Friday, September 5, 2014

Haul - Blackberry Creek (soaps)

The soap stash in this house is getting dangerously low so I knew I had to order some.  In these early stages of fall, I figured I'd get some fall scent, and after looking at a few old favorite vendors I decided to go with a Wisconsin company that I already knew I liked.  My first order from Blackberry Creek Soaps was about this time last year, and it was even these same two bars.  Heh, yeah, I wasn't feeling very adventurous when I ordered.

Cranberry Spice

Pumpkin Patch

I'm actually a little disappointed this year.  Last year these soaps had such nice strong scents, just having them sit on the desk was scenting the room.  This year they have a 'well cured' look and smell more of that general soap smell than of the cranberry or pumpkin.  Hopefully the scents show up stronger once we start using the bars.

These are not goat milk soaps but that's okay.  The cranberry one has cranberry seeds and ground oatmeal for a bit of exfoliation.  The bars about 3.5 oz. and sell for $4.97 each.  Shipping is fair (you have options) and quick.  I placed my order on Friday, August 29 and received it on Friday, September 5.  They also included a small sample . . . 
Coconut Lemongrass

Blackberry Creek does have other products like creams and lotions, lip balms, even linen sprays.  I know this company has been around for a while because way back when I first stumbled across the world of handcrafted soaps, Blackberry Creek was one of the first vendor sites I looked at.  Even though they don't have goat milk soaps I really do like that it's a Wisconsin company and I'm hoping to place more orders, maybe try their other products.

Do you have a favorite local vendor?

19 comments:

  1. Why is "Pumpkin Patch" in quotes if "Cranberry Spice" is not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One is a title and one is a fact? lol

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Maybe "Pumpkin Patch" actually smells like squash?

      Delete
    3. Actually it just smells like soap right now. Ha.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Very nice sized bars! It's a bit of a bummer they're not as strong as you're used to.
    I remember reading Abbey's blog when she described cutting her soap into slices. Do you do that as well?
    I'm going to look for a local soap maker here in San Diego, I also like the idea of buying local.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like most people do cut their bars of soap. I don't. I like a good sized chunk to hang onto.

      I miss Abby.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Hi Sunnee, there's a shop called Naiad that is local for you, and Julie & Deb have done mini reviews on. etsy and retail

      Delete
    3. Yes! Thank you, Jean! I forgot all about Naiad.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I like the swirling of colors on the bars. Do you think they were left over from last year's stock? Not sure how "well cured" you meant. LoL :-) I have tried Raffa Natural which makes decent soap. I shared a bar with you. But I know there has to be more soapers around here. Does Alchemic Muse count? They are only about 1 1/2 hours away from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I remember that soap. I didn't realize Alchemic Muse was in Florida. For some reason I keep thinking they are in the northwest with all the soapers that are there. lol

      You'll probably be surprised how many low key soapers there are around you. I was amazed to find out how many are right here in my verycloselocal area as well as more accomplished ones a little farther out.

      I think these Blackberry Creek bars could be last year's leftovers. I know I had some that I made myself that were fine well over a year. Heck, my mom still has a bar of mine that she uses now and then, and I *know* that one is more like 3 or 4 years old.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. There used to be a couple biggies in Florida, Magic Hands and Product Body. Deb, did you know Jo from Product Body closed, and has decided to become a Brambleberry?

      Delete
    3. I didn't know that, but then again, I've pretty much fallen out of the soap circle this past year or so.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. Your sister is funny.

    That's happened to me as well, getting soap that has scent fade. I wish they would do a sniff test a few times a year and do some mark downs.

    Some of the supermarkets in my area carry soap loaves that's a mix of CP and M&P, it's nice being able to sniff before I buy since the soap sits out in the open. I bought a bar of mint chocolate chip, which I happened to be looking for online, and it was awesome, smelled like a peppermint patty. I was almost ready to give up buying online. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn right. I'm the funny one and she corrects me. =P

      That's kinda cool that you can get soap loaves in your supermarket. I gotta get out of Walmart and see what's really out there in my area. LOL You've got soap loaves in your stores. Julie has cinnamon brooms in her stores. Geez.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  5. By the way, I don't know if you have any natural food stores in your area, there is one near me that carries this soap. I always have to sniff it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh, that one looks yummy!

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. I was trying to figure out how much shipping is and it is apparently free. I haven't tried it yet, but it smells good.

      Delete