Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Melted - Mainstays / Hazelnut Cream

Hazelnut Cream - [no scent description]

Way back when I first got into tarts, many years ago, before the wax world exploded in popularity, the first tart I had was hazelnut cream.  I wasn't quite sure what to make of these newfangled wickless candles but I knew I was frustrated with poorly performing candles and was willing to give that curious little piece of wax a try.  I was blown away by it, and have been hooked ever since.  I can't say for sure whether that tart was a Mainstays brand hunk of wax, but I do remember I'd found it at either Walmart or Kmart and it was a 'no name' type item.

Jump up to present time and Walmart's Mainstays brand introduced their own clamshell tarts earlier this year.  When I saw Hazelnut Cream scent, I knew that was the one I wanted to try first, for sentimental reasons if nothing else.  I automatically assume that hazelnut cream is a coffee scent.  The big ol' mug of coffee on the cover reinforces that assumption.  My brain is automatically telling me there is coffee in this scent.  But is there?  This is very heavy on the nuttiness of the hazelnut.  Could my brain be inserting coffee into that?  There is also a thick creaminess that adds warmth and a touch of sweetness.

I melted two cubes of this in my tea light warmer and was happy to have strong scent and throw.  Some time later I decided to melt the remaining four cubes in my Glade 20 watt hot plate warmer and let me tell you, I think there really is something to be said for 'less is more.'  I only seemed to get a medium scent that time, with lesser throw.  Still, this has given me a bit of confidence in this Mainstays line and I will feel free to try other scents now that I know they're probably not weak.

But will someone tell me if there really is coffee in this scent?  LOL

8 comments:

  1. Has to have coffee in it! Right. Right?
    If not, why the cream then? Not hazelnut ice cream, just cream--like the kind I put in my coffee.
    Hazelnut has a tendency to go chocolate-y on me in wax but in actual food and coffee creamer--I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how it could be chocolatey and that would be a bummer. But we agree this has to be coffee . . .

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. This one sounds like it would be a cozy night smell. I love hazelnut coffee and creamer too like Sunnee. Lauren got me hooked on Hazelnut Macchiatos. Mmmm... But chocolate tone? Hmmm. Not normally my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one doesn't strike me as having a chocolate-ish note, but thinking about hazelnut scent in general I can see what Sunnee is talking about.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I'll be looking for this one next time I'm at walmart. I love Hazelnut scents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was nice, hope you find it.

      I think my favorite coffee scent in general has been Cafe Au Lait, in the Scentsationals brand. I never see that one in the store anymore though.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. Absolutely agreed with the "less is more" concept in wax. Adding more is not only a waste, but it doesn't seem to help! You hit the nail on the head.

    I sort of like the idea of big brands coming out with wax cubes and tarts, it's cool that it's sort of becoming more :mainstream: in a sense, but hopefully it doesn't get *too* much more popular, lol.

    Glad you liked this one! Now I want some hazelnut coffee, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cool that more brand names are coming out with tarts, as long as they are strong and not overpriced. It makes it easier for people like me who enjoy the convenience of being to see and smell it before buying it, and not having to wait months to receive it.

      Did you get your coffee?

      ~Deb

      Delete