Thursday, October 24, 2013

Read - Endless

Endless
by Jessica Shirvington
2013
466 pages

LOVE WILL KILL US ALL

Violet Eden thought she was getting things under control. Then all hell breaks loose—literally. In the war between angels and exiles, she's about to face the biggest baddie of all time. Except she's not nearly ready.

The dark exile Phoenix is still messing with her head—not to mention her heart. And her undeniable attraction to Lincoln has gotten downright dangerous. When Hell unleashes its worst, Violet must embrace every facet of her angel self to save the people she cares about and the world as she knows it. But death is not the worst thing she will face...


*** MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***

This is the fourth book in Jessica Shirvington's Embrace angels series.  When I read Embrace I thought I'd found my new favorite series but each book since has left me a bit more disappointed.  And this one does it again.  I think the problem is the increasingly complicated storylines.  You know me, liking things simple.  But this one got so busy and complex that I'll need to read it again to fully understand what just happened.

I did still like the book.  It started out with great potential.  I was glad to be seeing the old hot guy Lincoln instead of the whiny drama queen he'd been becoming.  I was glad to see Phoenix back and super glad to be delving into the emotions he and Violet still share.  I was happy to see that Violet and Lincoln were no longer employing the 'We need to stay away from each and pretend we're not soul mates' strategy any longer because I just hate when authors choose that path.

But then it all fell apart for me when they decided their best plan was to sacrifice Violet in order to save the lives of a bunch of children.  NONE of that plan worked for me or made much sense.  So if Lilith is back and is the ultimate in power and evil, and if Violet is the seemingly Chosen One, the only one strong enough to finish her off and send her back to the pits of hell, why why WHY would it make any sense to give her up in exchange for the lives of some children?  Ok, it's horrible to say 'Let the kids die!' but in the bigger picture, even if they save 50 of 100 kids and Violet dies, their one and only weapon to bring Lilith down is now gone.  What's to stop her from killing 50 more kids?  Or a thousand kids?  It just didn't make any sense to me.

And then all the other little twists and shockers just seemed to complicate things even more.  I think most of what happened after the kids could have still been done without any of those 'sacrifice for the kids' scenes.  There had to be a better way to go about the big battle in this book.  Having said that, there were still some parts that I liked in that complicated mess . . . Violet realizing "I died!" and what else that meant, Violet crawling in bed with Lincoln and laying silently with him all day, the interactions with Phoenix during the scenes in question.

The ending had me so mad.  As mentioned earlier, the staying away from the one you love tactic just doesn't work.  Does anyone actually like when authors use that?  Still, I'm looking forward to the next book because I always hold onto some hope that it will get better in the end.  I wonder if the next book is the last book?  I'd thought all along that this fourth one was the finale.  I hope she hasn't decided to drag out the story with increasingly complicated plot twists because I don't know how much longer I could keep going if that were the case. 

Someday when this series is complete I will read these books again, back to back, and see if everything falls into place more easily.  Until then, still hoping the next one is better.


No comments:

Post a Comment