Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Haul - Amazon / Books

I haven't been into reading as much this year as I have been in recent years.  I don't know if I'm just not liking the things I'm reading or if I'm just not feeling like reading which is then making me not like what I'm forcing myself to read.  I've tried to hold off buying books too, for money and space reasons.  But then it all comes back to the simple fact that I. Love. Books.

Somewhere in the back of my head, I was aware that a couple books I was anxious for would be coming out around May.  By the time I remembered and realized that one of them was out, and went to check Amazon to be sure, I found that not only was the other one already out but a third one I'd forgotten all about had come out around then too.  Well, I placed an order immediately for all three of them! 

And they just arrived today.  wOOt!

Odin's Ravens - by K.L. Armstrong & M.A. Marr
Seven kids, Thor's hammer, and a whole lot of Valkyries are the only things standing against the end of the world.

When thirteen-year-old Matt Thorsen, a modern day descendant of the Norse god Thor, was chosen to represent Thor in an epic battle to prevent the apocalypse he thought he knew how things would play out. Gather the descendants standing in for gods like Loki and Odin, defeat a giant serpent, and save the world. No problem, right?

But the descendants' journey grinds to a halt when their friend and descendant Baldwin is poisoned and killed and Matt, Fen, and Laurie must travel to the Underworld in the hopes of saving him. But that's only their first stop on their journey to reunite the challengers, find Thor's hammer, and stop the apocalypse--a journey filled with enough tooth-and-nail battles and larger-than-life monsters to make Matt a legend in his own right.

Authors K.L. Armstrong and M.A. Marr return to Blackwell in the epic sequel to Loki's Wolves with more explosive action, adventure and larger-than-life Norse legends.

This is the second book in the Blackwell Pages series.  These are middle grade books but still entertaining enough for adults to read.  I was drawn to this series because of the whole Norse thing.  There is a lot to be learned in these books!  I like that.  Even if a kid picks it up to read for fun, he or she will be learning, and sometimes the things we don't realize we are learning are the things that stick with us most.

I admit I don't remember a lot about the first book so I'll have to find a summary to read before I dive into this one.

City of Heavenly Fire - by Cassandra Clare
Shadowhunters and demons square off for the final showdown in the spellbinding, seductive conclusion to the #1 New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

Darkness has descended on the Shadowhunter world. Chaos and destruction overwhelm the Nephilim as Clary, Jace, Simon, and their friends band together to fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary’s own brother. Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell. Nothing in this world can defeat Sebastian—but if they journey to the realm of demons, they just might have a chance…

Lives will be lost, love sacrificed, and the whole world will change. Who will survive the explosive sixth and final installment of the Mortal Instruments series?
 
Finally!  The final book in a series that was originally supposed to stop at four books.  I've had a bit of a love/hate relationship with this series.  There are some things I absolutely love about it, and some that just make me cringe, gag, and roll my eyes.  I think there was a definite change from the feel of the first four books to what the fifth one was like.  It was like the author tried to cram too much stuff into the story after that fourth book, almost like 'Hey, my series is wildly popular so I can do whatever I want!'  Seeing that this new and final installment is a beast at 725 pages, I hope it's just tying up what we were bombarded with in the previous book and not adding more to it.
Empower - by Jessica Shirvington

It's all come down to this.

The final battle between Angels and Exiles is about to begin in this stunning conclusion to the must-read series Entertainment Weekly calls "addictive."

Two years ago, Violet Eden walked away from her home, her friends, the Academy, and hardest of all, she walked away from her soul mate, Lincoln.

But it's time to stop running.

Violet must find out who she really is—and exactly what she is capable of—before the abilities the angels gave her are turned against them. She is all that stands between the forces of good and evil...

It's time to make a choice.
 
Although City of Heavenly Fire was the book that made go to Amazon that day, THIS is the one that made me place the order and has me the most excited.  This is also the final book in its series.  I'm glad, and sad.  I absolutely loved the first book in this series, Embrace.  It rivals Twilight for me (book, not movie!) and the Violet-Phoenix relationship in that first book blows Bella-Edward out of the water in the Hot Sexual Tension category.  But as the series went on, I did have some problems with a few things.  Even so, I do think this is my favorite series as a whole so far.  I'm super anxious to read this one!
And suddenly I'm excited about reading again!  I need to put some major effort into finishing the book I'm currently reading and then I will be throwing myself into Empower.  Yaaaaayyyyyyy!!

Have YOU read any of these books?  What did you think?  Or what else have you read recently?

2 comments:

  1. Grea Odin's beard! I love mythology and such. It fascinates me too. And historical fiction. Putting these two books on my to read list. Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on CoHF. I agree. Her books have been hit or miss a bit. I like this one so far but it is not up-all-night to see what happens next for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should start watching Vikings too. *wink wink*

      If CoHF wasn't so huge I might consider reading that before my final angel book, but I'll feel more accomplished if I finish the shorter one first. lol

      ~Deb

      Delete