Monday, December 9, 2013

Watched - Before Midnight


Before Midnight
2013
Rated R, 109 minutes

'Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and Celine (Julie Delpy) first met in their twenties in BEFORE SUNRISE, reunited in their thirties in BEFORE SUNSET, and now, in BEFORE MIDNIGHT, they face the past, present and future, family, romance and love.'

After falling in the love with the first movie, and being disappointed with the second, this third one had been sitting here (from Netflix) for over a week before I finally watched it.  I was curious to see where the story has now taken these characters but I just wasn't holding out much hope that it could capture any of the feelings of the first movie.

As expected, this one failed for me too.  There are a couple differences in this one, such as several scenes with other characters, but then it does settle down to just Jesse and Celine walking and talking again.  This installment was sort of cheapened, I thought, by having Celine topless.  True, the boobs came out when the couple was about to have sex, but neither of the previous movies needed to go for the visual aids, and then it was just sort of pointless to have her sitting around, walking around, arguing and yelling . . . topless.

Celine has never been my favorite, and in this movie . . . wow . . . she's a psycho bitch.  Whether she's really supposed to be crazy or not, I'm not sure.  Her personality was all over the place but she was mainly me me me.  Her arguments were always about how she gave up everything for him and he's never there for her but he wants her to do everything for him.  I think she's freakin' nuts and don't know how or why he puts up with her.  He tried to argue that he gave up more than her by moving to Europe to be with her, giving up a life with his own son.  He tried to point out that she has continued to work all along, in the field she's always dreamed of working in, and that it's not his fault if she can't change the world through her job.  He tried to point out that his job is writing and sometimes he needs to be away just like sometimes she does.  He tried to tell her that if she put half the energy she puts into bitching and 'Poor little me' complaining and blaming, put that energy into being happy and looking at the good in her life, maybe things would be different.

Sometimes I got lost in their conversations and arguments.  I'd probably have to watch it again to be sure, but I think I was pretty much in Camp Jesse the whole time.  Celine was just SUCH a bitch.

The movie overall was very boring, but it did still have me in tears a couple times.  I'm hoping they don't make a fourth one.  Well, no.  Part of me would indeed like to see where this troubled relationship goes from here.  I'm hoping they are no longer together if there is a fourth one.  Hopefully Celine is miserable and can't see why she's alone.  Hopefully Jesse finds happiness, wherever he ends up . . . just not with her.


Ha, am I evil or what??

9 comments:

  1. I'm thinking this is the last one only because I'm not sure what else they could put after "Before", ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really was a huge bitch in this movie, but I like the way that it didn't sugarcoat problems that the pair had. I don't know, maybe I am jaded, but I liked the movie. It sort of worked for me, most of the time, romantic/romance/couple-y movies are just too unrealistic. Well, obviously people fight all the time in real life, so it's stupid for (most) movies to act like it doesn't happen. But yeah, she went psycho more often than she didn't. Agreed about the topless part, and I'm no prude...it just seemed disingenuous for some reason. I'd love to see another movie in 9 years to see where they end up, plus the kids will be older and will probably resent Celine...could be fun! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once again, this movie has gotten into my head even though I didn't think I liked it. I think maybe I would like to own all three. I still think the first one was the best.

      I didn't have a problem with them arguing. In a twisted way, I was glad to see them struggling because, yes, that's more real. I just got sick of her poor little me ranting. And her views and behavior are very real too, but wow, I wanted to scream at her. I was glad when Jesse did the whole 'Ohhhhh, you're the only one with problems,' bitching at her.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Just came across this on Amazon, a double-feature dvd with the first two. I want to rewatch the second one now because I don't remember much about it and just watched the last one. http://www.amazon.com/Before-Sunrise-Sunset-Ethan-Hawke/dp/B00CIOD6HK.
      The only reason I can come up with for turning Celine into a bitch is to show how things go awry when people in a relationship aren't open about things that are bothering them, like Jesse and the housework.

      Delete
    3. I got the first one for Christmas but we don't know that because it's not Christmas yet. I'm anxious to watch it again! Has to wait for Christmas though.......

      Yeah, she had a way of letting things build up. We saw that already in the second one when her admission of wondering how her life would have been with him caused her other relationships to fail came flying out in her rant.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I heard on my way home today the director and Ethan Hawke are coming out with another movie! He'll be playing another imperfect but likeable guy with family issues, filmed over a span of 12 years with the same child actor, which will be cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyhood_(film)

      Delete