Saturday, August 31, 2013

Haul - Glade Goodies

I got a couple of Glade goodies in the past week, and thought I'd share.  My sister gave me this candle in Fall Hayride scent last weekend at her baby shower.  And I finally caved and bought myself an electric warmer.  You're probably noticing that box is empty.  It is!  That's because the warmer is already in use and I didn't want to pack it back into the box for one picture.

 Fall Hayride - 'Orchard fruits, chrysanthemum, spice and maple sugar scents embrace you with warm, woody nuances, recreating the sensation of crisp autumn air.'

Of the four scents in Glade's 2013 fall lineup, this would probably be the one I'm least likely to pick.  Grassy, woody, outdoorsy scents usually aren't my thing.  However, since my sister got this for me, I am willing to give it a try.  My very first thought when I sniffed this was 'Eh, grass.'  But after having it sit here on my desk for a while, and sniffing it every now and then, I can smell other things.  There is a slight floral note, a slight juicy fruity note, and when you really stop and let it sink in, you really do get just a touch of spice.  Or course there is still the grassy, woody (think resin or sawdust) note overall, but it's much nicer than that.  I'm looking forward to burning this now.

This will probably be the only one of the Glade line that I get this fall.  I've liked other pumpkin and apple scents more than the Glade melts, and I remember now that we had problems with performance from the Glade candles last winter.  If I do get any fall scent candles, I'll probably go with the Febreze ones.

This silly Glade warmer has taken the wax community by storm.  I've used tea light warmers since I first started melting tarts many years ago.  The biggest reason I haven't switched to electric is space vs. outlets.  Where I usually melt tarts is here on my computer desk.  My tea light warmers are small and can easily sit in the corner on the top shelf, the corner that is closest to the center of the room, which then allows the most air flow and scent throw.  To put an electric warmer up there wouldn't work because the outlets are all too far away, down by the floor, underneath the desk.  Not to mention the outlets are all full with computer cords.  There just isn't any other convenient spot to put a corded warmer. 

Well, with my recent weirdness in a string of seemingly scentless tarts from a vendor that's always been reliable before, I started wondering if I should try an electric warmer.  Of course the Glade warmer came to mind.  Everyone is raving about this thing because apparently it's a 20watt warmer, and most other hot plate styles are either 18 or 24 watts.  People say the 24 is too hot and burns the scents away too strong and fast.  Some people say the 18 is too weak.  People also like to say the tea light warmers get too hot.  I tend to disregard 99% of what the so-called gurus preach because it's all based on personal opinion.  (Now that I have my own electric warmer, I've already started doing some experiments.  Stay tuned . . . )

When I got my new warmer home yesterday, I still had no idea where I could put it.  Just for the sake of trying it, I decided to go ahead and put it in the same spot my tea light warmer sits.  The cord on this Glade warmer is quite short, which was another worry for me.  In the end, I ran the cord between the speaker and stereo that also sit on that end of the upper shelf, and had just enough cord to reach an extension cord that we had run as a temporary fix for something else.  The on/off switch ended up hanging in the space between the wall and the back of the desk, but there is just enough room to get my hand in there and be able to switch it.  This set up also keeps the cord out of Minion's reach.  (He likes to pull things from the shelves of this desk, but has never bothered my tea light warmers.)

I'm not ready to admit this warmer is a miracle worker, but after a string of seemingly dud tarts from one particular vendor, the two I've melted in this have been wonderful.  It *could* be the warmer, but explain to me then why my tea light warmers never had a problem with this vendor's products before?  As mentioned, I'm going to be doing some experimenting to see if I can find out what's going on.

But anyway, I *am* enjoying this warmer.  I had one tart going all day yesterday, which was interesting.  With a tea light warmer it takes about four hours for the candle to burn itself out, and then I usually don't remelt the tarts . . . just move on to a new one.  So to have one tart, one scent going all day without interruption was kinda nice.  On the other hand, it's going to take me forever to get through my tarts this way.  LOL!  I'll have to keep my stash even smaller now!

So, just wanted to share my couple of goodies.  What type of warmer do you prefer?  Have you always used that type?  What made you switch?  Some of the light bulb style warmers are freakin' cute, but I hear those can be the weakest of all.  Guess I won't know until I try one, huh?

12 comments:

  1. Get OUT! Deb is officially using electricity to aid in melting wax. Now, if you decide this warmer is "all that", no other opinions or reviews will be necessary. The Glade met it's match entering your home, I hope it's still putting up a worthy battle ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I feel bad for my tea light warmers now! They're sitting up there on the shelf, just looking down at me and asking "Why, Mom? Whyyyyyyy?"

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. This made me laugh! So glad you are semi enjoying it so far! I can't wait to hear your experiment results!

      Delete
    3. Well, I switched back to my tea light warmer this morning just to see . . .

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Well, thanks a lot :) I just recently got my first electric tart warmer (24 watt) because I'm trying so many different tart suppliers and getting various results that I thought I better go with the standard. I've used it for about 2 weeks and have to say it is much less fuss than the tea light burners.

    I now understand why wax is so addicting because...after using it with various tarts I realize it is great for some but a few need a slightly lower wattage (anything peppermint is so strong I have to open the windows). I've been searching for a 20 watt burner that wasn't incredibly ugly or expensive and now you tell me this one is 20 watts. I just ordered one.

    I must also confess that I ordered a beautiful ceramic hand made light bulb warmer from Etsy last night, too. It's an illness I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how many gorgeous light bulb warmers I've had to pass on because I wasn't using electric ones. This might be bad for me now if I decide to stick with electric! Just today hubby and I were eyeing up some really cute fall designed ones at Walmart.

      Handmade warmers on Etsy, huh? I've never looked for warmers there. I love Etsy! I'm off to browse now!

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. I love Etsy too. So many talented people making wonderful products. I think the light bulb warmers are going to work with the super strong scents that are soy based. The Bathing Garden comes to mind.

      Personally, I haven't found a great design in a hot plate warmer. They are functional but all of the really cute designs that I like are either light bulb or tea light. This never really mattered to me until I started getting all these cute tart packages in the mail :)

      Delete
    3. Browsing Etsy last night and again this morning, I might be placing an order for whipped soaps and sugar scrubs that before last night I didn't know I needed. LOL!!!!!

      As for the warmers, this morning's experiments are proving interesting . . .

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I recalled this post from a few years back and decided to conduct the same experiment since all of my Mainstays warmers are the 24 Watters. I found the blue Glade warmer you have on the Walgreen's website for under $10, so I had it shipped to my local store. I picked it up yesterday and it was white, smaller and the bottom said max 13W. I'm not sure if the 20W style above is on its way out or if it was just a mistake. I looked at the Glade website and only see the same model you have. I am a little disappointed but there are a couple vendors wax that usually too strong for me, maybe I will be better off for using that up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the style in this post is still out there. I still see them at my Walmart and Target. I've also seen the smaller one that you must have gotten. I haven't paid much attention to wax stuff lately so I didn't realize it was a weaker one. My son just bought one for his new apartment. Is it a hot plate one, or a light bulb one? I didn't even look. Hmmm.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. I put it to the test with a paraffin CFTKR tart. I thought maybe it would be too large to melt the entire thing but it did melt it eventually. This will work out better for me in the end with most tarts.

      Delete
    3. Well that good that it's working for you! =)

      ~Deb

      Delete