Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Haul - Bertie's Umbrella / Tarts


I'd never even heard of Bertie's Umbrella before blog reader Tanja mentioned it in a comment left on one of my posts.  Since it is an Etsy shop, of course I had to check it out.  I had not been looking to order anything but something sucked me in and yes, I did place a small order.  I'm not usually a fan of multi-pack tarts, especially when first trying a new shop, but after some Etsy conversation with owner Phoebe, and seeing some nice 'safe' Christmas scents, I decided to just go for it.

Candy Cane Forest - 'The Candy Cane Forest is a majestic place, just South of the North Pole.
A delightful blend of peppermint candy canes, marshmallows and a hint of vanilla.
Infused with peppermint essential oil.
'
When I first noticed this one in the shop listings I thought there would be a hint of pine in the blend.  Nope, just peppermint, marshmallows, and vanilla, according to the description.  On cold sniff I'm mainly getting a strong peppermint scent, with an odd note of something in the background that might be from the marshmallow.  I'm really curious how this will be when warmed.  And it looks so yummy, like it's good enough to eat!

Christmas Cookies - 'A mouth watering combination of sweet buttery cookies with hints of ginger, fresh ground cinnamon, and sweet molasses, with just a pinch of vanilla and clove.'

This is the one that I could smell as soon as I opened the package, and the one that continues to scent the area as I have these sitting on my desk to do this post.  By the name, I figured it would just be a general sugar cookies scent, maybe with a touch of mint.  With things in the description like ginger and cinnamon and molasses, I wondered if it was supposed to be more like a gingerbread cookie, and decided I need to try it and find out.  This is yummy!  It is a gingerbread type smell and I'm totally ok with that!  On cold sniff, it's not overly spicy.  There is a familiar note, what some people might call sour, or like that note you get in cheesecake scents.  When I sniff it again to try and pinpoint it, sometimes I think it's just the molasses.  Whatever it is, I like this one.

Jack Frost - 'Icy cool mint and sweet vanilla mingle together with hints of winter pine.'

I *love* vanilla-mint scents and will almost always go for Jack Frost, even though I tend to forget there is pine in it.  Doh!  On cold sniff, I don't get any pine in this one.  I don't get a vanilla note either right now.  It's just a straight up candy cane minty scent at the moment but again, that's ok because it's still very Christmas-y.  Maybe the other notes will come out when warmed.

I also received a free tart in Chocolate Fudge scent, and a smaller 'sniffer sample' of Pumpkin Pie scent.  These weren't individually wrapped or labeled, and look a little dinged up so I didn't bother with a pic of them.  Love me some freebies though!  (Thank you, Phoebe!!)

These are soy wax tarts, about 1 oz. each.  A 4-pack sells for $4.00.  Turn around time was fabulous!  I placed my order Friday afternoon and had my package in Monday's mail!!  That is freakin' awesome in my book and definitely earns mega points in my book.  While the scent list is not nearly as huge as some of the big name vendors we're used to, there is enough variety that it should be easy for anyone to find something they like.  Most of the scents (in just a quick browse) look quite common, but that's ok too because with the reasonable price and the lightning fast TAT this is a good place to stock up on 'staples.'

Bertie's Umbrella also has a variety of candles and even some soaps.

I am happy with my first experience with this shop.  I will wait until after Thanksgiving Day to start melting these.  Heck, that's only a bit over a week away.  Scents on cold sniff are all quite strong so I'm hoping these are awesome performers when melted.

Have you ever tried Bertie's Umbrella?

12 comments:

  1. No haven't heard about this vendor. Definitely will check her out. So many vendors out there overwhelming sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is overwhelming. I like to try different Etsy shops, give someone unknown a chance. Sometimes it's a dud, but how do we know if we don't try, right?

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Cute vendor name!
    Ordered Friday, received on Monday? Crazy --is she in your state?

    There's something very appealing in the peppermint one's color combo --I'm loving the swirl of the white and red in that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not in my state. I'm in Wisconsin, and she's in Oregon. This is exactly why I have no tolerance of 2, 4, 6 month TATs . . . because there are plenty of others out there getting it done.

      Can't wait to try these and see how strong they are!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of her before. The labels are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention the labels in my post. Doh! They ARE cute!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. WOW, incredible TAT! I love that business card! Those tarts are really cute looking. Very cool labels, too. Unique name, I've never heard of this company!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb,

    I received my order from within one week (Belgium)! I allready tried: Candy Cane Forest, a nice sweet mint smell, but not something I want as a house perfume, I think I only like mint as candy. I didnt like the Jelly Donut melts. I also melted Autumn Sunset and that one I liked alot, it's a fruity fall scent and a little bit of spice. I normaly dont like spicy scents, but this whas really soft and not overpowering. Till now this is my only favorite fall scent, But I'm still new to this world of wax melts and still have to learn what I like. Alltough I allready reached my budget limit for wax melts, I still made an order at Front Porch, because all the nice reviews on your blog. I cant wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to start melting these! I melted the small disc of Pumpkin Pie scent today and was surprised how strong it was for the tiny amount I had. I don't want to start my Christmas scents until the Nov. 29 though.

      I *almost* made a Front Porch order the other day because several that I like were in stock.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  6. Yay new vendors! I am eyeballing that candy cane forest! I hope yiu have a grwat Thanksgiving Deb! I am loving the soaps. I gifted one to my mom for her birthday and she is enjoying it to. I am so excited for you to go to the Rosegirl's store! I wish I could apparate and tag along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you and your mom are liking the soaps. I was looking at my stuff yesterday and thinking I need to get busy and make more. I want to use of the fragrance oils I have on hand and then I think that hobby is going back into hibernation.

      I'll take you along to Rosegirls in my thoughts. =P

      ~Deb

      Delete