Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Melting Fairy - February Box

It's Melting Fairy time again!  This is the third box they've had, and the last of my complimentary subscription.  This one had some shipping troubles again, as did the first month (December), and I finally got it on Feb. 18.  There was one freebie in this month's box.  (The first month had two, the second month had none.)  There was a nice handwritten note on the back of the info card again, and she mentioned something curious which has me wondering again just who The Melting Fairy is.  Is she a brand new vendor?  Is she someone we might already be familiar with?  The mystery continues . . .

But let's just get to my scents for this month!

(These are cold sniff thoughts only, since I haven't melted any of these yet.)

Buttercream Cupcake - 'Sweet and creamy cupcake scent with notes of vanilla and maple, topped with sweet and sugary whipped cream topping.'
Smells soooo good!  Although I don't think I'd ever recognize the maple AS maple, I think it's really lending something to the overall scent, an extra bit of depth and sweetness.  There is something almost berry-like in this scent.
Birthday Cake - 'A sweet and buttery birthday cake strong on the vanilla notes.'
Another really yummy cake scent.  This is sweet but not as sweet as the cupcake one.  There is a bit more warmth and bakery in this one.
Creme Brûlée - 'Rich and creamy burnt sugar scent with french coffee undertones.'
When I first pulled this out of the box, I hadn't remembered picking it and thought there was a mistake.  Looking over the scent list though, and seeing this was one of the new choices for the month, yeah I guess I probably did pick it.  And I probably picked it because of the coffee factor.  I seem to be going through a cake and coffee phase lately.  This is pretty good on cold sniff, the coffee note is there but not too bitter or overpowering.  There is a deep, creamy sweetness with it, like caramel.

Carrot Cake - 'A creamy and buttery carrot cake scent with added notes of coconut, vanilla, cinnamon and spices.'
I mainly picked this because of my cake phase, and she several cake options in her new scent additions for the month.  This reminds me of fall, would be a good fall melt.  There is a warmth, just a hint of spice, and the softly sweet notes from the carrot cake.  Not at all like the typical, sweet, bright birthday cake type scents, this is more of a muffin-bakery type.
Lemon Meringue Pie - 'Fresh lemon custard is blended with pie crust and topped with creamy whipped vanilla meringue. The perfect combination of sweet and tart!'
You know I love lemon scents, right?  LOL!  This one is deeeee-lish!  This is the one that was scenting the box when I opened it.  It's an awesome bakery-lemon, not the sharp 'cleaner' type lemon.  There is creaminess from the custard and/or meringue, and just a hint of crust.  Love this one.
Valentine's Day Fluff Brulee - 'A blend of Pink in Blue Sugar with smokey Creme Brulee and sweet marshmallows.'
This is the surprise, custom blend of the month, and as always, it comes in chunk form.  I don't see Pink or Blue Sugar on the scent list (yet) but I do know both are popular scents in the body fragrance world.  The scent is quite light on this right now.  I think I detect a bit of the Creme Brulee, and maybe a tiny hint of Pink Sugar along with something maybe slightly masculine.  This will be interesting if the scent strengthens when warmed.

Old Fashioned Banana Pudding - 'Creamy banana pudding is mixed with vanilla wafers and topped with fresh, creamy meringue topping!'
This was my extra freebie and it made me chuckle a bit because there has been some discussion about banana scents recently here on my blog.  Another yummy one here.  My very first thought was that this smells like banana-candy, like everyone always mentions the Runts candies.  There is a bit more depth than just a simple candy scent though.
For those who don't know, The Melting Fairy is a new monthly subscription box of wax tarts.  They are still in their beta test phase and I was contacted to see if I'd like to try the program through a 3-month complimentary subscription, but they are taking subscriptions already.  For $14.50 a month (shipping included) you get to pick five scents from their growing scent list, and you will 2 oz. of wax in each of those scents.  You will also receive a 2 oz. chunk tart in the house blend scent of the month.  That one is a surprise until you open your box and see what you got, and I do believe the chunk scent is the same in all boxes.  They add new scents to their list each month, although I don't see last month's blend on this month's list.  There are also surveys to do on the website, to help give feedback.  And from I've seen, they are indeed paying attention to that feedback.
This was the third and final box of my complimentary subscription.  Will I continue with a paid subscription?  I'm really undecided at this point.  The tarts themselves have been fine.  But there have been some inconsistencies and a lack of communication that bother me.
How about you?  Have you tried The Melting Fairy?  How has your experience been?

6 comments:

  1. Great scents Deb! That lemon pie sounds really good. I am liking mine too so far. I am going to wait another week or two before melting. I have enjoyed chatting about this wax subscription and seeing your posts on it! Banana!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to the lemon pie one! Did you find any new faves in yours, besides that amber one?

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. The fruit tea is really nice and the orange swirl cake. I am still undecided in the chunk tart. I will definitely have to melt it. I think I only like blue sugar as bar soap and not in wax or blended with other scents.

      Delete
    3. I've found some scents like that for me, liking them only in soap. Oatmeal, Milk & Honey is one. Pink Sugar is another. And there are some scents I love in wax but wouldn't really want to bathe in.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Loved lemon meringue pie and I hope you do, too. birthday cake was also a winner, strong throw, too!

    I am still undecided about my subscription, I may do a month or two more just to see the new scents offered. I hope that the issues you mentioned get fixed! And since Julie said it, BANANAAAAAAAAA!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not continuing my subscription. Lack of communication and customer support happened again, and that was the last straw for me.

      ~Deb

      Delete