Thursday, September 4, 2014

Haul - Claire Burke (wax)

Are you familiar with Claire Burke home fragrance products?  I wasn't until a few days ago.  I'd been looking into information about a favorite fall scent of mine called Applejack & Peel.  A somewhat common scent among indie wax vendors, it apparently started with the Claire Burke.  As I looked around the site I became more intrigued.  They have a variety of things like candles, reed diffusers, room sprays, potpourri.  I see they have wax melts now in their 'New Products' section.  The product and scent options are nowhere near as vast as companies like Yankee or Bath & Body Works, but when I saw some awesome deals in the clearance section I decided to go ahead and order.

Applejack & Peel - 'Enjoy the welcoming aroma of baked apples warmed with cinnamon, spice and a twist of citrus.'
 Of course I had to get the scent that brought me to the site in the first place.  The scent is rather light on cold throw, and there is a slight plastic note from the cute little plastic cup that it came in.  What I can smell is a somewhat drier version of the spicy juicy cider-y scent I know and love.  Can't wait to burn this and see what happens.
(This 2 oz. votive was $1.75, on sale from the normal price of $2.00.)

 Slice of Spice - 'You can almost taste the essence of pumpkin and allspice mixed with delicious cream cheese icing and shredded carrot. Topped with notes of maple syrup and rum.'
This one sounded so interesting with that pumpkin and maple and rum and . . . carrot?  Perfect for this time of year, and it was in the clearance section so I grabbed it.  This must be an old one because there is a piece of clear plastic sealed across the top instead of the actual little plastic cap that the other votives have.  This is also the most strongly scented of what I received.  I hope that doesn't mean they've changed their formula to something weaker now.  Anyway, this is quite yummy on cold sniff.  The maple and spice hit you first, but then that plastic-y note from the cup comes in.  Hopefully that goes away while burning.
(This 2 oz. votive was $1.00, on sale from the normal price of $2.00.)

Vanilla Bean - 'A rich and decadent scent with ensconce of vanilla buttercream frosting, sweet caramel marshmallow fluff, tonka bean and musk.'
This is a bit of a common, almost generic scent choice but since it was on sale and I wanted to try a variety, I went ahead and got it.  This one is light on cold sniff too.  It's a delicious scent though, deep and rich vanilla with just the tiniest hint of that caramel.  Yum yum yummy.
(This 2 oz. votive was $1.75, on sale from the normal price of $2.00.)
 
Christmas Memories - 'Celebrate tradition with the inspiring aroma of spiced cinnamon.'
I didn't really get this because it's marketed as a Christmas scent.  I figured it it's cinnamon it will be good for fall OR Christmas.  The fact that it's described as 'spiced cinnamon' had me curious.  Is there something else in it?  It does seem like it, but it's so light on cold sniff that I can't figure it out.  This is indeed more of a sweet, Christmas type cinnamon than a warm, fall type cinnamon.  I'll set this aside until I start my Christmas/winter scents.
(This 2 oz. votive was $1.75, on sale from the normal price of $2.00.)
 
This set was actually the thing that had me really considering ordering.  Hubby and I like to burn scented votives, and had been looking for some nice holders last year.  When I saw this set marked at only $2.50 (down from $15.00!) I knew I had to have it.  I didn't even realize they came with tea light candles included, and scented ones at that!  The scent is The Haunted Home and is described as 'The Haunted Home™ is a hauntingly good blend of sap of maple and bud of clove carefully infused with the sweetness of caramel and amber so gold.'  The scent is very light on cold sniff.  It smells nice though, and seems like the amber might be the strong note.  The holders are nice quality, with the details of the orange and purple ones being that fuzzy black stuff, like velvet.  
This set is a steal at only $2.50, and there are still some available on the site.
 
Once I knew for sure I was going to order, I went ahead and looked at a bunch of other things on the website.  I came across this in the clearance section and was wowed by the marked down price.  Sold!  At $3.50, down from $15.00, this one also hopped into my virtual shopping cart.  When I ordered, I thought this was much smaller.  What a happy surprise to find it is a nice 10.4 oz. size in a heavy quality holder.  It is the same Haunted Home scent as the tea light candles above.  
 

It is a purplish black colored wax, and comes with an easily removable plastic cover.  I don't know how easy it will be to clean this out and reuse once this candle is done, but we're going to give it a try.
I don't know how strong the scents will be on these.  Like I said, they're all quite light right now but I'm not worried yet.  We'll see how they act once they're burned.  I am impressed overall so far though.  Those clearance prices are great.  I'm going to keep my eye on the site for other seasonal decorations the might show up in clearance.  Even if the candles are too weak, I can always buy some others from elsewhere and still use them in these nice holders.
 
And the lightning fast shipping sealed the deal for me.  I placed this order on Saturday evening and received it the following Thursday.  Heck yeah!  And that's with a holiday in there!
 
If you do check out Claire Burke and decide to order, there is a 15% off code offer if you sign up for their newsletter.  Scroll down and you'll see it on the left side of the screen.  I had not seen that down there when I placed my order but I will be taking advantage of it if I order again.

So what do you think?  Are you already familiar with Claire Burke?  Will you check them out now?

4 comments:

  1. Those votives are so cute!!! I will definitely be checking her out now. My daughters would love having these lit around the house. So festive. Hope they hang in the clearance section for a wee bit longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they're still there for you. Such a steal! I have to keep checking back now, see if new fall or holiday things show up.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. What a steal on those clearance items!
    Until a few days ago when you first mentioned them, I'd never heard of Claire Burke. I'm definitely interested now!
    Oh --and the pictures of those 2oz votives look a lot bigger than they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the scents bloom once they're burned, because right now they're pretty weak. Oh well, even if they don't, at least I still got great deals on the Halloween stuff. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete