Thursday, November 14, 2013

Read - Star Cursed

Star Cursed: The Cahill Witch Chronicles (Book 2)
by Jessica Spotswood
2013
367 pages

'With the Brotherhood persecuting witches like never before, a divided Sisterhood desperately needs Cate to come into her Prophesied powers. And after Cate's friend Sachi is arrested for using magic, a war-thirsty Sister offers to help her find answers—if Cate is willing to endanger everyone she loves.

Cate doesn't want to be a weapon, and she doesn't want to involve her friends and Finn in the Sisterhood's schemes. But when Maura and Tess join the Sisterhood, Maura makes it clear that she'll do whatever it takes to lead the witches to victory. Even if it means sacrifices. Even if it means overthrowing Cate. Even if it means all-out war.

In the highly anticipated sequel to Born Wicked, the Cahill Witch Chronicles continue Cate, Maura and Tess's quest to find love, protect family, and explore their magic against all odds in an alternate history of New England.'


*** MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS ***

I really should have gone back and re-read the first book in this series, Born Wicked, before I read this one.  I loved that first book (review HERE) and was so anxious for this one, but so much time has passed that I forgot so much.  I think before the third book comes out next year I *will* make a point of going back and reading these first two again to keep the flow fresh in my mind.

Anyway, I was disappointed with this book.  It was a fairly quick and easy read but might be because it seemed like nothing happened.  This second installment of the series seemed like it could have just been a part of another larger story.  It was like everything that happened was just groundwork for what's to come.  Things that did happen seemed lacking and rushed.  I don't know, it just seemed . . . flat.

There is a war brewing between the Brotherhood and the Sisterhood.  Main character Cate and her beloved Finn are trying to keep their relationship going even though it puts both of them at risk because of their individual situations.  Tensions between Cate and her sister Maura continue to rise.  Battle lines are drawn.  Secrets are revealed.  But it all just seemed like 'Oh by the way . . . ' type information on our way to something bigger, something that never comes, at least not in this book.

Having said that, there were some interesting bits in this book.  The whole idea of 'Can we change our destiny?' is always fascinating to me.  When the oracle sees something disturbing and takes steps to change it, but it happens anyway, did she actually *create* the events to begin with?  Or is like in Lost (best show ever) when the old lady said the universe is course correcting and will always get to what is intended?  The other thing I liked . . . well, I didn't *like* it but, you know . . . was the end.  I did not see that act of betrayal coming!  Maybe I would have if I hadn't been bored by the story up to the point.  Who knows?  I'm really curious to see how that cliffhanger will be resolved!  It was quite shocking and sad, but again, seemed rushed and so much emptier than it should have been.

Still, I did not hate this book.  I'm very much looking forward to the next one because it seems, like I said, that this one was just laying groundwork for what's to come.  Fingers crossed the next one is more in depth!

No comments:

Post a Comment