Saturday, September 6, 2014

Haul - Vintage Chic Scents (wax)

Although I have tried a few Vintage Chic tarts through the generosity of my waxy bloggy friends, this is my first actual order.  This is a somewhat new vendor, opening at the beginning of the year, if I remember correctly.  Owner Kirby started out on the buying end, being one of the well known names in the YouTube wax community.  When she made the jump to the other side and opened her own wax shop, I was leery.  I've seen others try it, and dive in with messy products and practices, just hoping to make a buck.  Vintage Chic Scents is not one of those.  Kirby is doing it right.  Everything is pristine, well presented, well branded.  While I do wish her shop would just stay open, at least her restocks are frequent and her products are 'ready to ship' so turn around time is quick.

Let's go ahead and see what I got!

 Elm Street - 'Exclusive Fall Blend with Tiffany Candles.'

I ordered the Haunted People, Places, and Things Sampler.  It consists of seven large leaf shaped tarts, weighing a bit over 2 oz. each.  This one is Elm Street and does not have much of a scent description.  Sniffing it, I think I detect a hint of coffee, maybe a hint of caramel . . . ?  Smells good, but I wouldn't categorize it as a fall scent.

Annabelle Doll - 'Cranberry Strawberry Pomegranate. (Created by Karee.)'

I don't know who or what Annabelle Doll is but I do think the Karee who created this is TigerRaider on YouTube, one of the few I still enjoy watching.  This is almost candy-ish.  Maybe that's the sweet tartness of the cranberry?  The strawberry/pomegranate is strong.
Autumn In Salem - 'Pumpkin, cinnamon, sugared donut.'

Salem as in witches, no doubt?  I just recently, finally, finished watching the first season of the Salem series.  This orange leaf Salem is very strong on the cinnamon.  It's like a pumpkin spice scent right now on cold sniff.

Lizzie Borden’s House - 'Caramel, cinnamon, marshmallow latte.'
Did Lizzie step out to Starbucks before or after all that chopping?  Her house smells pretty good though.  On cold sniff I'm mainly getting a nice coffee scent, not too bitter, with a hint of sweetness that's probably coming from the caramel.
 House of Wax - 'Sweet maple butterscotch marshmallow cream.'
Probably my favorite of the bunch right now.  The butterscotch-maple combo is sweet and deep and rich and yummy.
The Crescent Hotel - 'Salted caramel mocha.'

When I looked up the Crescent Hotel, I found it claims to be the most haunted place in America or something like that.  Of course I got sucked into looking at all the ghost pictures.  *snort*  Some of them are pretty far fetched and seem like they'd be easy to disprove.  Anyway, this tart is a fairly strong coffee scent, not too bitter, but not too sweet either.  Not a favorite as far as coffee scents go.

The Stanley Hotel - 'Harvest (type), Vanilla Bean Noel.'
Looked this one up too and found it was Stephen King's inspiration for The Shining.  This scent is interesting, almost Christmas-y to me more than fall-like.  It's gotta be the Vanilla Bean Noel part.  When I stop and focus, I do get the spice note from Harvest, but on a quick passing sniff it comes across sort of minty.
 Film Noir - 'This mishmash of glazed cinnamon donuts, snickerdoodle and marshmallow begs the question, "Who done it?"'
In addition to the sampler, there were several scents I tried to get in scent shot form.  (Or any form, once I saw how fast they were selling out.)  Some I missed out on, but I did snag a few.  This one is a bit light right now on cold sniff.  There is a sweet note in it that reminds me of the sort of 'sour' from cheesecake or mousse scents.  Maybe it's like a raw cookie dough scent?  I don't know what that note is but right now it's kind of sickly to me.  Seems like this would be a nice, spicy bakery scent.  Something is throwing it off though.
Annabelle Doll - 'Cranberry Strawberry Pomegranate. (Created by Karee.)'

I guess I didn't realize this scent was in the sampler when I ordered it.  Oops.  Oh well, now I have extra to share.
Let It Snow - 'Melt this scent of frosted winter berry and you’ll agree: let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Since I didn't know how this ordering experience would go or if I'd get a chance to order again, I decided to grab this wintery scent while it was available.  The description doesn't give much detail but 'frost' scents usually have some mint in them somewhere.  It does seem like there is some soft, sweet mint in here.  It's not strong and sharp, so even the mint hating menfolk in my house should be okay with this.  There is also some sweetness.  I wonder if the 'berry' part is cranberry?  Strawberry?  I like this one.

 Elm Street - 'Exclusive Fall Blend with Tiffany Candles.'

I also received two freebies in my order.  Extras are always so much fun, and always appreciated.  This one happens to be another double of one of the sampler scents.  Now I can share this one too.

 Aunt Nelle's Autumn Supreme - [no scent description]

I'm really curious about this one.  When I smell the top I get something resembling the dreaded zucchini bread.  When I smell the bottom it smells like it might be apples and pumpkin.  I'd really like to know what's in this, and see how far off I am.  LOL

That is my first Vintage Chic Scents order.  I've had pretty good luck with melting the handful of tarts gifted to me, so I'm hoping these will all perform well too.  I can see myself ordering again.  Not for a while though.  Noooo, I have suddenly accumulated way too much wax again.  I might keep my eye on the site for Christmas/winter scents.  We'll see.

Oops, forgot the technical stuff.  The sampler I ordered was $17.85.  The scent shots were $1.75 each.  Shipping was $7.95, and I think it might be a flat rate charge.  I placed my order on Sunday, August 31 and received it Saturday, September 6.  Love that turn around time!

Have you ordered from Vintage Chic Scents?  What are your thoughts, your favorites?

9 comments:

  1. Awesome order and review!!!! The harvest/VBN combo sounds so good. I think you are right about Aunt Nelle's scent shot you got: zucchini bread, creamy pumpkin and mac and green apples. Good nose!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you find an Aunt Nelle's description? I didn't see it on the website. Probably the Facebook page, huh? I don't know if I should risk melting it with that potentially nasty zucpuke in there.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  2. Oh dear ... I haven't read it all yet, but you're not going to like this ...

    http://badassdigest.com/2013/07/23/the-true-story-of-annabelle-the-haunted-doll-from-the-conjuring/

    ReplyDelete
  3. GAH!!!! DAMMIT!!!!!!!
    *rocking in a corner*
    Find a safe place, find a safe place, find a safe place......

    I told you she walked around and started at people!

    ~Scarred For Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri, did you know there is an Annabelle movie coming out???? Bleah!!!!

      ~Deb

      Delete
  4. Oh. Em. Gee. They are making a movie about that Annabelle doll and I FREAK every time I see the trailer. UGH, creepy as hell! That being said, the wax scent sounds delicious. VCS sure knows her stuff for being a new vendor. It's nice to know not all new vendors are crazy! Excellent haul. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doll in the article my sister linked is a horror inducing Raggedy Ann doll, but I think the one in The Conjuring was more of a generic China doll, wasn't it? Either way, BLEAH!!!!! Did I ever tell you why I hate Raggedy Ann?

      ~Deb

      Delete
  5. I haven't had the pleasure to order directly from VCS (she's not set up for international credit cards) but I won a couple of flash sales which I am so grateful for. The leaf shapes are so adorable! Have fun melting your order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that sucks that you can't order. Where are you located? Hopefully she changes things soon so you can get some of your own. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete