Monday, November 11, 2013

Melted - Candles From The Keeping Room / Pilgrims Pie

Pilgrims Pie - '. . . a scrumptious, highly complex accord beginning with top notes of pumpkin and lemon; with middle notes of champagne, grapes, nutmeg, and smoked cinnamon; and rounded out with base notes of vanilla, tea leaves, and hickory.' 

I don't know what happened.  In my cold sniff thoughts from my haul post, I liked this and said there was no weirdness from the hickory (among other things).  When I melted this though, I freakin' hated it.  I couldn't even let it go much more than an hour.  The smoked wood note, the hickory, was pretty much all I got.  You might already know that I'm not a fan of 'smoke' notes like in bonfire or fireside type scents, and I'm not a wood scent fan.  I'm also iffy on tea scents, so if anything was making it past the overpowering smoked hickory notes it was probably the tea leaves, and it was all just yuck for me.

I melted this entire 1.1 oz. tart in my tea light warmer and had great scent strength and throw, which was a relief since my previous tart from CFTKR was way too light.  Too bad I just couldn't stomach this particular scent.  I let it go for at least an hour, hoping other notes would come through, but in the end I just had to blow out the tea light and get rid of this one.  Bummer.

If you like the smoke-type scents, you might still like this one.  They are just not for me.

8 comments:

  1. I can't remember if you got this in your sampler? I hope so.

    It's odd that those strong wood notes didn't come through in cold sniff!
    This sounds perfect for a snowy day though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it was in the sampler. Did you order one?

      Sort of off topic but I saw this dvd at Walmart that apparently is just a fire burning in a decorated fireplace while Christmas music plays. At first I laughed, but then I thought it might be kinda cool for those who don't have a real fireplace, and for something to quietly on TV if you're hosting a Christmas gathering or something. LOL - I might have to get one! The smoky scented tart talk made me think of this.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Lol yeah I have to be picky about woodsy/smokey scents. They have to be sweetened up for me. Most of the time, they are not for me. But there are a few that I have loved!! So it's just luck of the draw!! And speaking of CFTKR, I tried a tart after deciding CFTKR was too light for me after trying a few out of a destash a year or so ago, and loved it!! I think there are just some that are strong and some that aren't. Or maybe the destash wasn't great quality. Have a great Monday Deb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would order from CFTKR way more if she offered single tarts. I'm feeling an urge to order from Front Porch again. I don't know what that has to do with anything but there you have it. lol

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I didn't care for this one, either. Definitely too woodsy and smokey, but in a different way than the ones I like. Too much hickory (ish) in wax is just that, too much! Nice review, even though you didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, just way to hickory smokey. It's like, where there even any other notes in there? =(

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. Sounds to me like the hickory smoked type meats. Melt this one with country festival from BHG (i think that was the one?) to fool ths neighbors that you are having a cook out :-) sorry it was bad but at least the throw was nice. I caved and picked up more midnight ambers from cftkr. I love it. Plus i had abstained enough lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LO-frikken-L on melting this and the meat tart together!!!! That is awesome. I wonder how it would be?

      I'm not familiar with Midnight Ambers....... Ok, just looked it up and the idea of any smokey/wood note scares me off, and then I saw patchouli listed and ran screaming. IS there a smokey note in there?

      ~Deb

      Delete