Thursday, August 8, 2013

Haul - Daphne's Divine Scents

Daphne's Divine Scents & Aromas (Etsy shop) is a new to me vendor that I've been seeing pop up more and more in the wax community.  It's also one of those shops that runs on an open for a day/closed for weeks type schedule that I find annoying.  The shop was restocked on Saturday, August 3, and that happened to be my day off so I couldn't help but have a look.  I was torn between wanting to buy all the fall scents, and leave without looking at any more than an initial glance had shown me.  Luckily, hubby was anxious to get going on some running around we needed to do so I shut down the computer and we left.  Silly me, as soon as we got back home I found myself rushing to check this shop again because I'd been told it usually sells out within hours.  Well it wasn't quite sold out yet but about 95% of it was gone.  And even sillier of me, considering I hadn't even really intended to order, I grabbed the last pack of 'fall' scented anything I saw.  Doh!

I ordered on Saturday afternoon and received my package on Wednesday, so turn around time is great.  I like that!  I also received a generous freebie packaged of three tarts, so that was great too.  Shipping was very reasonable, not some overpriced flat rate that a lot of vendors use these days.  On initial cold sniff, these smell pretty strong.

So what did I get?!

Sweet Potato & Brown Sugar - There is no scent description available but I guess it's pretty self explanatory.  I guess this isn't necessarily a 'fall' scent either, but in a way it is.  It's orange and in pumpkin shapes, so it is!  (lol)  A 6-pack of these cute little glittery pumpkins cost $3.75 in the Etsy shop.  Each pumpkin weighs .7 oz., which is enough to just melt one at a time.  On cold sniff, hubby loves this one.  I thought I loved it at first but there is that sort of harsh or bitter note that I find sometimes in tarts.  Aside from that, this scent is deep and rich, warm, with a touch of sweetness.  It is very much a cold day, something's cooking in the kitchen type foodie scent.  Hopefully that odd note goes away when melted.

Cherry ZB Crumble - I had to laugh when I saw this.  First, I was thrilled to receive such a generous freebie . . . there are three of these .7 oz. tarts in the package.  When I saw this was Cherry Crumble scent I was even more thrilled because I have been wondering why you just don't see cherry pie or cherry crisp type scents more, and now here is Cherry Crumble.  Then I noticed the 'ZB' and my first thought was 'Zombie?'  LOL!  Then it hit me.  Zucchini Bread.  Bleeeeahhhhh!  You probably know by now that I hate zucchini bread scents.  Still, I opened the package and sniffed.  A delicious cherry scent hit my nose first and I was thinking 'ah, good, the zucchini bread is light.'  Hubby sniffed and didn't like it at all.

"There's a weird scent in there," said hubby, with an 'eeuw' type face.
"That would be the zucchini bread," I sighed.

And as I had these out just now to take the pictures, yeah, that zucchini bread scent has overpowered the cherry in a very strong and unpleasant way.  I think it was Lauren (Lololovesscents blog) who describes zucchini bread scents as smelling like corn chips.  In this case, I totally agree.  I will probably give these away.  Keep in mind, it's no fault of the vendor, it's just a scent I can't stand.

While I'm not totally thrilled with either scent, it was a pleasant enough first experience with Daphne's Divine Scents & Aromas.  The shop will not be restocked until August 31.  I might pop in and have a look around that day, see if anything else grabs my attention.  I'll have to melt one of my little Sweet Potato pumpkins before then to be sure they're strong enough.

Have YOU tried Daphne's Divine Scents & Aromas?  Any favorites you've discovered?

6 comments:

  1. I got my first Daphne then too! I only picked up pumpkin bread and a clamshell of caramel apple leaves. The clamshell smells divine, truely. Not sure about the pumpkin bread, it might be zucchini bread. I hope your sweet potaoes loose the bitter note for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh, when I first glanced at the shop I saw the Caramel Apple Leaves and considered grabbing it.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I so want to try this vendor! Looking forward to your melt review. I think this vendor is next on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I should melt one just to see how it is, or if I should hold off till closer to fall. I probably should do it sooner rather than later so I know if I want to order next time she restocks. Problem solved. I'll melt one. LOL!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. uuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh zucchini bread!! But the cherry crumble part sounds nice!! Glad you got to try this vendor, I have had pretty good luck with her stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if I could scrape that zuccrappi bread scent out of the mix it would awesome!

      ~Deb

      Delete