Saturday, May 10, 2014

The Melting Fairy - May '14 Box

It's Melting Fairy time again!  This is the May box, and you've probably already noticed the big change.  Yep, the tarts are in scent shot cups this time.  My first thoughts are that I am not at all thrilled with this because I just don't prefer cups.  I don't like having to cut wax, so I'll now be more likely to go ahead and melt the whole scent shot at once, which will in turn be less bang for my buck.  I liked having the two tarts because it was easier to just pop one into the warmer, and easier to share.  Granted, I have not tried cutting any of these yet so I don't know how easy it will be or if the wax will be hard and crumbly.  But I know there are plenty of people out there who love the cups.  It also seems like it might be easier to make tarts this way.  Oh well, we'll see what happens in time.

So what scents did I choose for this month???

 
Tooth Fairy Taffy - 'A sweet and fruity blend with notes of bubblegum, vanilla, sugar, citrus, and berry. Sweet and delightful!'
Thought I'd pick some fun scents this month, some fruity things for the nicer weather we're finally having here.  This smells like bubble gum, for sure.  I don't really get any particular citrus note, but there is a slight hint of berry.  In general though, this is a rich, almost creamy bubble gum scent.  Fun!
 
Fruit Slices - 'A deliciously fruity blend of raspberries, strawberries, grapefruit, orange, and lemon.'
This one is soooo good, so juicy and cheerful for summer.  There is an almost effervescent note to this, probably just the zing from the grapefruit.  I think the citrus side comes through a little stronger, but there is some of the berry sweetness showing up too.  I'm not a huge fruity scent fan, but this one is NICE.
 
 Tutti Fruity - 'A sweet and fruity blend of melons, pineapple, strawberry, coconut, and sugar.'
Another fabulously fruity scent, this one is a bit more 'warm,' or even tropical that the previous one.  All of the notes come through.  Sniff once and you think you smell melon, then you go back and sniff and think you have coconut, then you reconsider and think it's the strawberry.  They're all there, blending nicely together for a more laid back summer scent.
 
 Strawberry Passion - 'Ripe strawberries with notes of vanilla and cotton candy sugar.'
I don't remember having a lot of strawberry scents.  It's not one I usually gravitate towards.  I'm not sure I'd even know a good one from a bad one.  This one seems nice enough to me.  Strawberry is the predominant note.  I think the vanilla and cotton candy just enhance the strawberry, instead of coming across as their own notes.  It will be interesting to melt this one.
 
 Maple Sugar Candy (NEW) - 'Pure maple sugar with creamy vanilla and hints of malt.'
This is the only one of the new scents for May that interested me enough to choose, and it's the only 'warm' scent I chose.  I quite enjoy maple scents so this seemed like an obvious choice for me.  I'm a little worried though because the scent seems really light at this point.  What I do get is an awesome, rich maple scent.  I will let this sit as The Melting Fairy suggests and will dive into it later.
 
There were two blends again this month.  This one is Lavender Marshmallow Sugar Cookie (no scent description available) and is a cute little .6 oz. bunny head shape.  I've been more accepting of lavender blends lately so I didn't automatically shy away from this when I saw it.  This one is interesting.  It is definitely lavender . . . strong, strong lavender.  While I don't know that I'd ever recognize it as sugar cookie, you do eventually realize there is something else going on in there.  Deep down in, there is the sort of warmth of a bakery note but it's just so uniquely mingling with that lavender.  (I wish I more of this to share with my Smelly Sisters!)

Very Berry Bubbly - 'A blend of Blonde Moment and strawberry soda.'
The chunk blend of the month is sparkly and summery.   The description of Blonde Moment is 'Iced champagne mixed with sweet raspberries and cranberries,' and it was one of the new scents for May.  Once again, while I'm not usually a big fan of champagne type scents, this blend is surprisingly awesome.  It's very sweet and super happy.  I do get the strawberry, but there is just so much bright and perky fruity action in here, it just makes you smile.  It's almost candy-like.  If the blends ever make it to the regular scent list, this should be one of them.

If you're not familiar with The Melting Fairy, it is a monthly subscription box of wax tarts.  Cost is $14.50 a month, and that includes shipping.  You get to pick five scents from the scent list, and you will receive two 1 oz. tarts in each of those scents.  You will also receive a surprise chunk blend each month, and sometimes one of two freebies.  Sign up by the 20th of the month to receive the next month's box.  New scents are added each month.  There is also a Facebook page . . . HERE.

Have YOU tried The Melting Fairy yet?

2 comments:

  1. Fun scents!! I hope they are all nice and strong for you. Tutti frutti and the strawberry pop/blonde moment sounds like great summer scents. I bet your smelly sisters wish the lavender cookie tart was bigger too! Lol! Nice box of wax. Looking forward to seeing how they perform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for that maple one, these are all really strong on cold throw. Hope they melt equally strong!

      ~Deb

      Delete