Monday, January 6, 2014

Watched - Talhotblond (Documentary version)

Talhotblond (documentary version)
2009
83 minutes

'This is the true story of a love triangle that takes place entirely online. Lies lead to murder in real life, as a teenage vixen (screen name 'talhotblond') lures men into her web. Revealing a shocking true crime story that shows the internet's power to unleash our most dangerous fantasies.'

I had not heard of this movie until someone mentioned it in a comment here on the blog.  I don't remember hearing about this in the news either.  It's right up my true crime, internet scandal loving alley though!

The narrative of this documentary is done through the 'voice' (an actor) of the murder victim, and the bulk of the interview footage is from the murderer telling his side of the story.  There are also interviews with other family members of the people involved, and a lot of pictures and transcripts of texts and messages.

I was immediately sucked into this story.  At times it seemed slightly confusing as far as timelines go, and at times I was just getting fed up with the back and forth now we're mad at each other and now we're not drama in the relationships, but overall you're just anxious to see where this is going and how it ends up there.  You see the tensions building and you just want to scream at someone, or all of them, but you're not quite sure who you want to protect.  I mean, you have Man #1 who is older and who should know better, but you have The Girl who makes you so mad at times because although she's young, she's still old enough to know better, and she's putting herself out there like a total hootchie.  And then you have Man #2, who seems like the one you want to pull aside and 'help' the most but on the other hand he appears to have a mean streak of his own.  And when it all gets pushed to the point of murder, you're just stunned.

The interview with the girl's father broke me up the most.  Ohhh, his pain and heartache.  When they asked what he'd say to the other family, I thought there was going to be some arranged meeting so they could all sort of get closure, but they didn't show anything like that.

I'm glad this was recommended to me because it's one of those stories that just gets into your head and keeps you thinking for quite some time.  I need to find out if there are any books about this case because I'd like to read more.

Have you seen this, or even heard about the case?

6 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this, but it sounds like a must see documentary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At times it seemed almost cheesy and low budget, but it was still really interesting.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is! Do you watch this kind of stuff? If so, you should definitely look for it. (I Netflixed it.)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. So glad you watched this and that you enjoyed it, Deb. The hardest part for me to watch was the interview with the young girl's father. I hope he was able to reach out and try to heal some wounds on both sides, as much as possible. I loved your review of the TV version. I'm going to watch it, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know (about the dad)! I was bawling watching his part of the interviews. Wow.

      Thanks for recommending this!

      ~Deb

      Delete