Sunday, August 4, 2013

Read - Echo

Echo
by Alyson Noel
2012
340 pages

She inherited a magical destiny—and a mission to stop a powerful family of dark sorcerers. She never expected to fall in love with one of them.

There’s still so much Daire Santos has to learn about being the last Soul Seeker….and about herself. As her magical training becomes more intense, so does her relationship with Dace. But when she learns that his connection to the evil Richter family goes far deeper than she ever imagined, she begins to question if love really can conquer all.

Dace is painfully aware that he wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for the Richters’ dark magic—and now his brother Cade is determined to use his love for Daire against him. Dace is willing to sacrifice anything to protect the girl he loves —including his own life. But will Daire allow it? And what if defeating Cade costs not only his life, but his soul too?


*** MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***

Let me just say, this book is BEAUTIFUL.  Oh my gosh, I loved just looking at the cover whenever it was sitting near me.  The picture doesn't show it but some parts of the cover have a sort of shiny look to them.  Inside, the first page of each chapter had snowflakes, and the the pages that marked the sort of 'sections' of the book were gray and white with snowflakes.  Just a very cool looking, pretty book.

Having said that, I did not like this book nearly as much as the first one in this series.  I still liked it, but it paled by comparison.  Now that Daire and Dace are a couple, the cheesiness of typical YA romance started to show.  Of course their love is a sort of forbidden love, but the reasons why (a prophecy, a connection between twins) was something I just did not want to read about yet again.  And falling back on that good ol' theory of 'I can't be with you because it's the only way to save you!' is one of my least favorite tactics ever.

The pace of this second book was still pretty quick, but when I think back about what all happened it seems like not much of anything happened.  Several things DID happen but they just seemed sort of uneventful.  Maybe it was because, while the first book was only from Daire's perspective, this book alternates between Daire and Dace.  Maybe this caused things to move along without allowing us the deeper attachment we felt before?

It seemed like magic was learned too easily this time around.  Both Daire and Dace were racing to get more training and master certain things because they know they must defeat Dace's evil twin Cade.  Daire has mastered all of the elements now, and Dace has been taught a top secret, very dangerous, ultimate last resort type of magic . . . seemingly in a matter of hours.  I guess this book sort of seems like it's just setting things up for bigger things to come.

The end caught me off guard.  I thought I'd known how it was going to turn out because of something I'd glimpsed about the next book, but nope!  Even though I thought most of the book was just sort of average and blah, something in those ending events absolutely has me wanting to dive into the next book now!  (Luckily I have that next book right here!  lol)

So, not as good as the first, but I'm still looking forward to seeing where this whole story goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment