Sunday, December 29, 2013

Watched - City of Bones

Mortal Instruments - City of Bones
2013
PG-13, 130 minutes

'When her mother disappears, Clary Fray learns that she descends from a line of warriors who protect our world from demons. She joins forces with others like her and heads into a dangerous alternate New York called Downworld.'

(Read my review of the book HERE.)

I've finally seen this movie since Santa brought it to me.  As I was reading the books in this series, I'd been so excited for the movie to come out but then as I saw more pictures and things about the movie version I became a little 'Bleah . . . ' about it and by the time it came out I'd pretty much lost interest in seeing it.

I admit I don't remember all the finer details about the book any more but wow, they really did change things for the movie.  Some of the things worked and I understand why they did it, like to speed up the story and explain some things earlier, but other things they did have left me wondering how far off the story from the books they're going to end up if they continue to make the series into movies.  Soooo many changes in the last quarter or so of the movie.  I was watching it like 'What the heck is all THIS?'  Hubby has not read the books but he seemed to enjoy the movie as it was.

Hodge planting the idea of lying in Valentine's head?

Hodge hanging around, and then trying to redeem himself?

Valentine beating the crap out Jace and Clary?  Ok, on that one I think maybe there was a scuffle in the book but it was mainly a very stressful sit down conversation at a conference room table, wasn't it???

Kicking Valentine through the portal and then having it explode into snow and ice?  Where was the glimpse of Idris?  How will that ever be worked in now?

The whole Simon and the vampires thing worked a little better in the movie version, I will give them credit for that.

I'd seen pics of the people playing the key characters a long time ago and had not been thrilled with anyone but Valentine, but I went ahead hoping that the way they actually played the characters might make up for my disappointment in how they looked.  Nope.  Well, Jace and Clary were ok.  I was surprised I was as ok with Clary as I was.  But why do Alec and Izzy look like they're about 40 years old when they're supposed to be, what, seventeen?  They dude playing Magnus was mildly ok but just not what I saw Magnus like.  And I never did feel any of the deep feelings Alec has for Jace, or the budding feelings between Alec and Magnus.  There was just awkward, angry conversation between Clary and Alec about Jace, and Magnus just showed up with no explanation when Alec was hurt.  They should have done more on both these parts if they're really going to continue the series.

There were some very Harry Potterish scenes . . . when Clary sees the Institute, the look of the place and the complex locking doors, and again when they first showed Hodge's office.  That was all fun for Potter geeks like me.

I think I liked the movie, but was not at all wowed by it.  Having read the book, there was way too much comparing going on in my head.  I think I will go back and watch it again now that the initial shock is past.  I also don't believe in that line of thinking that people who haven't read the books will have a hard time with the movie (or any book to movie adaptation).  I think people who haven't read it will have an *easier* time because they don't know what's missing or different.  They'll be able to accept the story that's being presented to them.  So I need to go back and watch it now with that sort of mindset.

Have you seen City of Bones?  What did you think?  Have you read the book??

6 comments:

  1. I love the book series and saw Mortal Instruments in theaters. I actually liked the movie. It's definitely not as good as the book. My biggest disappointment was how Jace's personality seemed forced...he was funnier in the book (I'm a huge Jace fangirl). Clary was okay...but I agree with you..Izzy and Alec seemed to old and I thought Magnus should have been younger.

    But....I'm excited to see the next movie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Jace did seem forced. He had his moments though, so I'm hoping he loosens up as the movies progress.

      Magnus....*sigh* I'm opposite, thought he should have been a bit older. My main problem with him though was that he should have had more 'character,' more 'presence.' I would have liked to see some a bit more over the top in personality, not just looks.

      I'm excited to see how the next movie goes.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. I have not seen City of Bones nor have I read the book. The series sounds interesting, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the series should have stopped where it supposedly had been originally planned to stop. The books that came after that point don't have the same feel, and the story lines get increasing 'busy' and farfetched.

      But I'm a dork who will continue to see it through to the end. lol

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed as a movie. It did get a little hokey with the portal bubble being used to stroke her hair. I wish it had ended more like the book. I loved Simon and Magnus but have left a lot to be desired for me. Bummer. Will still watch the rest though :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, the bubble! It was kinda funny later though, when he used it to smack Valentine.

      ~Deb

      Delete