Monday, January 6, 2014

Watched - Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures
2013
PG-13, 124 minutes

'Ethan longs to escape his small Southern town. He meets a mysterious new girl, Lena. Together, they uncover dark secrets about their respective families, their history and their town.'

I put off reading the book for quite some time because people were saying it was too long and too slow getting going.  When I finally read it recently, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.  Since this was shortly before Christmas, I was suddenly anxious to see the movie version and quickly added it to my Christmas list.  Although the movie had come out way earlier in the year, I had not bothered to see that either because people had been disappointed in that too.  Well since I enjoyed the book so much, I thought for sure I'd like the movie too.

Well, I was wrong.  Santa did indeed bring me this movie and I watched it one night during my Christmas vacation.  Wow . . . did they ever change things!  I didn't care much for the people playing the main roles, which didn't help things, but the way they changed things left the story almost unrecognizable.  Some of the cluttery side stories were cut out, and that was fine because it helped the story move along.  Some characters and things were combined, which also helped to streamline and keep things flowing.  But still, it just seemed so off, so different.  I was so looking forward to the flashbacks, particularly when they encounter the ghost of the ancestor who caused the whole curse to begin with, but they didn't have any of that.  There was only one really brief flashback when Ethan and Lena first touch the locket, and that whipped by so fast you could barely tell what was supposed to be happening.  And then there was another flashback towards the end that showed the beginning of the curse.  All that good stuff in between was gone!

I did kinda like the one big change they made in how Lena chose to deal with the curse.  That was shocking, and sad.  Because of it, this movie seemed to be wrapping things up like there weren't going to be any others from the series.  And then there was that bit at the very end that kicked the door for a sequel wide open.

I don't know, I don't think I hated this movie.  I think I was just so shocked at how different it was from the book.  If I were to watch it again, I might actually like it.  I think I might have to do that.

Hehe.

4 comments:

  1. I share your sentiments! I enjoyed the book (I thought it read rather fast, actually) and was SUPER surprised in how different the movie was. I mean, they were basically like two very different stories. I think they are both alright on their own, but to me it doesn't seem like a very good adaptation, just a very loose one.

    jess | Quaintrelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I didn't think the book was slow either. I was a little disappointed in the weird ending but otherwise was quite into it the whole way.

      Have you read the entire series? I'm reading something else before I continue with the second book.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Hmm... sounds like I can move this one farther down my "to-watch" list. I liked the book a lot, but haven't read the sequels yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As its own movie, it's not bad. But if you're hoping to 'see' the book.....nope. I do plan to watch it again.

      ~Deb

      Delete