Friday, November 15, 2013

Watched - The Possession

The Possession
2012
PG-13, 92 minutes

'A young girl buys an antique box at a yard sale, unaware that inside the collectible lives a malicious ancient spirit. The girl's father teams with his ex-wife to find a way to end the curse upon their child.'

I really liked this movie.  It had the creepy factor without the gore, although there were some moments that made me gag and cringe (like when she was eating raw meat).  The girl in here, the main character (played by Natasha Calis) was awesome.  And I loved the dad (played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan).  I loved the relationship he had with his daughters and ex-wife, even though it was strained.

This movie keeps a good pace.  I liked that.  There wasn't a lot of extra stuff to drag things out.  It wasn't a complicated, bizarre plot.  I suppose there are some things that weren't really explained but it didn't seem to matter in the end.  The story just sucks you in and keeps moving and then the movie is done.  Yes, it was left wide open for a sequel.  I hope that doesn't happen though.

One random little side note . . . I loved the character 'Tzadok,' the guy the was willing to try a sort of exorcism on the girl.  When I went to IMDB.com to see if I knew the actor from anything else, his name (Matisyahu) struck me as very familiar.  It took me several minutes to realize that my son Casey has a cd of his from many years ago.  I have noooooo idea how Casey ever became aware of him.

Anyway, a good movie if you want something scary without tons of gore and without fear of having nightmares for the next week.  (Although what they saw during the MRI was pretty freakin' creeeeepy!)

Have you seen The Possession?  What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. My daughter and I watched this one last week while Hubby was out of Town, She was so scared she stopped paying attention and played on her computer Whereas I finished it and thought it was good and I was still able to sleep that night too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did the MRI freak you out??? *shudders*

      That's funny about your daughter. I keep telling people to watch this, that it's rather tame, but people still keep 'Noooo, I don't want to be scared!' Oh well.

      ~Deb

      Delete