Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Watched - The Last Exorcism (Part II)

The Last Exorcism (Part II)
2013
Rated PG-13, 88 minutes

'As Nell Sweetzer tries to build a new life after the events of the first movie, the evil force that once possessed her returns with an even more horrific plan.'

Apparently I never reviewed the first movie here on my blog.  Huh.  I seem to remember liking it, except for the weird ending.  Well, I just watched the second one the other day and was much less thrilled.

Main character Nell, the possessed girl, is put into a sort of foster home for troubled girls after being found where the first movie ends.  She's very quiet and nervous, still freaked like anyone would be after what she went through in the first movie, but she still has that very delicate, prim and proper way about her that I love.  One of the girls befriends her and she starts to come out of her shell and is gradually accepted by the other girls.  She gets a job, and even seems to have her first boyfriend.  Things seem to be looking up for her.

There are still weird things happening to her and around her though.  She keeps encountering her father, who she is pretty sure died in the events of the first movie.  She keeps hearing voices on radios that seem to be talking to her.  She's having weird dreams.  And that first girl who befriended her might not be so friendly after all.

The creepy weirdness escalates and it's a pretty good movie until . . . the end, again.  This sort of 'secret society' that has been keeping an eye on her is trying to perform an exorcism again.  When they realize this demon is stronger than they realized, they consider killing Nell while the demon is still in her, thereby killing the demon.  But someone doesn't like that idea . . .

The ending is, of course, wide open for a third movie but I can't really imagine what the plot would be with this new twist.  I will watch it though, if they do make a third one, because the girl playing Nell is just that good.  I also like that these are not blood and guts, shock value gorefest type movies.  There are some images that make you cringe (like the contorting body) but it's mainly just a building tension and a lot of creepiness.  I'd rather watch this type than slash-n-kill crap any day.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, Deb. I'm glad you like the actress that plays Nell - I love watching great actors/actresses, even if I don't enjoy a film. I tend to be disappointed in sequels overall. I love blood/gore/guts and gratuitous violence, but it's the creepy films and psychological thrillers that tend to stay with me. I'm going to put this one in my Netflix queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was younger, I was all for blood and guts and gore. These days, though, it seems to be so over the top. Like they need to constantly come up with sicker ways to hurt people, and it's just pointless to me now.

      Sequels usually can't compare, agreed. But look at me and Paranormal Activity. LOL! The first is one of my absolute favorite horror movies, but I have absolutely hated the sequels . . . yet I keep watching every new one that comes out. Doh!

      ~Deb

      Delete