Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Watched - The Conjuring

The Conjuring
2013
Rated R, 112 minutes

'Paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren work to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in their farmhouse.'

Ever since The Blair Witch Project, I'm always leery of movies claiming to be based on true events.  Still, hearing everyone rave about this, I thought it was going to be some awesome new classic type thriller, and I went into it quite hopeful.

This movie didn't disappoint in the beginning but the end left me feeling a little bleah.  Set in the early 1970s, this family has fallen on hard times and moves into an old, slightly rundown farmhouse.  Creepy things start happening pretty early in the movie, small things like all the clocks stopping in the middle of the night, unexplained bruises, sleepwalking.  One daughter, more than once, experiences having something tug at her foot while she's sleeping.  THAT was freaky to me because the closest thing to encountering a 'ghost' that has ever happened to me was the feeling that someone had brushed their hand across my foot while I slept.  To this day, I don't like to sleep with my feet uncovered.

Anyway, the creepy occurrences keep picking up, with nearly everyone in the house experiencing something, whether it's just hearing things or having a feeling something is odd.  The mother and the three younger daughters seem to be having the most encounters.  I can't even remember offhand just what happens that makes the mom start looking for help, but she eventually does seek out the Warrens, paranormal investigators.  The agree to come and check out the house and can immediate tell there is a lot going on.  They do some research on the house, the land, previous owners, and find a long line of tragedies associated with this place.  I really liked the backstory, all the history, but that's also where the movie started to lose me.  It was like there were too many spirits in the house.  I couldn't tell if there was one evil (the original curse) and one trying to save, and the others just stuck there making things go bump in the night.....?  Were they all evil?  Well, all but the one child spirit who seemed to be trying to help.

And then the exorcism seemed rather quick and clean.  I don't think I'd ever trust that something like that would be gone so easily.  I'd probably live in state of paranoid terror the rest of my life.  Ok, maybe they all did, I don't know.

The movie was good overall, some quick flashes of dead bodies and evil spirits but not a blood and guts gorefest by any means.  It kept a quick pace too.  It was just that ending that was weak for me.  I would have liked to see a bigger fight against the original evil without all the little extras to distract in the process.  Still, one I probably wouldn't mind having in our Halloween collection.

4 comments:

  1. This is one of the few recent horror movies that has sounded like it's worth seeing. I much prefer "creepy scary" to "slasher scary." Did you ever see The Changeling with George C Scott?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, have not seen that one. It's creepy scary, I take it?

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Yep, a good, old-fashioned haunted house story.

      Delete
    3. I'll have to add it to my Netflix list if it's there. Thanks!

      ~Deb

      Delete