Sunday, November 10, 2013

Haul - Glade / Candles

We're not even to Thanksgiving yet, so I'm still melting fall scents like pumpkin and cranberry, but I had coupons so I went ahead and got the Glade winter candles.  These will be tucked away in our little candle cupboard for a couple more weeks.  I wanted to share them with you now though, in case you were wondering about them.

I already posted the actual scent descriptions and detailed notes taken from the Glade website in my other post about these, so in this post I will be a little more descriptive in what I think they actually smell like.

Pure Vanilla Joy - 'Treat your inner child with the uplifting scent of layered cake, vanilla bean and toasted marshmallows. Top with hints of whipped icing, crisp apples and spice for a fresh-baked fragrance you’re sure to love.'
  • vanilla bean, whipped icing, crisp apples
  • toasted marshmallow
  • layered cake, spice
I got a package of this scent back when Glade first came out with the wax melts. It's the same scent now, just repackaged with a festive look.  People have assumed this is just a boring vanilla scent.  I saw one girl in a YouTube video absolutely swearing that "If anyone tries to tell me this is anything but vanilla, they're on something."  Well, look at the description, people.  There is way more to this than you probably think.  It is a very 'safe' vanilla scent, but it's such a full bodied vanilla, deep and rich and creamy, with almost a sugar cookie type note about it.  This is a delicious, warm and cozy scent!


Sparkling Spruce - 'The crisp fragrance of fresh-cut pine needles, eucalyptus and fir join hints of lavender, cedar and fir for a scent as magical as a thousand twinkling lights.'
  • green pine needle
  • green pine needle, spruce, eucalyptus, lavender, cedar leaf, fir blossom
  • fir balsam, cypress, cedar, patchouli 
Ahh, you can't have Christmas without a pine scent.  Sometimes pine scents make me think of household cleaners and not Christmas trees, but this one gets it right. There is a hint of sweetness in this, and just a wee bit of eucalyptus poking through, but the bulk of the scent just screams 'Christmas tree!' to me, and I love that.


Ginger Bread Jingle'It’s that time of year again. Fill your home with the delicious scent of nutmeg, cinnamon and clove paired with hints of vanilla, maple and slowly roasting chestnuts.'

  • apple, pear, star anise
  • nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, muddled strawberry, acorn squash
  • roasted chestnut, vanilla milk, maplewood
(DOLLAR GENERAL EXCLUSIVE)
I already talked about this one a bit back when I stumbled across it at Dollar General.  It's so funny because back at that time I'd described it as a coffee-ish scent, and really, there is no coffee anything in it.  LOL!  It smells like a rich, sweet gingerbread.  There is not a lot of spice, just enough to warm it up, so spice haters have nothing to fear.  I think maybe I do get a very slight hint of fruit but if you didn't know, you'd probably never guess.  A yummy gingerbread scent!  (And keep in mind, if you're looking for this one, it is a Dollar General exclusive.)
  Frosted Berry Kiss - 'Holiday cheer is in the air as hints of cranberry and blackberry join notes of peppermint and pine. The warming scent of white cocoa is the perfect addition to the party, like the welcoming knock from a chorus of carolers.
  • aromatic pine, crisp greens, peppermint
  • cranberry, blackberry
  • white cocoa
I've seen this one described as cherry cough syrup. I can see how people might think that, but I think it's much more, much better than that. This is an interesting one, hard to pinpoint and describe. I get a mix of pine and mint, but they're both softer versions, not so sharp and in your face as both of those can often be. There is a slight fruitiness, where I think the 'Cough syrup!' haters are getting their 'cherry' from but when you know there is cranberry, you can pick it out. This is a nice scent, and it does make me think of Christmas, but it's also something I think could easily be used any time of year.

Merry Maple Morning - 'Revel in the comfort of a special holiday breakfast as notes of maple syrup, melted butter and vanilla join the scent of red berry jam for a fragrance sure to tickle your taste buds. Dig in!'
  • red berry jam, apple, melted butter, peach
  • cinnamon, coffee, maple syrup, french toast
  • creamy vanilla, caramel, powdered sugar, warm musks
(WALMART EXCLUSIVE)
This bugger is strong.  This is the one scenting up the area, wherever I have these candles stashed.  It's not really a Christmas scent, not even necessarily a winter scent, but it's such a warm and yummy foodie scent, right up my alley.  Definitely maple-y and buttery, with sweet creamy notes from the caramel and vanilla, and just a touch of a coffee note.  Looking at the description, and knowing there is musk, I can pick out faint traces of it if I really focus, but don't let the idea of musk scare you off.  I don't get any specific fruity note, but maybe just a hint of sweet and bright from them.  This is a great year-round scent for foodie scent loving types like myself.

I did not get the Apple Cinnamon Cheer candle because I keep hearing it's just the same apple-cinnamon scent they use in the fall (and all year?), and even if it's not, apple-cinnamon is a fall scent to me, not a winter/Christmas scent.

Also, I have not found the Sweet Holiday Treat (purple package) scent yet.  I'm guessing it's going to be the Target exclusive, but the two times I've checked there so far, they haven't even started getting their Christmas things out yet.  C'mon, Target!  If anyone sees this scent anywhere, please let me know!

Hubby and I really enjoyed the Glade fall scented candles we had.  All three we had required a bit of tending early on before an even burn was achieved, but they did correct themselves eventually, and we were impressed with the strength of the scent and throw.  That's why I went ahead and got all of the winter scents.  Well, *most* of the winter scents.

These are 4 oz. candles in heavy glass jars, and sell for $2.98 at Walmart.  They can be found in the 'cleaning aisle' and I've also seen large displays in main aisles.  You won't find these over in the regular candle/wax section.  They are strongly scented and affordable, and there are always coupons for these online, making them an even better deal.  I really do recommend these little guys!

*** Don't forget to enter my giveaway . . . HERE . . . for your chance to win four packs of the wax melt versions of some of these scents! ***

2 comments:

  1. You really can't beat $2.98! That pure vanilla joy really has me interested. Apple Cinnamon always seems to get recycled, but it's pretty good either way. Your descriptions for these are really awesome...I just need to drag my ass to Walmart and find these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll probably end up in most stores as more Christmas things come out. Just the maple one is a Walmart exclusive, the gingerbread a Dollar General exclusive, and the missing purple one is probably a Target exclusive.

      I'd actually like to stop at Dollar General again because a video I watched last night, the girl showed cute little 3-cube clamshell packs of tarts in holiday scents.

      ~Deb

      Delete