Thursday, June 12, 2014

Lathered - Rafa Natural / Winter Wonderland

Winter Wonderland - [no scent description]

Earlier this year I received this bar of soap from a waxy friend who shares a love of handcrafted bar soaps.  For the past year or so, I've been pretty lazy about soaps and have slipped back to the commercial body washes.  I haven't made soap for a while.  I haven't even ordered because we still had enough on hand for hubby to poke his way through.  (Our sons don't use bar soaps, only body washes.)  Well, this past week I've been feeling the urge to get back into using handcrafted bar soaps.  So when hubby finished up the bar of soap he had been using, and I checked the dwindling stash to see what was left, I decided to finally put this bar in the shower.

And I've decided to start using it.

I know nothing about the Rafa Natural company besides the fact that they are based in Lakeland, Florida.  They do have a nice looking website that I browsed.  While I couldn't find this particular soap to get a scent description, when I used the 'search this site' function for the Winter Wonderland name it took me to a candle called The Woods.  I have no idea if this is Winter Wonderland with a new name or what, but the description for The Woods is 'It's so hard to describe this scent.  More than just pine, it's more like a snow covered forest with whiffs of cinnamon, clove, and vanilla.'  I *think* this might be it.  The scent if soft, but I do get a pine note, and I can tell there is indeed something else going on but it's not spicy like you might expect.  It does strike me as sort of Christmas-y.  It's a light scent though, so I don't mind using it now as we creep into summer.

This is not a cold process soap, I can tell that from the tell-tale glycerin soap look of the green parts.  It says on the label that it is a coconut oil soap, but there are no other ingredients listed on the package or the website.  It lathered nicely and easily, a thicker, creamy type lather more than a big explosion of bubbles.  The lather lasted the length of my shower, and rinsed easily.  My skin has felt fine after using this soap, no dryness or itchiness, so it's moisturizing just fine.  The scent was light while using the soap but I did not notice any scent lingering on my skin afterwards, which is fine with me but I know some people like their soap scents to hang around for a while.

I have not tried this soap on my face.

Would I order more?  I'm not sure.  It was a nice enough soap and their prices are comparable to other vendors, but I prefer goat milk soaps, and I prefer cold process soaps.  Still, I'm happy to have received this soap and am enjoying using it and being able to try a new (to me) vendor. 

4 comments:

  1. I have discovered I prefer cold process soaps recently, over glycerine. I am looking forward to seeing your next order :-) I hope it comes quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I think I prefer hot process over cold process but they seem harder to find. The BEST soap I ever had was from an Etsy shop called Boondock G's. They've since switched to cold process though.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Look. At. That. Soap. AGHHHH it's gorgeous! Soaps with thick lather and lots of bubbles make for a good bath/shower. Do you prefer a lighter scented soap, or something that lasts a bit longer on your skin/hands?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most times I prefer scent that does not linger on my skin after a shower because then I don't have to worry about it conflicting with whatever lotion or body mist I'm going to use.

      On the other hand, if a scent I love is good and strong an lingers, I'm ok with that too and will just not use scented lotion or body mist. Zum (Indigo Wild) has *strong* lingering scents. I'm hoping to place an order with them soon, since it's been a long long time. They're sort of like an American version of Lush.

      ~Deb

      Delete