Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Watched - A Love Song For Bobby Long

A Love Song For Bobby Long
2004
Rated R
120 minutes

'After her mother's death, moody teenage lone wolf Purslane Will (Scarlett Johansson) returns to New Orleans to reclaim her childhood home. But she's shocked to discover that two of her mother's friends have been squatting there for years. In an effort to coexist with Bobby Long (John Travolta), an ex-literature professor, and his protégé, Lawson Pines (Gabriel Macht), Purslane ultimately learns how intertwined they actually are.'

I only Netflixed this movie because I want to see all of Gabriel Macht's movies.  I went into this thinking it would just be fun drooling and swooning over him, and not really caring about the movie.  Whoa.  I never expected to freakin' love this movie.

I loved this movie.

And Gabriel Macht was only a small part of the reason in the end.  Holy crap, this story just sucked me in and by the end had me bawling.  There is one scene near the end that had me absolutely sobbing.  You know that sort of hiccuping gasping sobbing?  Yeah, that was me.

This is one of those relationship movies.  There is no fast action, no gun fight, no bloodgutsgore.  No aliens, superheroes, or catastophic events.  It's the story of some people living struggling lives.  At first I was a little 'Bleah,' because I'm not a huge fan of John Travolta, and because the setting is this sort of dirty, poor, hopeless people not really doing anything to help themselves.  Scarlett Johansson's character brings about slow and subtle changes when she appears on the scene and shakes things up.  Eventually you see there is still good and hope in these people.  You see that even though maybe people are looking down on them and casting them aside, they've made a family of themselves.  The Christmas scene had me crying, all these people with seemingly nothing to offer and nothing going for them, but finding such joy in the simple act of spending the day together.

Not everything is explained in this story, and this is one time that it works.  How did these unemployed alcoholics get the money they spent on their booze (and very little else)?  What exactly did happen to Lorraine?  Did Bobby lie about his condition after he'd seen the doctors?  Did Pursy and Lawson get together in the end?  And while we do get an eventual explanation of what happened years ago to Bobby and Lawson (from a teary Gabriel Macht, awww), there is just so much more of that story you want to know but never find out.  And it's all ok in the way this movie is done.  It's been five days since I've seen it and I still can't get it out of my head.

And yes, I loved Gabriel in this.  When he eats the last pickle and mixes his booze with the pickle juice to drink it . . . eeuw!  And his face . . . LOL  Or later when he's trying to get sober for Pursy, and he's all shakey and snippy and dark circles under his eyes . . . aww.  In a weird way, there is a bit of Harvey Specter (Gabriel's character in the show Suits) in this Lawson character.  You could say well yeah, it's the same actor, but I think it's more of a personality trait the characters share.  Although the walk must be all Gabriel.  I thought that sort of head-bobble swagger was a Harvey Specter thing, but I noticed Lawson had it too.  lol

But anyway, yeah, this movie caught me off guard and I loved it.  Have you seen it?  You should!


2 comments:

  1. This review makes me even more excited to see this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do see it. And soon! I think my next Amazon order is going to include this dvd.

      ~Deb

      Delete