Thursday, August 28, 2014

Melted - Kim's Tarts / Grannie's Homemade Apple Butter

Grannie's Homemade Apple Butter - 'Very spicy apple with a warm buttery background.'

 I don't think I've eaten actual apple butter.  I've often wanted to try it but I only ever see large jars of it in stores and I end up not wanting to spend the money on something I don't know if I'll like.  One thing I'm wondering now is, is apple butter really this spicy??  Wow, I was surprised just how spicy this scent was!  Spice haters beware!  This was still a great scent, but I just thought it was going to be something more mellow and warm.  It started off like a typical cinnamon apple type scent.  As it continued to warm though, the spice continued to bloom while the actual apple note settled more into the background.  There was still some warmth and depth from the buttery background, making it quite a bit a different from that typical cinnamon apple scent in the end.  A great fall scent, probably even good for around Christmas with all that cinnamon in there.

I melted these tarts (three in a pack) in my Glade 20 watt hot plate warmer and my tea light warmers and had quite strong scent throughout the house.  It might be overpowering to those who are spice sensitive though.

6 comments:

  1. I tried apple butter at Cracker Barrel and liked it ok. It had a little spice but not tons. You have power melted! I love all these fall tart reviews! Woohoo! You have me filling my basket with apples and spices to melt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll make it a point to get some apple butter when hubby and I do our annual trip to our local apple/pumpkin place.

      I haven't been quite the power melter it might seem. Some of these go back to before I went to my Mom's, when I snuck in a few perk-me-up melts.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Apple butter kind of taste like apple sauce to me but the texture is different. My experience was like Julie's, not overly spicy.

    You're well on your way to the pumpkins in your stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to slow down already! I'm kinda sorry now that I started a few days early with my apple scents. Also, I decided to melt all three of the tarts that come in Kim's packs......one in the living room, one in the kitchen, and one in the open room in between.....to get scent through the whole house and help go through tarts faster. Hubby commented last night that he thought it was *too* much scent now, so I'll probably go back to melting one at a time again.

      But yeah, those pumpkin and cranberry scents are waiting for October and November. I'll need to buy a couple Walmart scents for September. Doh!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. Apple butter is like super, super concentrated apple sauce, and to me, there's a tiny bit of spice to it sometimes! It's waaaay better than apple sauce, though I believe there's much more sugar.

    This scent sounds wonderful! I am plotting a small order from Kim's (!!!!!!!!!!) soon, maybe in October! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you going to get some wintery scents? Or just some general scents?

    I'm looking forward to diving into all those pumpkin and cranberry ones I got in my big order. I've used up all the apple scents and generic fall blends already.

    Kim's might not be a high-demand, fancy custom shop but it's still a dependable shop for a large variety of 'everyday' scents.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete