Friday, November 8, 2013

Watched - Mama

Mama
2013
PG-13, 100 minutes

'Annabel and Lucas are faced with the challenge of raising his young nieces that were left alone in the forest for 5 years.... but how alone were they?'

I recently restarted our Netflix account and am now trying to catch up on movies I've wanted to see but missed.  Hubby watched this on pay-per-view one day while I was at work, so I used this opportunity to see it myself.  He'd said it freaked him out.  He hadn't warned me I'd be bawling by the end!

The movie starts with news on a radio that some people at some office have been shot and one man is missing.  We then hear a gunshot at the house the camera has been panning in on, and we see that the missing man and shooter is Nikolaj Coster-Waldau . . . aka Jamie Lannister from Game of Thrones.  WOOT!  Anyway, he takes his two small daughters and drives away frantically.  I don't think we ever do hear why he shot these people but in the overall story, it's not really important.  There is a car accident in the snowy hills and he ends up walking with his daughters through the woods until they come upon a seemingly abandoned cabin.  Through a series of events, the girls end up alone here.

Back home, the shooter's brother Lucas (also played by Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) has never given up hope of finding his brother and nieces.  One day the guys he's been paying to search for them come across the cabin . . . and the now feral girls.  Lucas wins custody of the girls, and their reintroduction into society begins, along with the freakiness.

Early on, once the girls are found, there is some freaky creepy visual stuff.  The girls look and act monstrous and possessed, and it's really . . . *shudders*  As they spend more time in a normal world, the older girl becomes more normal again because she was old enough when this all began to have retained things from her previously normal life.  The younger girl was only a baby, maybe a year old, and doesn't quite slip back to normal as easily.

I really liked Lucas in this, but never really warmed up to his girlfriend and reluctant 'stepmom' Annabel.  Victoria, the older girl, just broke my heart in this movie.  Younger girl Lilly did a couple times too but she's still somewhat freaky so you don't quite get as attached to her.  Victoria though, is struggling against what she's come to know from her years in the wild, and the normal world she knew and wants to allow herself to re-embrace.  At one point she decides not to sneak out with Lilly and visit 'Mama,' and both girls cry over this decision.  Lilly doesn't understand, and doesn't have the vocabulary or social skills, so she's hitting her sister and crying "Victoria!  Come!  Mama!" and Victoria has her back to her, taking the hits, and crying herself as she stands by her decision.  It was so heartbreaking!

There was plenty of weird and creepy stuff happening, and the whole story of who-what-why 'Mama' is was freaky, but there were so many touching and heart-breaking moments that I was surprised how much I cried in what I thought was just going to be a thriller!!!!

I'm not sure yet how I feel about the ending.  When it didn't end where I was sure it was going to, I shifted gears and thought 'Oh, ok, it will end with [no spoilers here],' and while I still wouldn't have been as happy with that, I think I would have liked it more than how it did finally end.  Although, when I stop and think about it all, maybe the way it ended IS the more powerful ending because some things were already lost to this world anyway.

There were a few things that weren't really explained to my satisfaction but I can be picky and anal about such things sometimes.  LOL!  This was a pretty good movie overall though, even though it was far from the simple scary flick I thought it would be.

Have you seen Mama?

6 comments:

  1. Ha! I saw Mama....my friend and I thought it was going to be really scary...but you are right, it was almost more like a drama than a horror movie. When it ended we were just like...uh, okay. It just seemed very anticlimactic and kind of a let down.

    Unrelated - I use Hulu to watch Dracula! You can get Hulu plus free for a week (which is what I'm doing right now) and then you can pay $7 a month or something (I don't have a DVR). I didn't like the first episode THAT much, but I had a little marathon and got into it more. I think The Originals drew me in a bit more because it definitely has more action (and a lot of attractive people) and is set in my favorite city, New Orleans.

    jess | Quaintrelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't use any streaming type thing to watch movies or shows because we live in the country and our internet is not good enough for such things.

      I want to like Dracula but the first episode was so bleah to me that I can't find the ambition to give any more episodes a try.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I'd never heard of this, but now I definitely want to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This movie has gotten into my head and now I want to get the dvd. It was on some movie channel the day after I watched my Netflixed version, and I stopped on it while flipping through channels. I had to watch a big chunk of it. hehe

      Let me know what you think if you ever do see it.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. "I recently restarted our Netflix account and am now trying to catch up on movies I've wanted to see but missed."

    YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!! :D This movie had some interesting points up until the end, which we didn't care for a bit. I think it's what you said, some things weren't explained to satisfaction. But the eerieness of it was pretty cool!

    Glad you have Netflix again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put off restarting Netflix because they'd changed it to where you needed the streaming package before you could get the dvd package. Then people started telling me no, they changed it back, but I could never find any way to restart it without the streaming. Well, just in puttering around one night, I was able to get it restarted with only the dvd package, so YAY! There have been some older movies and some TV shows I've been wanting to see, so now I can finally get going on watching them!

      As mentioned above, this movie has gotten into my head now. We were talking about it at work, and I want to own the dvd now. lol

      ~Deb

      Delete