Saturday, September 28, 2013

Haul - Back Home Scents / Tarts

 Back Home Scents is an Etsy shop I've had marked for a while, but am only now just ordering from.  I like to browse Etsy for new (to me) shops, and I like venturing off the beaten path of vendors that are considered 'acceptable' by a certain internet crowd.  So yeah, it was time to finally try this shop out.

I only placed a small order, as I do when first trying a new vendor.  Back Home Scents has single scallop tarts for $1.15, 3-packs (same scent) for $3.33, 8-packs (same scent) for $8.00, and clamshells for $3.00.  I ordered five single tarts so I could try a few different scents.  They are the typical 1 oz. size.

There is slightly conflicting information about shipping costs in the shop's info.  One spot says a flat rate of $7.95 but overages of a dollar or more are refunded.  A different section says shipping is a flat rate $6.95.  I went into thinking that with my tiny order I'd get the partial refund.  I don't remember getting one so the $6.95 must be the current rule, and I'm a little bummed about that.  On the other hand, the turn-around time was super fast.  I placed my order on a Friday morning and had my shipping notice on Saturday morning.  The package itself ended up going to Florida before finding it's way back to Wisconsin (no fault of the vendor) and I eventually received it on Thursday, which was still less than a week since ordering.  Love that!

So what did I get???

Chai Tea - 'Traditional chai tea is made with black tea leaves steeped with spices like whole peppercorn, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and cloves.'

This doesn't have any kind of creamy note like a chai latte would and I should have thought of that when I ordered.  This is just straight tea and spice notes.  It's still nice though.

Vanilla Noel - 'A sweet, creamy buttercream and fluffy white marshmallows with hints of crisp cookies, crushed vanilla beans and a light kiss of musk. This is not a BBW duplication but I would say a close cousin to their popular Vanilla Bean Noel.'

I'm not familiar enough with the B&BW scent to know how close this is, but I can say it's very sweet, almost caramel-y, and the hint of musk makes itself known.

Sugar Plum - 'A juicy, sugary plum with mulled notes of fig, apricot and cherry with spicy hints of cinnamon, clove and a touch of sugary vanilla. 

I wanted to start getting some Christmas scents since I am well stocked with fall scents at this point.  This is candy-sweet with just enough hint of spice to warm it up a smidge.  I don't know that it reminds me of Christmas in particular but it is a nice scent.

Twisted Peppermint - 'A different twist on candy cane! Sweet peppermint candies twisted with sugary vanilla & cotton candy!' 

Again, not sure how close this is to the popular B&BW version, but wow, I do love this!  The mint is the main note but is softened a bit by the vanilla and sweetened by the cotton candy (although I don't detect any cotton candy specifically).  Love this!

Candy Cane - 'Sweet sugary candy with vanilla and peppermint. This isn't a straight peppermint. Just like a real candy cane, sweet and yummy!'

Gotta have candy cane scent for Christmas!  This is much mintier than the Twisted Peppermint, but still not quite a full, sharp peppermint.  Very nice, but I'll have to melt it when hubby's at work because he doesn't like mint.  What's wrong with him?!

Witch's Brew - 'A bewitching combination of sweet dark spices tossed generously with clove and lots of earthy dark patchouli. Add to the pot a pinch of cedarwood, cinnamon and sweet violets.

This was a freebie in my order.  This one might get passed on to someone else because it's just not my thing.  I'm not a patchouli fan or a wood fan, and the cedar is quite strong in this.  But I do love when vendors add a freebie or a sample to orders.  Thank you, Rhonda!!

And that is my little first-timer order.  I'm quite impressed so far.  Everything is so clean and well presented.  The scents on cold sniff are very strong, so I'm feeling good that the warm scent and throw will be decent.  The scent list at Back Home Scents is not overwhelmingly long but there are quite a few, certainly enough to find plenty of goodies to try.  If these smell strong enough when I melt them, I can easily see myself ordering again.

Have YOU tried Back Home Scents?

2 comments:

  1. Hubby doesn't like mint?! What's wrong with him!?

    Lovely scent choices, but they shoulda refunded your shipping for so few tarts! I like their simple presentation, it's nice. Can't wait to hear your thoughts! I found myself on their etsy site the other day thanks to you!... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys aren't fond of mint either. Freakin' men.

      I understand why vendors do flat rate shipping but it really is not fair to the obviously tiny orders. Flat rate shipping has kept me from ordering from trying several vendors. If I only want two or three tarts as an initial order, I'm not about to pay $6, $7, $8 shipping for that!

      ~Deb

      Delete