this type does not work.  It is too stiff, you can't get the soaps out of the cavities . . .
I even tried prying them out with a knife but it only destroyed the soap's shape and still didn't get the soap out.  MAYBE if I'd sprayed the molds with Pam or some type of cooking spray, maybe then they'd have come out.  (Yep, I tried freezing them too.)  Oh well, it was more of a test to see how they'd work and now we know they won't.  Luckily it was only a half batch of plain goat milk soap.

I have several other 'everyday' scents waiting to be made too, but those will wait until after I get these holiday ones made.  Sometimes I miss having my Etsy shop. 

And then I remember how chaotic my life was in those days . . . LOL



10 comments:

  1. Cute! Love the little jack o lantern :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Deb, I wish you would sell these again! I love your fall scent descriptions and the fact that you use goat's milk for your soaps.
    If you ever open up that shop, please let us know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt I'll ever open the shop again but I have mentioned before that if anyone wants to try my soap, just let me know.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. Adorable!!! I would love to try those fall and winter scents, they are awesome in wax and candles so I'm sure they'd be fabulous in soap. LOVE the molds! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure when I'll get the rest made because we're having our first real heatwave of the summer right now. I'd like to wait until the Christmas molds are in stores but that's really pushing it with the cure time if I wait that long. (Could just order some molds online, I know...)

      We'll see!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. I love those cute soaps! Christmas Bliss sounds divine and I wish you had your Etsy so I could buy it! Hope some Christmas molds come out soon for you. Now-a-days Christmas stuff usually pops up just before Halloween in my neck of the woods. How long does the cure time take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four week minimum cure time for cold process soap.

      I could order some molds online, but I might just make them into plain bars and be done with it. Not sure yet.

      If you really want to try one, email me. We don't need the Etsy shop to work something out. :)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Kitchen smells awesome with the blend of scents coming from these babies. :)

      (My curing rack is in the far corner of my kitchen, for those who don't know.)

      ~Deb

      Delete