Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Watched - The Haunting In Connecticut

The Haunting In Connecticut
2009
Rated PG-13, 92 minutes

'After a family is forced to relocate for their son's health, they begin experiencing supernatural behavior in their new home, which turns out to be a former mortuary.'

I put off watching this one for a long time because, you see how that stuff is coming out of his mouth on the cover?  Yeah, things coming out of mouths creeps me out and makes me gag.  Also, I seem to remember my movie watching former coworker friend talking about this one back in the day and not liking it.  But for whatever reason, it was on my Netflix list and had somehow found its way to the top so I figured I'd go ahead and get it out of the way.

Main character Matt is a teenager battling cancer that has been accepted into a new experimental treatment program/study.  He travels with him mom to and from the treatments, several hours drive each way, and when it becomes too much they end up renting a rundown old house for cheap, much closer to the hospital.  And then the weirdness begins.  Matt is drawn to a room in the basement that he claims as his bedroom.  There is a weird room next to it that they can't get into because the doors seem to be stuck with age, but Matt finds himself more and more drawn to whatever is in there.  He starts experiencing things like putting plates on the table then finding them back in the cupboard, or thinking he sees someone in the house, or being sucked into dreams or visions or flashbacks.  He doesn't want to say anything about any of it because one of the side effects of the treatment could be hallucinations, and if he starts having them he'll be removed from the program.

One day that mysteriously stuck door opens and Matt goes into that curious room.  He's bombarded with visions of the past, and the family now finds out this old house used to be a mortuary, funeral home, and seance parlor.  As the weirdness continues to escalate for Matt, he and his cousin do some research at the library and find out about the shady past of the funeral home director.

Along the way, Matt also meets Reverend Popescu, who is a fellow cancer treatment patient, also loosing his battle with the disease.  This man opens Matt's eyes to some things about ghost and spirits, and ends up being the one to help the family when it becomes apparent something evil is happening in this house.

This movie had a lot of disturbing images for being only PG-13!  Cutting off eyelids???  Uhhhh, I couldn't even look at that!  And carving words and phrases into corpses, showing the actual cuttings....again, couldn't watch it.  A lot of other bloody things going on too.  I could have done without all of that.  On the other hand, I was fascinated by the pictures they kept showing of people with their deceased loved ones.  That is a freaky morbid curiosity that I have.  I've heard about how people long ago would often dress up recently deceased family members, especially children, to get one last picture of them, and would often be in a family portrait type setting.  Creepy!  But fascinating.

I also kept thinking that boy who played Matt could have played Edward Cullen in the Twilight movies.  Hehe!

Again, this is 'based on a true story' and I'm leery about that, especially with that supposedly miracle ending.  The side story about the father didn't seem to fit in anywhere.  And did it ever explain why the two nieces (?) were living with them?  But whatever, if they'd have done without the gory images I would have liked this movie a lot more.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I love these types of movies. I see several review titles on your blog I need to catch up on. If you like these types of movies, I have some suggestions. Have you seen A Tale of Two Sisters, Isolation (great film if you can get past the summary, LOL), or Audition? I also love Lake Mungo and The Machinist. Probably too many more to name, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, cool. I've added Lake Mungo to my Netflix list. I've heard of The Machinist, and I've seen a preview for Audition, but the other two are new to me. Hmm.

      I still have to post my thoughts on The Last Exorcism 2. Hopefully get that up today.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Oh great - can't wait to read that review. I haven't seen that movie yet.

      Delete